First trip overseas

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by roky1983, Jul 26, 2011.

1. roky1983

roky1983 Read Only Funster

Wanting to go away for 3 weeks from Monday , thoughts are Dover - Calais stop over near there , then either follow the coast down to Brittany with a few stop overs for a couple of days then the boat from Brittany home spending atleast the 3 weeks in France, or from Calais down to Disney with a few stopovers finishing in Brittany then home . I have 2 kids 5 and 2 would like parks with plenty to do , we love cycling and the beach, but I'm a total novice motorhoming so help and recommendations needed
    Thnx all

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

first time driving in france....or first time abroad in a motorhome ?

first time driving, i would suggest making a card with the words KEEP RIGHT.....and place it on the steering wheel when parked.

so easy to leave a site after a day or two and forget to drive on the right, especially on quiet back roads.

what am i talking about :Doh:all french roads are quiet compered to ours. :Laughing:

3. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

This might sound a silly answer, but I'd get a good book of campsites and and also the via Michelin guide for the area you want to go to, see what sights or attractions interest you and then plan your trip. I'm sure the children would love Disney, but I've never been there and can't comment. The coast along to Britanny is beautiful with miles and miles of sandy beaches and there will be lots of places to stay. :BigGrin:

Ivy

4. tonyg

tonyg

The Peripherique de Paris, leaves the M25 standing.

5. roky1983

Have driven in France so I'm ok with tht , Ne site recommendations or books to get ? ? The kids are sooooo exited

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't really do parks but did go to Le Grand Parc (Loire region) which was excellent and a bit different, and I am told Asterix park is better than Disney.

7. roky1983

Thnx for that , il check tht out, should I get all the aires book and acsi card, your all so helpful , I do really appreciate it

8. mollyold

mollyold Read Only Funster

Not sure how far south you want to go but futuroscope in Poitou is a excellent couple of days out and there is also secure Aires for the motorhome on-site.

The evening finale is something else, a man-made lake with hundreds of fountains that play to music and then the show, using lazers to project annimations against the spray of the fountains, hard to explain but check out their website.

Also to let you knw that both Disney land and Astrix allow motorhomes to park up for a few nights while visiting

Have a great time and think KERB

9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Bearing in mind where you live, and your intention to visit Brittany, why not travel from Portsmouth to either Caen or Cherbourg. That way you'd save a whole load of driving and fuel by going to Calais, and then shlepping all the way west in France. If you look on a map, I think you might agree.

10. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi.

The ACSI card is really only useful out of peak season and you will be travelling through France during peak season. All the Aires book is worth having with you at all times, although this time of year you will find the most popular aires fill up very early.

Even though you have chosen to holiday in France during their buisiest season you will still find a large variety of sites with spaces. A good site book to carry is the Michelin site guide readily available in French hypermarkets.

Have fun and enjoy our holiday.:Cool:

Cheers Mike.

11. roky1983

As usual some very good advice , I agree travelling to Dover would be silly, silly question maybe ! But is there enough to do in the Brittany area and are there plenty of sites / beaches and aires,

12. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I've never been to Britanny, well not in a MH, but everybody seems to love it and the lovely beaches. I'll get there one day I'm sure but if you look on the internet, I'm sure you'll find good places there for children. :BigGrin:

Ivy

13. roky1983

Thnx once again , think I will just travel , book a couple of sites and just go with the flOw for the rest of the trip

14. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Yes

Loads

15. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

16. tonyg

tonyg

The books I'ver got are Alan Rogers(for parks) the Aires, and the ASCI dvd

17. TDH

TDH Funster

I agree with this. The Cherbourg peninsular (Cotentin) is really nice - great beaches, nice towns (Coutances, Agon-Coutainville, Granville, Villedieu les Poiles) and villages (I lived in Hauteville sur Mer), and good Calvados! Plenty of opportunities for wild camping if that floats your boat.

Then you can go round the corner into Brittany via Mont St Michel, and then what all the others have said.

I've got Alan Rogers, and a list of aires as well as 'All The Aires' (because they're not all in the book).

And there's a few hints and tips about useful phrases on the current thread on aires etiquette.

There's also a fair bit about our experiences in France with The Rosabella in the blog (link below). Have a look at the 2009 archive.

Bon voyage! :thumb: