First trip to continent & with a dog, tips and advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi,

It is only our second year with Moho and furthest we went last year was Ireland. Fancy heading to Northern coast of Spain so any advice regarding France and Spain with a dog would be appreciated.

We are planning to use the tunnel so we can stay with her and we will ask her to leave her hat behind, perhaps a Beret would be more appropriate.

Any tips and advice appreciated.

Paul & Jane

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
(y)Important to ensure tick and sand fly treatment and look out for Processionary pine & Oak caterpillars they are in France as well as Spain and Portugal as they can have deadly effects on dogs, other than that enjoy it,we are just on our way home after a four month trip.(y)(y)(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Are we assuming that you are aware of the Pet Passport?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Paul an Jane MK I hope you don't mind me piggybacking your post, but I'm also close to taking my dog abroad for the first time, so will be watching and learning from the responses.

I've been abroad several times, but never with my dog.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
It's great fun with your dog - we take Ida Basset hound with us everywhere, and she has been all over Europe as well as the UK. In fact, it's better in Europe with fewer 'No Dogs' signs on beaches.
Best advice - don't leave it too close to get your vets visit in. We usually aim to get her seen to 3 days before travelling back across the channel just in case she reacts to the worming treatment.
Other than that, no real problems.

Nice to see another MK citizen...
:smiley:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
First this that the dog has to be chipped, the dog needs to get a passport or rather the owner needs to take to the vet who is authorised to issue the passport.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
First this that the dog has to be chipped, the dog needs to get a passport or rather the owner needs to take to the vet who is authorised to issue the passport.
My Lab is ID chipped, does this suffice, or does he need a 'pet passport' chip as well.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My Lab is ID chipped, does this suffice, or does he need a 'pet passport' chip as well.
No as long as he's chipped get your vet to do the rabies jabs and passport.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
No the ID chip is the one. It's recorded in the Pets Passport along with the animals vaccinations and treatments. If you look on the gov.uk website there is useful information about travelling with pets. Also the Tunnel website has a section about travelling with pets.

Janp

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi we have taken Ollie the westie and LuLu the Lhasa apso over to France for the last 3 years , great advice from diggly dog not to leave it too late for the trip to the vets to get your pet back into the UK there is a set window of time and we have found the vets really helpful.We don't use the vets in Calais , but tend to find one up the coast not far from the tunnel . Some have open afternoon surgeries and are used to people travelling back to Uk so its seamless. Have fun and enjoy I know our doggies love the travelling .

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
In essence, you need the following:
Dog has to be chipped; vet to issue a pet passport; vet to check all documentation is upto date including rabies vaccinations etc., prior to departure.
Travel to France and enjoy the holiday, taking into account all the previous advise re bugs etc.
On return from holiday i would suggest a minimum of 3 days prior to leaving France you visit a vet, certainly not in Calais, far too expensive and have your dog checked, wormed and Pet Passport stamped.
On entry to Eurotunnel, keep a look out for the 'Pet' signs, follow them to the Pet Building where they will process your dog. Its totally harmless, very efficient and they will stamp your passport and let you go to the train.
Simples....enjoy (y)

Milk Tray Man

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2016
Gillingham, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Frankia I680BD
Exp
Since 2014
All mostly covered and would only add our own experience is we tend to stop at Honfluer on way back as its a lovely spot plus a good vet near the main Aire in the town to sort out the final treatment. Then a lazy drive up the cost to catch the train back.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
The comment I've made on the Google Map for the Vet in Honfleur on Rue de Vases near the Aire is -
'Overpriced - avoid if possible - the other Vet in Honfleur is cheaper and easier to park'

If the Vet Santoria Cabinet Vétérinaire de l'Estuaire now charges less than €52 (inc tablet) please let me know.

The other Vet on Route Emile Renouf charged €32 (inc tablet) in 2015

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Another vote for getting your dog checked well away from Calais.

On the return journey you can travel not less than 24 hours after the check and deworming but not more than five days after. This gives a good window of opportunity.

If you have not read other threads on this theme I will repeat my example. My local Vet in Burgundy charges me 11 euros for the examination, working tablet and stamp in the Passport. In Calais I have paid over 50 euros for exactly the same thing.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The French don't clear up after their dogs like we do so if you get anywhere near a beach that is dog friendly it can be an absolute disgrace. The Local Mayor's Office is trying to educate them but it is an uphill battle. They provide bins and free bags but the bin is usually surrounded by small and large piles.

We took ours on the beach at St. Marlo .. No signs anywhere that we could see. The Life Guard Station was on the other side of the horse shoe shaped beach some 500m away. We were the only people on the beach and he walked over to tell us we were not allowed on the beach with the dog. The signs etc were on his hut. If the Local Police catch you it's an on the spot fine.

514440958.jpg

Signs vary from place to place. Who would have thought this is a no dog beach. Some signs have a red band through them. Local Tourist Information will tell you if they are allowed or not. Some beaches let them on in the evening. Again check first don't just assume it's ok because other dogs are on the beach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi, should have have said our vet advised us we needed a passport and worming for Southern Ireland but having been I am not convinced but we have it anyway.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
It's great fun with your dog - we take Ida Basset hound with us everywhere, and she has been all over Europe as well as the UK. In fact, it's better in Europe with fewer 'No Dogs' signs on beaches.
Best advice - don't leave it too close to get your vets visit in. We usually aim to get her seen to 3 days before travelling back across the channel just in case she reacts to the worming treatment.
Other than that, no real problems.

Nice to see another MK citizen...
:smiley:
And a big hello to fellow MK inhabitant

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, should have have said our vet advised us we needed a passport and worming for Southern Ireland but having been I am not convinced but we have it anyway.
You need a passport but not worming. It's unlikely that anyone will ask to see the passport.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just to add to the confusion our vet told me this week dogs going to Spain need an annual rabies vaccination. I've done a bit of research including speaking to Brittany Ferries who will be taking us to Santander and it doesn't seem to be true.
The confusion seems to be based on the fact dogs living in Spain need an annual vaccination but the only requirement for visiting dogs is the vaccination should be "in date".

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
we have been lucky in the past, where we have taken our own tablet with us and got the vet in france to administrate and stamp the pet passport , some has charged and some not, best to stay away from vets near ports,

Ian

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
All of the above advice is good. The only thing I would add is that when we get off the eurotunnel we'll drive about 200 miles to our first stop. We will then walk into town and book our dog into the vets for our return trip. After the vets appointment we will then have one more night just outside Calais before getting the eurotunnel the following day. This ensures we are in the time scales.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We are taking ours away for the first time soon. I would say be aware of local holidays which might affect opening times.

We are returning the week after easter, and when we checked the calendar realised there is only one day on which we can get our dog treated. Needles to say we have located a convenient vet and will book well in advance.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back