First trip to the weighbridge

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Sep 18, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

Just visited the weighbridge to check the axle weights for our Nexxo T660 Sovereign. Book says MIRO of 2945kg, but I have 2 13kg gas bottles (calor) and a second leisure battery so that should add about 60kg to that, lets say 3000kg. Weighbridge says front axle 1500kg, rear axle 1580kg (measured separately). S0 3080kg. We had put a few kg of personal stuff in but no more than 20kg. So probably about right. When they checked the vehicle as a total (third weighing) it measured 3200kg! Quite a difference. Anyone else had measurements done like this? Weighbridge operator said to allow tolerance of +/- 40kg. I'm going to use the individual weights combined I think. Chassis is standard 3500kg. 95% fuel, 90%water, driver at 65kg.

Now to contact Continental to see what tyre pressures to use.

2. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Not heard of the Total weight being more than the combined axle weights before. We have always weighed ours on Weighbridges where you drive slowly over a plate and the front axle shows first then the rear axle (as long as you are going over forwards :) ) and then the total wight which has always been the sum of the two axles.

3. stevec

stevec Funster

This was done by putting front axle on the sclale, then the rear, then the whole thing. Was shocked when he told me the total. Maybe call in at another weighbridge when out on a trip somewhere.

4. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Was the approach to the plate level or up a ramp?

5. stevec

stevec Funster

Was up a ramp but got the off-scale wheels as close to the platform as possible.

6. Abacist

Abacist Funster

If its not level then the weight is not likely to be accurate for each axle but probably right overall.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we had the same when weighing on a weighbridge with ramped approach, IMO the total weight will be the most accurate (y)

8. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Wen I put mine on a weighbridge it came out 50kg difference for the calculated sum to the total weighed.

Plate 1850 front, 2000 rear, total 3500kg
    Weighbridge 1740 front, 1640 rear, (3380 tot) weighed total 3330kg

9. stevec

stevec Funster

The manufacturers MIRO is 2945. I know they can be a bit optomistic but over 200kg out seems a little much. When we load up for a holiday I'll check it again.

10. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

My axle weights never equal the total, like others have said it's the ramp effecting the down thrust.

11. Kirsten

Kirsten Funster

We went to weighbridge for first time before our last trip to France with the van fully laden including a full tank of water and petrol. Must confess to being confused by the measures, but we were very happy when the weight of the van was far less than the 3500 max we [think] we are ok to have.. was weighed once both axles 3200.... this included weight of driver. Plenty room for wine on return trip...huzzah