Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
england NE
Funster No
MH
vivaro LWB
Exp
Hi all,
So its the 27th, and I promised myself I would start the van conversion after christmas. so today I have joined a few forums and surfed for some ideas all advice would be welcomed.
Before christmas I picked up a lwb Vivaro with the intention of making a basic conversion, I go away the first weekend in each month, but I also intend travelling with te wife and 3 small kids (5 3 & 2) for summer beaches and winter sking.
So far its got to be basic, we need it just for overnights, rolling on and off the boat and sleeps on the way to the Alps. no fridge or cupboards just sleeping and storage.

Whats the first idea that pops into your head?
John

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Good morning and welcome to Fun.

If you really want basic......chuck a matress & barby in the back and you are done::bigsmile:
We did just that years ago in a Nissan van I used for our business and had some great times:thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:The first idea from me is to say Hi and Welcome. Sure you will find many interesting facts and ideas from the others who have been in your situation before. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome :welcomefunster::welcomefunster: John, I have no experience with self builds but plenty on here who do, but if I were doing one I think the first thing I would do was to insulate it:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A bare minimum for me would be insulate, ply line and then carpet. You can get some stuff called trunk liner which goes on really neatly and looks very professional. It pushes and stretches into all shapes and corners etc.

I buy from these guys. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AS-Trim

After that it depends on what you want from the van....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun.[HI] Ist job is planning [/HI] after all no point in getting all the lining done only to realise you have to get it all out to weld the floor, run wires and pipes etc. 2nd job is obviously insulation, night time condensation can leave you soaking come morning in a panel van.
someplace to sleep, sit, cook, sh--, well you get the picture.
Lots of self builders and knowledge on here. Just ask away.
Do check out the chatroom for instant advice.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Firstly welcome

Firstly welcome came to mind, then I thought.. boy he has some work to do. Could have purchased an American day van with the electric fold up bed in the back.. palace to drive and nice inside if you do not want a fridge etc.,

When converting a van, and that is what a lot of motorhomes are .. van based, you need to remember that it needs to look somewhat like a purpose made motorhome and not a converted van with a shed on the back... yes there is one about, a lot of us have seen it at the shows we go to... how the hell it ever gets let in amazes me. But camp sites would say no.. so I suggest you give it some thought. While we have no issues with who parks up beside us, we do prefer not to look at a scrape yard (not suggesting for one moment that is what your new pride and joy will be). But you do need to consider the overall finish of the camper (lets call it a camper)..

Roger ..AKA Wildman hits the nail on the head.. make sure you run those wires in proper trunking and keep a record of all the colour wires and where they go (there may be a future owner that may need to know).. Consider insulation.. vans get cold at night. Are you going to fit heating in? if so proper ventilation.. plus safe gas pipe runs. will you fit the inside out so you have a toilet? and will the rest of the camper be built to stop the interior items moving about while you take the corners? Considered an awning? if you have a slide door.. no fun when the rain is coming down and you cannot open the door due to the water coming in?

Children grow.. so is there room for all of you to eat in side? are you putting in a table?

Might be worth a visit to a motorhome dealer and see what is on sale and get some ideas that will make your dream even better.

But you can always ask on here for advise.. plenty of people know a lot about making there own camper van.

Good luck

Bob:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you intend re-registering as a camper/motorhome then read this article.

these are DVLA requirements....not what someone thought up.

CLICK HERE

registering as a camper/motorhome has a few advantages as well.

same MOT as a car (class IV instead of class VII), different speed limits, cheaper insurance etc

of course, you may just want to leave it as it is :Doh:

OP
OP
N

newbievan

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
england NE
Funster No
MH
vivaro LWB
Exp
Thanks all

Many thanks all for the responses, I need to read back through them again. I am impressed by the advice, as I haven't even asked a specific question yet.
Yes I got to wire it, and insulate it, ply line and carpet it but I am hoping not too much more.
As I have a little more time now, I can give a bit more backgrond. The van is mostly for me and the dog/soon to be dogs. I will drive it everyday, its a 20 miles to work and back. one weekend a month I sleep in it with the dog ( until now it was an Espace (it did the job)).
The big worry is keeping it dry and clean, most months of the year I'm soaked to the skiin. The dog is a SAR dog, so the nights we get called out are often nasty and we are too bushed to drive back home.
So thats the big concern. It needs to be well vented, do I need to fit a wired vent that will extract or can I get away with passive vents? I need to know before I start any cutting.
What about a motorhome popup roof vent?

thanks all

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi all,
So its the 27th, and I promised myself I would start the van conversion after christmas. so today I have joined a few forums and surfed for some ideas all advice would be welcomed.
Before christmas I picked up a lwb Vivaro with the intention of making a basic conversion, I go away the first weekend in each month, but I also intend travelling with te wife and 3 small kids (5 3 & 2) for summer beaches and winter sking.
So far its got to be basic, we need it just for overnights, rolling on and off the boat and sleeps on the way to the Alps. no fridge or cupboards just sleeping and storage.

Whats the first idea that pops into your head?
John
do not waste your time with a self build
buy an a class or a coach built and do it up
you will never get a good finish in a self build and not every one will buy one as it is not easy to get a habitation and electric certificate for the work done

best advice i can give you is buy an American RV do it up and win both ways
the best motorhome on the road and a low price for doing so:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back