Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
First time away in my motorhome this Easter, looking forward to it but with mixed feelings. My wife and I had a caravan for many years and the plan was to purchase a new caravan after I had taken early retirement at the end of 2016. Sadly, after a very short illness my wife passed away at the end of January, hence the reason for buying a motorhome instead of a caravan. So as I said earlier, mixed feelings, I am looking forward to trying out the motorhome but not looking forward to my wife not being there with me.

Tom

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
So sorry that you lost your wife, heartbreaking. I'm sure she would want you to realise the dreams you both had, and will be with you in spirit. Use it as a time to reflect on all the good memories you have of her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Tom,so sorry for your loss,understand your mixed feelings but sure your late wife would want you to enjoy yourself and would understand.
May it be the first of many trips for you.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Tom

So sorry about the situation you find yourself in but time and the friends you will make on this forum will help you through.

The first few trips out in the motorhome alone can be lonely at the best of times so don't give up too soon.

I don't know what area you live in but try to come to some of the meets near to you. We will all make you welcome.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Your wife would be so pleased to know that you are getting on with life and not abandoning your shared plans altogether. It's a good legacy and she would be proud of you as are we all who have read your story.
I hope you are going to see some family or friends and not be on your own all the time.
Have a great trip.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I feel for you , time can be a great healer, let's hope it works for you, you are in a great community for a start. How about attending the Norfolk Motorhome show at the showground in July.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Tom, I know exactly how you feel although I am a little further along the road than you as my wife died 9 years ago.
To be completely honest I still find it difficult to do most things alone but it just HAS to be done.
After forcing myself to go to the Eden Camp rally last weekend I find that I have been talked into also attending Chester this coming weekend.
I just know I will find it difficult but the alternative is to be home alone.
Strange you will undoubtedly find it but try to enjoy your second life as best as you can, your wife will be there with you in spirit if not in presence. Tare care and feel free to PM me anytime you choose.
Norman.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for all your replies and words of encouragement, it really has been a big help. Later on, once I have got myself together, I would like to attend some rallies, put some faces to the names and possibly make some new friends.

Kind regards
Tom

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Norfolk Nomad Some wise words been written so far Tom and I found that participating on this forum has helped me with the life changes forced upon me.
Today was my last day in employment after retiring at 55 and the plan was also for my wife to follow suit in a few short years, but she decided she'd prefer to be single and we recently split up. I know that doesn't compare to a loved one dying, but it has still had its moments and my future plans have had to be adapted accordingly.
A new house last year, a new van this week (possibly next week) and all of our planned trips are now going to be solo trips, but as much as I feel the loss and hurt, I'm also excited about what lies ahead.

Best of luck with your plans,

Ken.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Norfolk Nomad - Tom, I too am a solo traveller, but not due to bereavement. All I can say is that I have found this forum and especially the rallies/meets to be a great way of meeting people. I have now made a number of friends via Motorhome Fun. I appreciate it will be hard at first but I'm sure you will enjoy the rallies etc and hopefully give you a new lease of life. Look forward to meeting you soon in a field somewhere.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Tom so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely wife, adjusting to the new life will take time but you have a MH and can travel which will be wonderful.
Join the rallies if possible loads of friendly people who will help with the change in your life journey.
Keep in contact on here ,there is always someone to lend and ear give a virtual hug and help you through .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tom ... why not think of going to Jaws bash at Thetford? I don't know if I can make it yet but I know my friends will look after you if you go... or leave you alone if you need YOU time.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Tom ... why not think of going to Jaws bash at Thetford? I don't know if I can make it yet but I know my friends will look after you if you go... or leave you alone if you need YOU time.
Was thinking about Thetford, but it was my wife's birthday on the 29th so probably need to be with family that weekend.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Great start, on the way there I could smell burning.. when I got to the site I noticed smoke coming from under the passenger seat. All seems to be working okay, just a burnt smell coming ftom the electrobloc. I have warranty so will see what they say Tuesday.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi suns
Great start, on the way there I could smell burning.. when I got to the site I noticed smoke coming from under the passenger seat. All seems to be working okay, just a burnt smell coming ftom the electrobloc. I have warranty so will see what they say Tuesday.
Hi sunshine why not start a thread on here in the meantime under motorhome matters forum .. this will give you opinions and ideas so that when you go on Tuesday you can ask informed questions in case they get it wrong.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back