Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Just back from our first trip away, and apart from getting stuck in the mud as soon as we tried to park up, it went really well.

As for preparing better next time, what do people carry for times when the ground may be a bit soft?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad to hear you enjoyed your first trip away. Spring is just around the corner so hopefully better weather on the way.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If you have an Aldi store locally, they have some snow mats for around ten quid and they come in their own bag. They're just like the Fiamma mats - maybe a little smaller.
Alternatively, carpet runner mats (Dunelm £3.50) would do, but no good when they're wet but would help you with traction.

I bought my first motorhome last month after having a VW campervan for years - I've yet to get away in it but can't wait - is there anything that you took with you which you'd reccommend me taking or anything that you didn't take that you wished you took?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As for preparing better next time, what do people carry for times when the ground may be a bit soft?

Brains. You soon learn the limitations of your vehicle and avoid them as much as possible. Like NEVER go down hill on anything like grass, you will not get back up. Reverse onto pitch and leave your front/drive wheels on solid/dry.

We do carry two 6' lengths of plastic mesh that has saved us.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go somewhere drier and ideally with hard standing next time! It has rained all day here and I wouldn't have liked to have been in a field even if I had four wheel drive. If the ground is soft enough you will sink so much the vehicle's body sits on the ground and you will go nowhere. I speak as someone who has bogged a 6 X 6.

But glad you had a good trip. Memorable.

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
just don't get caught borrowing the bread trays

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
If you have an Aldi store locally, they have some snow mats for around ten quid and they come in their own bag. They're just like the Fiamma mats - maybe a little smaller.
Alternatively, carpet runner mats (Dunelm £3.50) would do, but no good when they're wet but would help you with traction.

I bought my first motorhome last month after having a VW campervan for years - I've yet to get away in it but can't wait - is there anything that you took with you which you'd reccommend me taking or anything that you didn't take that you wished you took?

I guess because of the weather It would have been good to have a mat to wipe our feet on before going inside. We also bought slippers while there for inside the van. Because we got stuck, I was unable to level the van up (luckily it wasnt miles off) but if I had tried I would have realised I didn't have a level!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Great news, where did you go, did you sty dry and warm, what did you do when you got there, or was it all a bit experimental?

We went to Ipswich as we have family there. After getting stuck, we just put the kettle on and relaxed. We werent getting pulled out until Sunday so no point worrying about it. We caught a bus into the town on Saturday (after finding out where our towing eye is stored) and did some shopping then out to the pub for a meal as it was my birthday. We stayed toastie while in the van and left the heating on "3" through the night and was warm when we woke up to a frost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Go somewhere drier and ideally with hard standing next time! It has rained all day here and I wouldn't have liked to have been in a field even if I had four wheel drive. If the ground is soft enough you will sink so much the vehicle's body sits on the ground and you will go nowhere. I speak as someone who has bogged a 6 X 6.

But glad you had a good trip. Memorable.

We went to Toad Hall site in Ipswich and when we booked, they said they had hardstanding. We got there and there was only one hardstanding and it had an RV on it, so we had no choice. Not many (any other) site around there open all year.

Upvote 0

Lou

Free Member
Feb 23, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Ford
Exp
Preparing for 2nd trip away. In UK. Maybe next week would have better when more sites are open ...but...what is a bread tray?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Because we got stuck, I was unable to level the van up (luckily it wasnt miles off) but if I had tried I would have realised I didn't have a level!

Glad you enjoyed it jaykay, better still, now you know you like it you will have a wonderful time abroad. Just check on play store for level and you will never be without one again.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Just check on play store for level and you will never be without one again.
If you have Truma heating, download the Truma app. It has a level as one of its functions. There are plenty of others that just do the levelling bit, but it saves cluttering up the phone with too many apps if you can combine a few jobs.

I have one of those small levels with two short spirit levels at 90 degrees to each other. Bought it years ago in caravanning days (or might even have 'inherited' it from my father!). They are only a pound or two I think. I'd glue it down permanently, but the only flat surface in view from the driver's seat is the floor just behind & between the seats. Wouldn't last long there!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back