Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
This will be my first trip over the water. We want to visit the Dordogne would you go toll road or non toll? Can anyone give me routes toll or non toll please

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Where are you going to be coming from? Channel tunnel or one of the ferries? :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Toll if you want to go quickly without too much traffic, non-toll if you want to save money and don't mind more traffic and spending more time en route.

Personally, if arriving in Calais or anywhere west of that I'd take the fastest available route that goes well to the west of Paris - the Boulevard Peripherique is not much fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Toll free is real easy, when I looked at timing differences on westerly route return from Spain last week, not really much in it in a motorhome...But we use some tolls to get around worse bits...

Life off the tolls much nicer, with bread shops, bars, shops, and Aires/campsites all over the place, plus importantly cheap Supermarket fuel!:)

The N road system good enough for us....

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Personally we avoid tolls and love the N roads , we use mostly aires in villages, can't recommend a route as we tend to wander about, the time we visited the Dordogne we had been over too the Ile de Re & after that did Millau bridge & the Ardeche gorge . Can't seem to do straight journeys!!!
That was over a period of 3 weeks, but as my handle suggests we dont stop any where for long , move on most days for a few hours driving.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Agree with all of the above.

Will add that Sat Nav timing calcs are not always correct.

Sat Nav suggests hours longer using N Roads, in my experience times are generally not much slower than using the peage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Totally agree; N roads are good if you have the time and not in a hurry, no need to use tolls at all.

don't miss Gouffre de Padirac.

To be honest, when switching sat nav between toll non toll on way home last week there was not really much difference driving a motorhome...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for using the N roads, a lot of RN (Route Nationals) were re- classified as D roads some yeas ago now a D road can be anything from a narrow single caraigeway to an almost motorway standard dual carriage way.
For a quick free route to the Dordogne you can pick up the A20 just south of Orleans and all the way to Brive on free Autoroute.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree with all of the above, no need for tolls, By the way, great choice of destination, Dont forget to hire a kayak best way to see some stunning scenery. Have a great time !:)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Second the kayaking and the gouffre de padirac, also a visit to sarlat old town. Enjoy whatever so much to see and do.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Toll free is real easy, when I looked at timing differences on westerly route return from Spain last week, not really much in it in a motorhome...But we use some tolls to get around worse bits...

Life off the tolls much nicer, with bread shops, bars, shops, and Aires/campsites all over the place, plus importantly cheap Supermarket fuel!:)

The N road system good enough for us....

@Judgemental .....Judge! what is this this? I thought you were an advocate of 'life's too short' to hang around and go slow....:rolleyes:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Basically, get to that A20 whichever way you like - I usually avoid going into Rouen centre by turning off at 49.43389, 1.10687 (a bit tricky in traffic but hold your line and it's fine) - then pick up the 154 just south of Rouen at 49.24064, 1.18547 then keep going south until Vierzon where you connect to the A20. It's all downhill from there.
The only toll section I might use is on the A16 from J29 to J28 to avoid going down and back up again.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Judgemental .....Judge! what is this this? I thought you were an advocate of 'life's too short' to hang around and go slow....:rolleyes:

Never go slow....before I retired used to use tolls as time was tighterand had more money. I can get to Spain in a few days, just drive all day, not much else to do on your own if wife flying back. In the summer we tour down to Italy and around.

I listen to music and audio books to pass the time on long drives....a friend will not drive more then 3 hrs a day but goes away for many months...different strokes for different folks:)

Can anyone tell me if you have a digital radio in van can you listen to UK radio channels in Europe?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We went last year, straight down east side of Paris , can't tell you what roads we were on but all toll free. Went to clermont ferand then across to blaye, if you you really want to know I could find the roads out for you, also we stayed on aires all the way for free but did do a couple of France passions in between.
Don't know for sure but don't think you'll get anything on your radio.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We usually troll south slowly taking a few days much prefer do only do 100-150 miles a day, but once south if the weather is good stay as long as possible & then hammer it back, may change this year as fully retired.

DAB, yes you can get UK stations providing you holiday in Calais:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We usually troll south slowly taking a few days much prefer do only do 100-150 miles a day, but once south if the weather is good stay as long as possible & then hammer it back, may change this year as fully retired.

DAB, yes you can get UK stations providing you holiday in Calais:D

Another plan shot down in flames...:)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Another vote for using the N roads, a lot of RN (Route Nationals) were re- classified as D roads some yeas ago now a D road can be anything from a narrow single caraigeway to an almost motorway standard dual carriage way.
For a quick free route to the Dordogne you can pick up the A20 just south of Orleans and all the way to Brive on free Autoroute.

Or you can swing round Limoges to pick up the N21 and stopover with us. You'll be very welcome and will almost certainly meet other Funsters - perhaps even the Chief Munchie! Now there's a WOW factor for you.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We use a mix of toll and non-toll. Last year we loved St Jean de Luz so much, we ended up staying way over our portioned time and hit the toll road to belt back up to Bordeaux, was ok, worth the cost to get from A to B quickly. Love non tolls too and use those a lot. There's a place for both. First thing we do when we get to France is put on Radio Nostalgie, great to hear french tunes and the odd brit one. Do yourself a favour and ditch the uk way of life. Getting into the language, music and customs is part of being there and the french love it once you've left Normandy. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back