JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Enjoy, and also enjoy the freedom to wild camp in Scotland - it's a freedom we don't enjoy South of the border, so make the most of it before some bureaucrat decides that it's "against the national interest"!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have fun and enjoy. Whereabouts in Scotland are you off to? You will need to print off a funster sticker to put in your window so we can all spot you now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Enjoy, and also enjoy the freedom to wild camp in Scotland - it's a freedom we don't enjoy South of the border, so make the most of it before some bureaucrat decides that it's "against the national interest"!

what freedom do you refer ?

The The Land Reform Act Scotland does not include camping in motorised transport..

The laws on off site camping are the same as the rest of the UK ..

Wild "Camping' is done in small tents for two or three nights.. not in a caravan or motorhome..

The Access Code says:

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply,

Deleted User
what freedom do you refer ?

The The Land Reform Act Scotland does not include camping in motorised transport..

The laws on off site camping are the same as the rest of the UK ..

Wild "Camping' is done in small tents for two or three nights.. not in a caravan or motorhome..

The Access Code says:

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply,
I think the point is that in Scotland you can wild camp in a lot of places without any hassle from the locals. There are many car parks where overnight camping is not banned and there is a lot of freedom in being able to wild camp. In England a lot of councils have banned overnight parking from laybys and car parks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the point is that in Scotland you can wild camp in a lot of places without any hassle from the locals. There are many car parks where overnight camping is not banned and there is a lot of freedom in being able to wild camp. In England a lot of councils have banned overnight parking from laybys and car parks.

yes.. I agree.. it is easier in Scotland.. but it is not a 'freedom' nor a right, or a difference in the law from the rest of the UK

Overnight camping in a lay-by on major roads is covered by @GJH in his excellent web site http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

Deleted User
This FOI reply is also helpful.

With reference to your enquiry regarding the legality of ‘No Overnight Parking’ signs, I can confirm that they are not enforceable in the Highland Council area.
I cannot confirm that this is the case on trunk roads and I can only advise you to contact Transport Scotland and make enquiries with them or Bear Scotland who maintain the trunk roads in the Highland Council area.

Regards

Operational Support Officer
Highland Council
94 Diriebught Road
Inverness

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We go for a weekend camp on the west or north coast all the time, never have a problem and the views are fantastic. Though to get to the west coast, Achiltibuie or Scourie for instance is only an hour or so for us as we live near Cromarty (just above Inverness).

Do it, you'll not regret it at all. There are plenty of sites about too if you need to top up batteries empty tanks etc.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Yes, Scotjimland is spot on. The right to wild camp in a tent is often confused by motorhomers with the right to park up anywhere for the night.

It is more free and easy up here at the moment, however the recent proliferation of MHs on the NC500 and thereabouts, 'wild camping' is beginning to grate with some locals.

I have previously mentioned that I am a Director of Tarbat Historic Trust and Trustee of Tarbat Discovery Centre, we offer free overnight parking to members of Britstops and have also mentioned this on the NC500 website. This has brought extra visitors to our museum and also into the local village of Portmahomack.

It came to my notice very recently that some member/s of the local Community Council had complained that we were doing local business out of trade, which is of course quite the opposite of the case (just look at the Aires system in France where local councils encourage motorhomes to visit and stay).

However this does illustrate the growing attitude of SOME local people towards the motorhome community.

Come, enjoy, park sensibly and spend some money locally - that is the answer.

KH

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hope no funster been caught out with the skimming devices found on two machines in Mallaig since 08.00 Friday. Both RBS abd B of Scotland ATMS involved.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It isn't the case that English councils have banned overnight camping (not parking) in off street car parks, the facility was never there in the first place. That is broadly similar in the rest of the UK, including Scotland.
The reason why overnight camping is allowed in some car parks in Scotland is that the legal order did not restrict it. That, also, is the case in the rest of the UK (including a car park a quarter of a mile from where we live on Tees-side).

See the entry for Highland Council Here for more information.

By the way, we are also in Scotland at the moment - THS at Dalkeith :)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Yes, Scotjimland is spot on. The right to wild camp in a tent is often confused by motorhomers with the right to park up anywhere for the night.

I have previously mentioned that I am a Director of Tarbat Historic Trust and Trustee of Tarbat Discovery Centre, we offer free overnight parking to members of Britstops and have also mentioned this on the NC500 website. This has brought extra visitors to our museum and also into the local village of Portmahomack.

It came to my notice very recently that some member/s of the local Community Council had complained that we were doing local business out of trade, which is of course quite the opposite of the case (just look at the Aires system in France where local councils encourage motorhomes to visit and stay).

However this does illustrate the growing attitude of SOME local people towards the motorhome community.

KH

Currently making a slow route back from Shetland via Orkney to Thurso tonight at Cairngorm, couldn't believe how many MH on the 500. Think these honeypot routes risk losing a lot of local goodwill due to pisstakers.

Would have stayed with the Rev last night at Portmahomack apart from the Sunday moving restriction.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
You could have stayed overnight for free at the Tarbat Discovery Centre Fastpat which is just up the road!

Your comments are interesting, this is what I said in a previous thread:

SWMBO and I live on the Fearn Peninsula just a handful of miles off the NC500 and we have noticed a large increase in motorhomes on the A9 this year. Various parts of the NC500 have been our regular stomping ground for many years (and for the past 2 years in our own motorhome) and also as a part of my own business taking photographers out in the area.

One of the attractions for visitors is the 'remoteness', tranquillity of the area and the fact that you could drive for miles without seeing another vehicle. We spent a few days away up on the North Coast last week and we both commented on the number of motorhomes and motorcycles we were encountering, especially on the single track sections.

We began to wonder how long it would be before Highland Council came under pressure to widen the roads for safety purposes. Then we speculated at what point the popularity of the route meant that so many vehicles were using the NC500 that one of the very reasons for it being popular was so diminished by the number of visitors that people stopped visiting the area? Can you imagine it, every roadside spot occupied by a motorhome 'wild camping', roads clogged with traffic, all viewpoints full of parked cars (a bit like the Lake District when we were there last year)!

Of course there have been many benefits to businesses along the route. Many tea shops, restaurants, B&Bs, campsites, museums and local attractions have seen an increase in business. Although I have heard that people in motorhomes often stock up with fuel and supplies at the big supermarkets in Inverness before setting off on the route due to the cost of fuel and goods up here. Indeed the
Tarbat Discovery Centre (free overnight parking for a couple of motorhomes) of which I am a Director and Trustee has seen extra visitors whom we know have been following the NC500.

When I saw Robert's post it made me think if SWMBO and I may indeed be seeing portents of the future.

So I would say to Robert and others, please come up and visit our wonderful area with its spectacular views and wildlife, just make sure you spend a little money locally, be sensible and sensitive where you park up and if you really want to see the area with all its peace, tranquillity and remoteness and have a real adventure, do the NC500 in winter when the roads really are empty and quiet. Well, not too many of you though as we don't want it spoiled do we?

KH

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started

But in practice, informal off-road parking takes place in many parts of rural Scotland, often in well-established places, without causing undue concern. In my experience concern sprouts from those who don't camp responsibly. This is an issue whether the camping is formal or informal, so it's probably best to focus on that rather than the definition of formal, informal, wild, access etc. Education may be a good place to start.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Although I have heard that people in motorhomes often stock up with fuel and supplies at the big supermarkets in Inverness before setting off on the route due to the cost of fuel and goods up here.

We still have to start out ventures in our MH , but if i was going to somewhere Quiet / remote then i would be one of those people who made sure everything was stocked up , as you would not know when you would next be able to get re stocked.
Especially with petrol & Gas

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Remember to wear your hard hat and flack jacket the next time you post :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
28 days notification to get rid of you or 3 days with expedited eviction. Plenty of time to enjoy the Free wild camping :party2:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But in practice, informal off-road parking takes place in many parts of rural Scotland, often in well-established places, without causing undue concern. In my experience concern sprouts from those who don't camp responsibly. This is an issue whether the camping is formal or informal, so it's probably best to focus on that rather than the definition of formal, informal, wild, access etc. Education may be a good place to start.
The other factor in comparing Scotland and England, of course, is that Scotland has far more land (pro rata) which is both rural and accessible for off site camping. Much of the acceptance comes from the expense of enforcement, unless it becomes a problem (as we have seen in some places). As you say, if people would just camp responsibly then that is likely to continue.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
drove Thurso to Ullapool last week and the road was very busy. but people should learn to drive properly on single track roads before attempting them.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
One problem we see on single track roads is other vans closing up on ours, it's best to leave a large gap as often two vans will not fit in a passing place so a bit of manouvering is required. We have single track roads here where I live so I have a lot of experience of this.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
there is a bit of etiquette to driving single track roads, timing of arriving at passing places so no-one has to stop, working out who should go into the side, don't go into a passing place which is on your right hand side of the road, downhill giving way to uphill, don't use passing places as convenient photo opportunity stops, hugging the inside on blind bends, where there is always a passing place, and many more. No hard and fast rules but a bit of common sense just makes life easier for all.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

KH

I was "born & bred in The Port" (Portmahomack) and owned a house there until 1990 - I still go back once or twice every year and park in my cousins garden - he lives opposite the cemetery just along from the Discovery Centre.

Photo shows our van in his back garden - a bit of a squeeze getting it in (and an even harder one getting it out) but I always enjoy my stay there :)
13346756_10155777465958644_2304044542176444602_n.jpg

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Photo shows our van in his back garden - a bit of a squeeze getting it in (and an even harder one getting it out) but I always enjoy my stay there :)
You are welcome to stay in the car park of the museum. :) I hope that you pop in occasionally for a visit.

KH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back