First trip France

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by sean, Feb 14, 2016.

1. sean

sean Funster

hi all looking at going to France for the first time in August from Plymouth to Rocsof doing a little loop and coming back is there any advice on ferry ect or some good campsite any help would be great many thanks Sean

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

France will be busy in August as I am sure you know! :)

If it's a day sailing we always get a cabin on that route, they only cost about £25 and give you somewhere to change and shower etc.

The coastal aires will be very busy I fear but inland you should find space. Have a search on here for CamperContact and download it. Other online resources are available but this is the easiest to use in my experience.

I did a little trip around Brittany last September which might give you some ideas and you will find accounts of other trips in the France section if you rummage around. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/two-go-to-france.115155/

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Sean,
    We used an campsite at Brignonan Plages right on the beach , Camping de la cote des legendes a bit basic hedged pitches we were there in sept quite reasonably priced.
    A couple of aires worth a visit is Bourg Blanc nice lakeside aire free, toilets no electric.
    Lampaul Plouarzel aire 6 euro's a night water/ electric extra , toilets / laundry / showers , parking on sand / grass sort of terraced 150 yrds from beach .
    If you need gps etc or any other help , just ask.
    Terry

4. sean

sean Funster

Thanks everyone

5. bluesurf989

bluesurf989 Funster

Hi Sean. We travel to france most years and its amazing. Down load the campercontact app to your phone for all the aires and sites.

6. bluesurf989

bluesurf989 Funster

Hi Sean. We travel to france most years and its amazing. Down load the campercontact app to your phone for all the aires and sites.

7. bluesurf989

bluesurf989 Funster

8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Most of the bigger Aires will have spaces if you get there around midday - 2 pm. Smaller ones will be full, especially on the coast. There are hundreds of Aires on the coast though, so allow a couple of standbys.

9. sean

sean Funster

Thanks everyone

10. bonniechris

bonniechris Funster

Hi sean we are often in france and as others have said download campercontact for list of aires. Around brittany there are many many aires some free some not. Generaly coastal ones cost a small amount. You might like to consider all the aires by vicarious books this is also very useful particularly jf you have no internet. We often travel plymouth -roscoff no problems and aires quite close to the port. if you would like a discount on your ticket pm us for brittany member code details should save you about 10%. Have a great time we are normally there end july beggining august ourselves, it is busyier but nothing like august in england..bon chance!

11. sean

sean Funster

Thank you

12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If you want to be in any of the top resorts on coast you will need to book ASAP!

13. Buzzy-Beans

Buzzy-Beans Read Only Funster

If it isn't essential to go in August, why go to France in August as it can be somewhat MANIC !!

Believe me, I know, I lived there for 10 years, I built and owned 2 caravan sites and August was the month I hated as it was totally bonkers.

In some beautiful towns throughout the Dordogne where I lived, it was almost impossible to move and as for the coastal regions, they were total no go areas if you wanted to be able to move around.

Believe me, if you like freedom of choice and freedom of movement I would very strongly suggest you go to this beautiful country in any month other than August.

14. sean

sean Funster

It's the kids half term this is why I have to goin August thanks for the information tho

15. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We have booked a month in France in September, our first French trip as well, havn't a clue where we are going, we will just wander and see where we end up.

16. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

anything like me and it will be "lost in france":LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenman

Fenman Funster

That's the way to go and you'll find some gems.:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

We are over there , France that is, 3 weeks in each June & Sept. Like you not sure where just gonna wander from aire to aire ( most of them will be by water --lake / river / sea & canal) taking our cocker with us for the first time, been 8 times before.

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Not sure what all the fuss is about re France in August - when I was teaching most of our trips to the coast had to be late July to August and we managed just fine. Last year we went in August, toured through the Dordogne/Vezere, across to the W Coast (Ile de Re), then up to Disneyland via Fontainebleu and on to Lille for the Braderie weekend (early Sept). No bother at all - no traffic jams, no hold ups for crowds. We stayed on aires most of the time, which are a lot less busy than campsites. Of course Spring and October are less busy but if you choose your destinations carefully in the school holidays and avoid obvious honeypots you can still enjoy it.