First visit to France and Gaslo

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by CUJIMI, Jan 18, 2014.

1. CUJIMI

CUJIMI Funster

Hi,

we just bought our motorhome last November and are planning our first trip to France in it. We want to get to Provence as my wife was there and loved the area. We have the Carefree book from the camping and caravan club and were thinking of booking all through them. We live near Newcastle and are considering whether it is best to go over to Holland and drive down or drive down to Dover and go from Calais. We know it will be more expensive going from Newcastle, but we love driving in Holland. We have 2 dogs also.

Can anyone give us any advice on where to stay, best routes things to watch out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are also going to get converted to Gaslo as we heard that it is better if we are travelling in Europe a lot. We intend this to be the first trip of many. Has anyone any thoughts on Gaslo Vs normal propane bottles.

Again any thoughts would be appreciated.:Smile:

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

No, no, no, no !!!!!

Don't book sites !!! Buy the "All the Aires book" you will save yourself a fortune and not be restricted to being at a site at a certain time !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

And another thing......Buy the Britstops book for places to stay free of charge on your way to Dover !!
    Stay on Marine Parade then.......
    Travel with the DFDS ferry on Sunday morning at 8 am for a leisurly drive through France without the hassle of Lorries !

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CUJIMI

CUJIMI Funster

Thanks, but the advice I'm seeing is don't stay overnight at Aires, because of thieves etc. Honestly we haven't a clue.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you have pooches the Chunnel is best as they stay in the 'van with you.

Can't comment on Gaslow but ours has a built in gas tank which is sort of similar and it is very convenient and cheap to fill.

You don't need to book out of season but if you want to go to Provence in August then you probably do.

Whether you use Aires is up to you. We prefer the space you get on a proper site. On some Aires it can be cheek by jowel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hello!

You didn't really talk about the route through France you have planned if any

So if you plan to go through or near Toulouse, you're most welcome to have a free stopover at my place.

Please note I won't be home next week end nor the first 10 days of March.

If you need any details then just PM me.

Lots of room around my house for dogs walking as I live on a stadium, but totally forbidden in my garden during the working days as I am a childminder.:Smile:

Amicalement
    Frankie

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stephen & Jeannie

This refer to Aires on Autoroutes not the village aires where you will be welcomed !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Gaslo no problem here in France. Stay away from motorway and big town aires and you will be fine.
    We have stayed on many and never even felt vulnerable.:thumb:

8. CUJIMI

CUJIMI Funster

Thanks very much, to be honest we are just looking at options now, but we are very flexible. I just googled the route from Calais to Avignon and thought I'd work out a route round about that. We were thinking of travelling in April. Again thanks for the offer and we'll certainly get in touch if we are going that way.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

No one is more fussy about security than my wife but even she is completely relaxed when we stay on aires in France. I think the general view is not to stay overnight on motorway aires but the others - in small towns, villages, by the coast etc are really lovely and feel completely safe.

On our couple of trips to France we must have stayed on about 40 different aires and never had a problem. I would advise you get yourself 'All the Aires France' by Vicarious Books.

We have Gaslow in our van and have the different adaptors required for various parts of Europe. It really is easy to just fill up when you need to. Bear in mind that you can't buy Calor Gas cylinders outside the UK

Paul

10. Phill D

Phill D

you will need a French adapter for filling the gaslow there but simple and easy.

dont forget the ACSI discount book if you prefer site, or even ACSI interactive DVD if you carry a laptop we find that really the dogs bits!:Blush:

and dont need to book, we have only twice in 4 years each 6 - 8 weeks at a time arrived at a site that was full, and there was another 15 mins away:thumb:

happy travelling:thumb:

11. CUJIMI

CUJIMI Funster

Thanks very much for your input. I'm wondering if they are that good why would anyone want to stay on a campsite. I take it there is a charge to stay at an Aire. Do they have electric hookup, and a place to get rid of waste water? I have heard them mentioned but thought they were like just parking areas.:thumb:

12. Stephen & Jeannie

Google vicarious books for a peep at the book !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes to all those (except electrics, which only some offer) - yet we still use campsites.
    I can only suggest try them - all part of the fun.

14. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Some are just like parking areas but many are very scenic with grass and other green stuff to lessen the car park feeling. Nearly all have water and disposal facilities, some have leccy too and the cost varies from ermm ... free to 10 or so euros per night, either paid at a central bollard or collected in person. We crossed France to Switzerland last summer and the 5 nights or so cost us about 18 euros in all. Highly recommended. :thumb:

15. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Many aires are free but can got to 12euroish facilities vary but all have a dump for black n grey water. :Smile:

16. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Some aires are simply a corner of a town's car park, some have individual 'pitches' surrounded by hedges campsite style with your own electricity supply. Most aires have a service point where you can get water, empty waste etc. For a couple of euros you can plug in here and get a couple of hours electricity to charge up the old ipad / laptop / phone.

This video gives you a bit of an intro to aires:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9QsKyP05Q"]AIRE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW - Aires Camping-Car in France - airetoday.co.uk - YouTube[/ame]

Paul

• Like Like x 4
  17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I can recommend All the Aires book too. The first week we spent in France in our new van last year cost us €3 in total and we stayed in some superb aires. The only campsite we stayed in recently was in Dunkerque because we were late getting there and all the aires were full. ( this was in August)

Most aires have good service points with a small charge for their use. They have fresh water, toilet emptying facilities and electricity but there is usually a charge of 2 or 3 Euros for about 15 minutes of power. Long enough for Mrs A to dry her hair!
    All the Aires book will give you info on the service points and where they are situated. Make sure you have a couple of different size tap adapters because not everything is standardised over there.
    Have fun
    Allan

18. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Couple of photos of aires from our first France trip in 2012.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

?

20. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Sorry, the pics appeared after I sent the ?