First trip to France in a MH what should we take? (2 Viewers)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I think its now called a conversation, Frankie, can you explain as I have never done one.

Hymie

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I always think that Hair shampoo and conditioner are more expensive in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get a good rate using ATMs if you have a visa debit card but when it asks you if you want to be charged in Euros or GBP choose the latter as you will then be charged using the visa exchange rate which will be very close to the market exchange rate.

Of course things like clarity and pre-payment cards are also good but don't forget the debit card. :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I think its now called a conversation, Frankie, can you explain as I have never done one.

Hymie

@Hils Just have a look at the top tools bar, where your username stands , just next to it is INBOX . click on it you will then read "start a new conversation", this is a private message

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Has anyone got a price for the Endless Breeze? It did t come up on the above link
There's an Ebay seller offering click and collect at Argos same price

£76.99

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks we have got most of those things, but not the ASCI book. I'll put that on the list. Mr Hils has every aire book and map book that exists.
I was wondering about this fan as we could put it in the rooflight. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/comfort/vent/turbo-kit/ It's a toss up between that and the endless breeze. We have cab aircon (doesn't work very well) but not habitation

The turbovent is brilliant, we have one though not the one for the large Heki. Ours is a complete replacement for the small roof vent over our bed, thermostatically controlled so it can be on a low speed (where it is close to silent) when we go to bed and turns off when the temperature drops.
Recommend the ACSI book and card, some savings are enormous, others negligible.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Anthea... you're gonna make me cross LOL (cause I keep saying it!!) ! No breathalyser is needed in France, not even one or half one, none at all;):)
Has that changed since last year?! Please don't get cross as I've never seen a cross green frog as per your avatar before!!:LOL:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
You will certainly run out of gas. I use the standard pigtail that screws onto the regulator (M20) with the 21.8 LH thread on the other end which fits small 4.5kg Calor bottles BUT! fits French gas bottles. I use the cream 10Kg bottles from Intermarche and the blue Butagaz bottles. Deposit =1 whole Euro!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Has that changed since last year?! Please don't get cross as I've never seen a cross green frog as per your avatar before!!:LOL:
I believe the law has been scrapped in full now.
It was advisable to carry two, and law to carry one, so you always had a usable one, but the fine (€11 from memory) was definitely abolished meaning even if you didnt have one there was no penalty.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You won't need silver screens - only really needed if it get to freezing and they take up quite a bit of space!
Take as little as possible as you might be close to the 3.5ton already - check your payload!

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks ojibay. We are actually 4 ton so have plenty of payload.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Be aware of slightly different supermarket checkout processes. In some places people put their empty bags to carry shopping in on the belt before the actual shopping so cashier can see they are empty. If you are carrying any bags with anything in, even a backpack, the cashier or security may want to look in it.
Don't take lots of food over, not necessary. But, if there is anything you really prefer and don't want to change then take that. As has been said above, we take a couple of packs of good uk back bacon, as much fresh milk as we can use within the bottle date (you can't always get fresh skimmed everywhere), it's semi skimmed mainly or UHT. HP brown sauce.
Any medication you might need.
Before you go, have a good old uk chippy fish and chips, no one does that like us.;)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Before you go, have a good old uk chippy fish and chips, no one does that like us.;)

There are many Brit run fish & chip outlets in France, normally mobile, a differing village each day/night to satisfy the cravings of the expat. community!!!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
There are many Brit run fish & chip outlets in France, normally mobile, a differing village each day/night to satisfy the cravings of the expat. community!!!
Every town and village had a mobile fish and chip van. Seem to recall they were always scrumptious.
chippy.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you buy fruit and veg in french supermarkets you have to weigh it and put the sticker on before you go to the check out this caught us out once

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Loads of useful advice. Thanks everyone.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
if you buy fruit and veg in french supermarkets you have to weigh it and put the sticker on before you go to the check out this caught us out once
Not Intermarche or Simply - unless they have changed in the last couple of months, but in the others you might be holding up the queue if you have to go back and weight them:oops:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
You can get a good rate using ATMs if you have a visa debit card but when it asks you if you want to be charged in Euros or GBP choose the latter as you will then be charged using the visa exchange rate which will be very close to the market exchange rate.

Apologies in advance if I have mis-understood this but I always thought that when in euroland at an ATM ask to be charged in euros or anywhere else in the local currency.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If you want to eat out the best value meals are to be found in the lunchtime restaurants. Look out for the ones with several lorries parked outside between 12 and 1. Typically 4 courses including wine for around 12 euros. Do not confuse them with UK transport cafes.

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
They are really for lorry drivers lunch but all are welcome. And, of course, plenty of parking room. Only open weekdays and for lunch. But usually very good and cheap. No choice or at least not much.

Relais Routiers: http://www.relais-routiers.com/

In French but fairly easy to work out on the map. No idea if they have an app these days.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@billym you are absolutely right, senility getting the best of me. You should ask to be charged in euros. Many thanks for picking me up! :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Best bit of kit that we carry with us is a good sized vacuum jug. Boil your kettle for a cuppa before you leave site and top up the jug at the same time, then when you want to stop for a break on route you have instant hot water without having to turn on the gas and boil again. Simple, but so are we!!:happy:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
And don't forget that 5th-6th May is Ascension and 16th Is Pentecost = supermarkets are closed.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are just planning our first trip to France and maybe Spain. Planning to leave around 12th April and not sure how long we will go for. It depends how we get on. It could be around 6 weeks. I'm doing a list of what we need before we go.
We've already got things like ,hi viz jackets, and a triangle,spare fuses and bulbs, spare driving glasses
first aid kit.
We've got chairs, table bikes, silverscreen, bbq wind brake various gas filling attachments, same for water
Insurance and brake down cover. Health insurance.
We've decided to leave the carpets at home.
What we haven't got is aircon. We can't afford it. Would it be worth buying a fan? Any other suggestion?
What do you find really necessary? Any help really appreciated.

Two triangles for Spain,,BUSBY.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just relax and go for it sounds like you have all the stuff. After a couple of days try to relax and stop planning to much meander and go with the flow!!!!

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back