first time wild camping (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
We are going to do our first go at wild camping when we leave Fort William. Our next destination is Ullapool but want to try wilding a couple of times on the way to see what it's like. Question where do you get fresh water from? I thought of filling up where I am but with full tank of fuel and towing a car on "A" frame I would be over weight. Must be a logical answer but I'm not logical.

Last edited:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
cemetries and church yards have taps, leave a couple of quid in the collection or find a campsite and ask how much to fill up and dump liquids.

But I would ask the question if a full water tank puts you over weight then are you not cutting things a bit fine

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
At the risk of sounding as if I am preaching (and expecting contradiction from other Funsters) I would suggest that to tow a car and be close to your weight limit is perhaps not entering into the spirit of 'wilding'. I think you need to be prepared for: limited parking space; the need to manoeuvre easily to get in and out of spots; and the ability to carry plenty of fresh water (and ultimately waste).
We have done it quite a bit in the West Highlands and Islands, but I always fill up with maximum water when possible (120 litres) and dump both waste water and the toilet cassette at every opportunity. In regard to fresh water, I have used garages, public loos with external taps, a marina and an artist's studio (the latter two in Tobermory). I have a SOG fitted to the Thetford so we don't use any chemicals and can dump safely in any toilet connected to a septic tank.

Food for thought hopefully, but in any event enjoy your trip - there are loads of opportunities to pitch where you are going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just find somewhere quiet, off the road a bit, roughly level, if it has a view then so much the better, thats it your done:thumb: if you only do it every other day then water is not much of a worry:winky:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
At Sheildaig theres a field at the back of the village that allows camping, theres a tap and at the bottom of the hill theres a toilet, 57°31'31.45"N-5°38'52.07"W at Gruinard Bay theres big layby, off the road, park safely in there with no problems, and see a sunset to die for and give you a taste of wilding 57°51'8.01"N-5°27'7.50"W.
Have fun, :thumb:

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Try the Outer Hebrides - maybe another holiday! We've just spent three glorious weeks there. Only used sites for two nights out of 18 on islands. All the ferry ports have water and loo emptying and there are loads of fabulous wild camping spots right on beaches with views to die for. Can't imagine anywhere better! (Good weather did help!). Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I recommend Shieldaig too. A great spot with services (well-maintained public loo down the hill) and excellent views. Also very convenient if you want to climb some 'proper' mountains - in ascending order: Beinn Damh (a good intro to Torridon mountains) Beinn Alligin (beautiful but quite testing) Liathach (awesome - we've not done that one).

We haven't stopped in the motorhome (twice it was so wet we didn't want to get bogged down) but many years ago we camped there for a few days and had a wonderful break. My son and I climbed Beinn Alligin whilst wife and daughter stayed at the tent and bought mackerel to barbecue from the local lads who had been fishing that morning.

Enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back