First Trip to Europe, Wife Nervous

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Paul an Jane MK, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

Hi All,

Appreciate any advice, we have been pottering around UK since we bought our Moho in May enjoying the freedom and facilities on tap where ever we go.

I am very tempted to take advantage of the long Christmas break and head south for some slightly better weather (I did say slightly) maybe Southern France or Perhaps Southern Italy going for about ten days (for me it is as much about the trip as the destination.)

As we have a dog we would probably take the Tunnel, so my Wifes first worry is the immigrants at Calais. As a first time journey would it be best to stick to France which I get the impression is more welcoming to Motorhomes, any advice appreciated to ensure a succesful trip and put my Wifes mind at rest.

Paul

2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Firstly southern italy is much too far for 10 days. Southern France is pushing it too in my opinion. Northern France more realistic but weather not much different to UK.
    I share concern about calais but I've not been recently so can't advise. Those that have been mostly report no problems.
    Personally I'd stick to somewhere nice in UK for Christmas break, can be excellent if you get some decent weather
    I would like to go to France next year so ill be keeping an eye on calais situation. Reports on BBC this morning not encouraging !

3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

The tunnel is fine, no issue with migrants. its very heavily fenced off since the problems last year. There hasn't been any reports of migrants there this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Paul

I can't make any promises about the weather but as you know the further South you go the better your chances are, I wouldn't worry about going on the tunnel as 1000's are doing it every day but your good lady might feel safer doing in in daylight.

Yes France is Motorhome friendly but so is Germany, the Rhine and Mosel areas have 100's of Stellplatz, the one thing to be aware of would be availability of water, if its too cold a lot of the Aires and Stellplatz places turn it off at the mains to stop it freezing.

Martin

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

For the best winter weather it has to be Spain and the Murcia region in particular. Southern Portugal also an option but can be wetter.

I wouldn't worry about migrants but travel during daylight would be advisable.

You would enjoy southern France as well I think so why not head there and if it gets too wet drop down into Spain?

• Like Like x 3
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

Why not go just now? France is great.

7. Richard Birkett

Richard Birkett Funster

GO!
    Some trepidation is natural for the first Motorhome sojourn in Europe but don't be put off.
    The only problem you'll encounter with Calais immigrants is the heartache as you sail past the camp & see the conditions they have to endure.
    As far as destination is concerned, if you really want warmer weather, then you've got to put in the miles but if you're happy with weather similar to here, France or Germany are Motorhome heaven compared to the UK.
    If the choice is between UK or Europe, I'd opt for Europe every time.
    Go and have a great time.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MikeD

MikeD Funster

If you are nervous why not visit ParcVerger or Twin lakes near limousine and Bordeaux

Not sure about the weather for the time of year you wish to travel but I am sure you will receive a warm welcome from both sites.

There are usually a funster or two at either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We went to France through the tunnel on 1August and returned two days ago. Did not see any sign of migrants on either journey.

As others have suggested, travel during daylight when it comes to the crossing, remembering that days will be much shorter during mid-winter.

No reason you shouldn't go to France at Christmas time, but much nicer at this time of year in my opinion. Tend to hop on a plane Dec / Jan and head further south - Canaries are a favourite for significantly warmer weather.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Been with the van and the dog on the tunnel and the Calais ferry this year June and July/Aug, not seen or had any issues with migrants, just the Dover roads.

It was our first time abroad in a van and we took the dog, so like you a bit nervous and apprehensive, we went tunnel in June must say it was very easy, second time was a last minute thing so we went ferry (tunnel was really stupid money) and apart from a hold up on the way out again very easy. We used a mix of aires and sites, just whatever was convenient and looked ok on the day, not sure how that would work out of season as most sites will be closed??

I do not know where to go to get no rain and a bit of warmth in Dec, I would check the weather maps at the time, but 10 days is fine to get to S France and into Spain, but it wont be a leisurely tour down and back and would use toll roads, last time over July we took 7 days off and got to Cannes where we stopped for 3 days, but it was a bit rushed!

Still not sure why but we now love it so hoping to go again end of September

11. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

To be fair, we did a day trip in a hire care from Lake Geneva to Monaco before the F1 Grand Prix to have a look around which there and back is the same distance as Calais to say Marseille and I would far rather do 665 miles in the Moho with everything on board than a little hire car (somehow a journey like that in a car is a means to an end but a journey like that in the Moho is part of the adventure - hope the novelty does not wear off:unsure:)

Is the water still an issue in Southern France with temps around 7 degrees?

Paul

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Forget France/Italy. Too far too cold.

Jump on Santander/Bibao ferry and head south. Quite pleasant weather. 10 days way too short though.

• Like Like x 4
  13. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I agree Spain usually has a much nicer weather forecast than France at Christmas time :)

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The timing of your trip depends on how far you wish to drive in a day. One Easter we set off from NW England around 4pm on the Thursday and stopped overnight in Dover. On Good Friday we got an early ferry and drove to Parc Futuroscope's massive car park just north of Poitiers for an overnight stop, and were parked on an aire on the Charente coast before midday Easter Saturday, just as the first French MHs were arriving for the holiday weekend. On other occasions we've driven to Biarritz on day 3 and arrived late afternoon.

If you're based in MK and don't mind putting the miles in you could easily get down to the warmer bit in 3 days with time to spare.

15. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

The advice you've got is as usual, very good and pretty consistent. How far south you go really depends upon your style of motorhoming. I know lots of 'homers who are happy to push through in one or two days to reach that warm sunshine in Spain, but that isn't my preference. Sue and I like to enjoy the journey and the places in between, even if we go direct to Santander from Plymouth so we would take two days just to get to Murcia from Santander and if driving down the Atlantic Coast of France from Roscoff have taken more that a week just to do that stretch. And of course, you BOTH have to enjoy a fast trip if that's your intention.

Good luck with the trip though. You can't beat warm sun on your skin in the depths of a long English winter!

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sorry but comments like that wind me up.
    They are there by choice....nobody is forcing them to be there.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I seriously would reconsider - 10 days is just not enough time to get anywhere warm and by the time you've got there you'll be thinking of coming back!

Perhaps instead of taking the MH what about a cheap flight/hotel deal?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yorick

Yorick Funster

It's lovely here in winter :)

19. busby

busby Funster

Must be really nice where they come from to pay thousands of euros to escape and endure the life on the road and in the Jungle..i quite envy them,,BUSBY:(:(

• Like Like x 1
  20. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Even if the weather is OK going south, you could get snow on the way back.
    And it's nor cheap taking the mh ,
    If you was sun, as previously said, take a plane to the canaries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1