First trip to Spain but not good with hights. Bit embarrassed!

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by MarshandLiz, Aug 28, 2016.

1. MarshandLiz

MarshandLiz Funster

Hi guys,

Don't mean to sound pathetic but I struggle with heights and we really want to visit Spain in December are there any roads I should avoid (too high) or any you would recommend.

I look forward to hearing from you to start our new adventure.

2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Where are you planning to visit in Spain and what is the max height that you can cope with?

3. Speve

Speve Funster

You don't want to travel via Millau then that's very high!

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

unless you just stay by the coast all interiour spain is high . madrid is the highest capital in eu. just about all inland is very close to being higher than ben nevis .

5. MarshandLiz

MarshandLiz Funster

Thanks for your replies.

We were planning to visit Madrid as we didn't want to go too far on our first away adventure and as we are leaving from NE Scotland Madrid is a good distance.

I had no idea Madrid was so high but I suppose it depends how we get there. Hopefully, no narrow mountain roads with long drops.

6. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Nothing pathetic about it, but wondered if you have tried hypnotherapy. worked wonders for me. Have the occcassional 'wobble' still but now can travel without so many detours. Find also that the drops, bridges and narrow roads bother me less when I am driving.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Fletton

Fletton Funster

I get dizzy with two pair of sock on !!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

in truth you leave the coast and up you go.
    for many the scenery is fantastic .
    once inland its flat but just high.
    there are mountains etc but you can miss most of them .
    many will say the plains in spain are boring , it can be if you stay on main roads .
    but really its full of adventures .
    at times you could think you are in scotland . there are gorse bushes and fir trees but if you stop look at them they arent the same as in scotland . nor cornwall where i live .
    my mate is from fort william so he is always aware of the heights.
    but you travel for miles and its amazing , the scenery and the distances you can see is mind blowing .
    madrid is ok . very busy . but stop at a tourist bord office and you can get good street maps etc , usually free .
    have fun . i,m sure you will be amazed .

• Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You need to reconsider. The Netherlands is for you.

Spain is mountain after mountain as you travel south, it's fantastic. You stagger to the top of a mountain and there is a great big plain in front of you and in the distance your next mountain range.

As others have said, the coast road is flat but you do have to get there. To do that you have to pass the Pyrenees.

10. MarshandLiz

MarshandLiz Funster

Thank you so much for your advice.

I have attended one session of Hypnotherapy and have two to go so fingers crossed all will be good and I will conquer all but just in case I wanted to know I can take my beautiful lady on the trip she deserves.

• Like Like x 2
  11. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

No Problem! Use this link for France. http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

(This assumes you want to travel down the Atlantic side of France which will be snow free in December and with no major hills to climb).

I recommend using the partial toll option down to Bordouex. South of Bordouex (A63) exit at Jct 18 rejoin at 17. exit again at 12 rejoin at 8 and pay the last 3 toll booths before crossing into Spain, about 8 euros in total.

You have not given a destination in Spain so I will go no further but you may want to look at this link for your route options.
    http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm
    Safe Travels

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Momo

Momo Funster

Just saying...Spain is the second country with most mountains, in Europe, after Switzerland and not many people know that!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Yes that maybe so, but unless you stick to the coast you are unlikely to be on roads where a fear of heights becomes a problem. I would avoid trying to "cross" the Pyrenees; in this instance I would go round the western edge, Biarritz etc. The autoroute/autovia does go through some mountain passes but the roads are wide and open so you should have no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  14. glastry

glastry Funster

You might need some kind of therapy after you have experienced the Madrid city traffic!!
    Joking aside ,it might be a more enjoyable visit if you could find a "campsite",well out of town and travel in by bus or train?
    Just a thought,and I admit I have very bad memory's of the place. --including having to stop on a high level roundabout,
    Because there was smoke coming out of the dashboard,it was Christmas day and the traffic was "light".
    Enjoy your trip,apart from moaning about the traffic,it is an amazing place.

15. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Madrid is interesting but it will be cold in December. I would suggest 3 days there and then head west to Portuagal or south / east to get some winter sunshine. You can avoid narrow roads but can't always avoid roads with long drops - but you can avoid looking at the drops :)

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

could take ferry to santander then just drift along the coast.
    i find cantarbria and asturia the best part of spain . i could almost live there . galicia is nice but does get a bit up and down plus more ship wreck type coves etc .
    or head the other way but i dont like that as nice as getting off ferry and turning right and follow the sea .

• Like Like x 2
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as others have said december can be cold . when my kids were growing up we spent many decembers and january,s along that north area of spain . it can be ok on the coast . but thick jumpers etc are what you need . was warm enough to go surfing . but not hot . some lovely village places nice bars and very friendly people .

• Like Like x 1
  18. MarshandLiz

MarshandLiz Funster

Thank you again for your replies they are all inspiring and I will start by wearing two pair of socks just to get used to being higher off terra firma. Last question, would it be easier to drive from Santander to Barcelona avoiding Madrid for our first trip.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

think i would miss barcelona . thats another busy place . better to just drop a bit below near sitges then follow the coast.
    mind i like the valencia region sagunta etc . or higher up torre nostra . penisclola . i like torre de sal but not in the campsites .

20. MarshandLiz

MarshandLiz Funster

Thanks vwlan, sounds like we have our first Spanish adventure how exciting!