Bolly1965

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Bury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well we have had our first trip in our first motorhome - Valerie, the Herald Valencia, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts and findings... Hope someone can give me a bit of advice on one or two points.

As a luxury car driver I expected the Motorhome to drive like a dog and was pleasantly surprised - much nippier the i expected so our trip from Manchester to Whitby took only 2 and a half hours. I chose Whitby as it used to be one of my favourite haunts in my youth, and the campsite we chose was just a mile from the harbour by a stunning walk either along the beach or the promenade.

Before setting off we gave Valerie a good clean inside and out and filled the fresh water tank and emptied out the waste water tank - or so i thought. Checking the water gauge i founf it was only half full - then i noticd the adjuster and adjusted it to full. The adjuster seems a little 'flaky' and was easily knocked so i really have no idea of the true water level. Shortly after settling down I noticed a red light indicating that the waste was full, even though I had emptied it at home. Any idea what the waste capacity is and why it doesn't empty properly?

I think it would be handy to get an aquaroll for additional fresh water, especially when on show fields so we don't ave to uproot the motorhome. is there anything available that would pump the water from the aquaroll into the onboard tank?

On site i looked around to see which direction the aerials were pointing, but they were all at different angles. Managed to get a reasonable analogue signal but no freeview at all (Yorkshire has not switched over yet) so next on the list is a suitcase satellite system. B&Q seem to have the cheapest available.

The compartment for the microwave is just too short to hold out compact microwave so will need to figue out how to make it fit.

One of the blinds has a broken catch, so will need to have a look at that too.

I knew we had carver blown air heating but didn't realise it had an electric element too which is rated at 2kw - isn't that too high for a hook up?

Overall really enjoyed out mini break and can't wait to get going again!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What a lot of questions.

1. The waste tank is probably not full at all just the electrodes of the level warning indicator are bridged by some muck. The inside of the waste tank is usually totally unaccesible but might be worth sticking a hose up the outlet to see if you can wash it off.

2. Pumping from an aquaroll just needs a 12v submersible pump available from any caravan accessory shop and a bit of drinking water hose from the same place. You can either fit an external 12v point for it or simply put a longer switched lead on it and plug in inside.

3. Aldi or Lidl often have cheap suitcase satellite kits.

4. Don't attempt to modify your microwave as they can be very dangerous if there is leakage of the microwave energy. You may be able to modify the locker, or as many do on here, just leave it at home as its not very useful to most.

5. Blind catches - worth asking Johns Cross, who will give a discount for online ordering.

6. 2kw is just over 8amps which is fine from most UK site EHUs which are 16amp, however some on the continent are much lower and it will trip them.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. The waste tank I assume you mean grey waste sounds like you have an accumulation of grot that needs to be cleaned out washing powder seems to do the job ok. Put some down the sink every so often give the van a good run to agitate it the drain and repeat a few times until it flows clear. The water tank level regretfully fails on a large number of vans, maybe it is a matter of hard water furring up the mechanism who knows, any way it is more important to know when the tank is empty rather than full, so adjust for empty. A 2kw fire will draw around 8-9amps so most UK hookups should cope with that ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi. re an aquaroll. We just have a plastic 10-15 litre contained which we fill and carry over to van and pour in the hole when we get low. A couple of trips would last a day.

Don't forget that the air blower doesn't work when the heater is on electric. ::bigsmile:

::bigsmile:Ivy

OP
OP
B

Bolly1965

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Bury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks guys, I'll try both methods to clean the waste water tank.

I was thinking of modifying the shelf - I wouldn't attempt to modify the microwave!

B&Q seem to have the cheapest satellite systems at the moment

An aquaroll and submersible pump it is then!

The heater element will only work when the blower is on in our van

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions - thanks again!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks guys, I'll try both methods to clean the waste water tank.

I was thinking of modifying the shelf - I wouldn't attempt to modify the microwave!

B&Q seem to have the cheapest satellite systems at the moment

An aquaroll and submersible pump it is then!

The heater element will only work when the blower is on in our van

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions - thanks again!

maybe so, but i think they are a 230v receiver....you really need 12v.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bolly,If you buy the sat system try it as soon as you get home :thumb: they are not the easiest thing to do :ROFLMAO:That way if like me you can take it back :ROFLMAO: Don't bother with a aqua roll and pump -just use your tanks and a gallon bottle of water for the odd time you run out.The full /empty gauges never work but you soon get used to the different sound the pump makes when running low on water giving you plenty of warning :thumb:Bin the micro :Eeek::thumb:
Try things out before you needlessly spend money on what if's :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:OR you will end up with a garage full of stuff you thought you needed but did not need :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back