First trip to France.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sarat, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sarat

Sarat Read Only Funster

Hi, My name is Sadie. My husband, Paul and I are newbies. We are going to France on Tuesday the 18th and are hoping to meet fellow club members. We are sailing from Roslare to Cherbourg. This is our first time taking the van out of Ireland and we are a bit unsure of ourselves. I'm sure a lot of you will know how we feel. We are a funloving couple in our very early 60s and would love to meet and chat to other campervaners. we just joined today, so would appreciate any tips or advice. We are motorhoming for 2 years in Ireland, but not a lot. We have a Fiat Ducata Lunar Roadstar 01 reg.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi Sadie & Paul and :welcome:

from Normandie

:france:

3. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

HI, welcome

You will love France, easier than driving in the UK, many more places to stay.

Avoid the toll roads, the main roads are quiet and better surfaced than ours.

Enjoy your trip (I'm sure you will)

4. sedge

sedge Funster

Hi

I don't think being you first time or your 21st time makes andy difference to whether you run into (not literally hpefully) other forum members or not - we've been over there 9 or 10 times since we joined the forum 3 ish years ago, and have never yet seen another van with a Motorhomefun sticker - I always specifically check British vans for that!

We seem to speak to one heck of a lot more Dutch people than we do English or French, the language barrier being the main prob with the French whereas most Dutch people have more than a smattering of English - although we had small conversations with several of our French neighbours during this last month. In fact just last Monday we managed quite a long chat to a couple parked next to us in Seurre about various caves we'd each visited in France and also the various benefits and pitfalls of each of our vans - they had an Adria. I commented elsewhere that it's the most French I've ever actually comprehended and spoken in one go, since my GCE O level Oral exam in 1966 ! It was good !

We can all manage a cheery Bonjour to everyone we pass along the way anyway, I'm sure!

Plus when the chap at the tyre fitting place discovered why one of our tyres kept going down, by discovering the fat 2 ins long bolt embedded in it - even my husband managed to speak French quite immediately and naturally. Oh MERDE! he said ......

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Hi Sadie and welcome. We are off to France on the 18th as well, taking the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry and then takin three days to get down to somewhere in Provence for a month. This will be our longest trip away and hope that the house will be sold in the meantime!
    all the best for your journey.
    Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

P.s. use the toll roads, a much nicer way to shift some miles!

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:party2::welcome::party2:

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome Sadie-you will love France :BigGrin:
    We go from Dover-Dunkirk on Mon. morn and will be heading to Vosges region to visit the Lalique museum at Wingen-sur-Moder before heading into Luxemburg and then on into Germany and down the Mosel.
    We hope to meet up with Funsters en-route and tentative arrangements have been made :BigGrin:
    Good luck-enjoy.

Mike.

9. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Hi & :welcome:

I would say not to try to travel too far in one day, avoid toll roads unless you need to get some miles in and just go with the flow.
    Have always found French people very friendly and helpful although as always it does help to try to speak a little French even if just basic Bonjour etc. We have also found that most nationality campers are friendly especially if you break the ice :thumb:
    If staying on campsites, most are very good and welcoming. Aires are brilliant if just wanting a night stopover.

Don't worry. Just enjoy. You will love it.

Happy Travels

• Like Like x 1
  10. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

I went on my first trip to France in June, loed the country and the people, looking foreward to next year..............Del

11. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

If you visit the Limousin, pop into see us at Parc Verger (www.parcverger.com) - we have Funsters on site, and there's a Funster discount if you stay over!:thumb:
    Bob

• Like Like x 1
  12. quarryjmiller

quarryjmiller Read Only Funster

There I was relaxing at home on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon and you go and make this post........all. I did was open the link and now I'm itching to get down there!

• Like Like x 1