First trip abroad: Budapest (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Hi Fellow Travellers,
About to take ownership of a Hobby Vantana and planning a trip to Budapest via Belgium, Germany, and Austria. Has anyone undertaken this journey and, if so, can you recommend any good stop overs.
Thanks in anticipation.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
That seems very adventurous for a first trip abroad. If possible why not do a smaller trip to, say, France beforehand? You'd be surprised at just how vast it is.

Wyn

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Camper contact for all the information you need on stops.. http://www.campercontact.com/en/
download the POIs for your sat nav... free.

The Campercontact phone app. is excellent.. £4.50 per year.. you can download the maps, so it will work off-line

For Germany, and also Europe.. buy the Bordatlas .. it lists all the Stelplaz .. not essential but useful ..

Route planning, use Via Michelin .. or if you prefer Google maps..

I would also buy the Michelin Europe Map.. good for route planning, can't beat paper when you have no internet.

if you are over 3.5t avoid Austria as you will need a Go-Box and it is expensive to use the Autoroutes..

some posts here ..

good luck ,, post photos of your trip..

Edit .. just noticed you have a Hobby PVC, so Go-Box not required for Austria .. but do check what it will cost for Autoroutes under 3.5t

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Fellow Travellers,
About to take ownership of a Hobby Vantana and planning a trip to Budapest via Belgium, Germany, and Austria. Has anyone undertaken this journey and, if so, can you recommend any good stop overs.
Thanks in anticipation.
How long are you planning to take to do this journey? Please keep us posted with you trip details, we love other people's travels as much as our own.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
That seems very adventurous for a first trip abroad. If possible why not do a smaller trip to, say, France beforehand? You'd be surprised at just how vast it is.

Wyn

Ach away with you. My first was Kitzbuhel in Austria on the motorbike. The OP must only be going 250 miles more east.

Go for it OP. Google says a tad over 13 hours from Zebbrugge. Unless you have two drivers i would split that in three days if you have the time. Good luck and enjoy. :D

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Ach away with you. My first was Kitzbuhel in Austria on the motorbike.

Same here. My first trip was Kitzbuehl in a converted ambulance in the days before the euro. With two young 'uns.

Austria is perfectly possible without using the motorways. The main roads are fine if you're not in a mad hurry. You don't need to pay anything or get a Go-box unless you use the motorways. And it's picture-postcard scenery.

Switzerland is different. I'd buy a vignette at the border, quick and easy, fit and forget.

Going in that direction you can fill up with cheap fuel in Luxemburg.

Upvote 0

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Just got back from hungary 6 days ago.you will need vignettes for austria and hungary .in hungary some of the non motorwayroutes require the vignette and they do check with vans and cameras .smallest amount is 10 days .when in Budapest try staying at Camping Haller 4 days for price of 3 free washing machine. Use hop on off tour unlimited access to 6 different tours for 48 hrs .OAP'set free travel in city. For sites I used camper contact (download maps before you go) and ASCI dvd as it lists sites that are not only discounted by ASCI but also the ones they just inspect. Lake balaton is a good visit north shore hilly south shore flat.very shallow so warms up fairly quick.lake is surrounded by railway track so you will get a train every hour not too bad. They are not on euros so you will need forint but loads of lidls Aldie and Tesco. Sites vary in price from 8 to 19 euros a night.
If you have an idea where you want to go ask and i'll see if i've got some info

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wonder what happened to him, looks as if he paid his dues then only made the one post(n)

Edit sorry ignore that , now see he joined in April but only posted yesterday:doh:

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
in the days before the euro.

Yip us also. Little bags with out French, German Austrian and Italian money. I remember stopping for fuel high up some pass in Italy and the old fashioned pump where the digits rotated round on a wheel. It had to many zeros at the end i could not suss out how much i was putting in the bike :) Another was a cash machine in Belgium. I got a mental blank and could not work out how much i wanted out to just clicked the largest amount. thank at teh time was £250 but i was leaving the next morning for Holland so lost out using the cash machine charge and changing it to Guilders. :(

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
And driving back through Belgium for the ferry, six different currencies in my pocket but couldn't buy a bag of chips.

Upvote 0

Duztee

Free Member
Jun 28, 2016
Nagykoros, Hungary
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Austrian vignette is available from most fuel stations as you approach the border, cost two days ago for the shortest time was 8 euros, takes 30 seconds to buy, no vehicle details needed.
Hungary, buy on line or at the border, this is electronic (no sticker) so vehicle details required, MH is class D2. one week is 5950 fts, one month 9560fts.

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

Duztee

Free Member
Jun 28, 2016
Nagykoros, Hungary
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Plus in Hungary and Austria you must have sufficient reflective jackets on board for every person, which must be worn on the highway outside of the vehicle.
Note also that headlights must be used outside of urban areas in Hungary, but oddly perhaps not when driving in towns where the majority of pedestrians are.
Driving standards are not high in Hungary, and as with most countries bikes totally ignore all laws!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adventure before dementia
Apr 30, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Back from our first ever motorhome holiday. Didn't quite work to plan but what a great holiday. The original plan wS based around an end of April delivery date for motorhome. We booked a mid July ferry with a view to a leisurely drive through Germany and Austria, arriving in Budapest for 11th of August, when my son and girlfriend would take over and drive on to Croatia whilst we return to UK, flying back to Budapest at end of August. We had everything booked not knowing that delivery of the motorhome would be three months late and then DVLA refused registration due to incorrect fee from dealership. Four changes to ferry booking led to a three day drive from Dunkirk to Balaton and a missed flight back after handing over van to son. After a ten day stay with friends at Balaton we again took over the van and started the second phase, first driving to Zadar for three days, followed by stays at Split, Trogir and two National Parks, before arriving at Lake Bled in Slovinia.
In addition to using camp sites we had five nights of wild camping, had an amazing time throughout-and are now asking ourselves, why did we come back mid September? Altogether we put 3200 miles on the clock, with a further 1400 by my son's ten days in Croatia, Slovina and Bosnia.
At present planning a more detailed tour of Northern Croatia and Northern Italy for next year.
Many Thanks to all of the motorhomefunsters who provided advice and info before we left.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back