First Time to Northern Italy (1 Viewer)

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hi all,
I am looking for advice on touring Northern Italy. Leaving around the end of June and will be starting from Cherbourg, France. As of the title it will be our first time in Italy (I tell a lie, we were in Rome though).
A few questions: Do we need to travel through the Mont Blanc tunnel; are there aires like there are in France in Italy or is it only campsites; also can you camp wild in Italy; can you suggest a region in Northern Italy that we should tour in our motorhome (we really don't mind what region it is as long as it is North).
As you can probably deduce from above we do not have a clue about Italy but would appreciate very much any advice and thank you in advance.
I have so many questions in my head but it would take me all night to get them down here.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You don't have to go through Mont Blanc which is mighty pricey, but worth it to visit Chamonix. A must see is the Aiguile du Midi from Chamonix. Grand campsite in Chamonix, almost town centre opposite hospital.

You'll get a serious taste of Italy if you head for Lake Garda. Loads of towns and campsites. Butterfly in Pesciera del Garda being one of the best. Masses to see. You can get a cheap train to Milan, Venice and Verona.

If you avoid Mt Blanc then you can go via Switzerland or Austria. Stop in Luzern, brilliant !

Whichever way you do it it will be good, I promise.

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You'll get a serious taste of Italy if you head for Lake Garda. Loads of towns and campsites. Butterfly in Pesciera del Garda being one of the best. Masses to see. You can get a cheap train to Milan, Venice and Verona.

If you avoid Mt Blanc then you can go via Switzerland or Austria. Stop in Luzern, brilliant !

Whichever way you do it it will be good, I promise.

i have to agree via Switzerland is a great trip and Lake Garda is a special place ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have tried a few routes but one of the best I have used is the D902/SS21 pass from Embrun to Cuneo there are a few photos at:- Link Removed

I used ACSI campsites in Italy.

Mike

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
First Time in Northern Italy

Thanks Hilldweller, Carl65 and Gozomike, Activecampers for the speedy replies. This is really last-minute stuff with me. I suppose France was/is my COMFORT ZONE as regards motorhoming as I usually only travel there and have got so used to it now!
Do any of you have info on aires or whatever they are called in Italy?; I have heard from others about the lakes (Garda, etc.) so that should be on our itinerary; are the campsites expensive but wouldn't mind paying anyway if only for security?; are there any conditions on driving around Italy that are different from France (speed limits, wearing hi-viz jackets, etc. etc.?
Thanks again - Decmac :thumb:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The GPS points on our site cover Italy - if you want to buy a book buy "Guida Camper" - but its in Italian! If you have a laptop best to buy the camping car info database (€7) and download that - that ties in with my GPS. Loads over there - not well signed but plenty. Consider ACSI too.

Driving is the same - don't worry - but if there is a gap them someone will take it. So YOU need to drive smoother and more defensively - and expect them to pull out all the time - then you won't be dissapointed!

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
First Time in Northern Italy

The GPS points on our site cover Italy - if you want to buy a book buy "Guida Camper" - but its in Italian! If you have a laptop best to buy the camping car info database (€7) and download that - that ties in with my GPS. Loads over there - not well signed but plenty. Consider ACSI too.

Driving is the same - don't worry - but if there is a gap them someone will take it. So YOU need to drive smoother and more defensively - and expect them to pull out all the time - then you won't be dissapointed!

We've all heard about the lunatics on the road in Italy. I suppose they're all racing drivers at heart! I say 'leave them off'. Anyway what are they like as a nation in general when you meet them at the sostas and campsites . . . are they friendly, good humoured, talkative, or do they keep to themselves? :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyway what are they like as a nation in general when you meet them at the sostas and campsites . . . are they friendly, good humoured, talkative, or do they keep to themselves? :thumb:

No problems here, though most you will meet on campsites won't be Italian. Short hop for Germans.

Italian is close to French a lot but pronounced properly like the Germans do, pronounce every letter. Most people you'll talk to will do well in English anyway.

Italy has a style and warmth, a passion for life. You'll not be disappointed.

inverbeg

Free Member
Nov 10, 2010
Funster No
Lido di Jesolo

If you are looking for a beach resort, try Don Bosco camping at Lido Di Jesolo. We have been here for 4 months and have a long affiliation with the resort itself as we met here 31 years back! We have just done a website page for the owner of this campsite as a favour as he is so helpful! Great beaches, shops and restaurants, no tat, friendly people, easy access for Venice sightseeing by bus or bus/boat, all on the flat and great if you have bikes or you can use the tourist board bikes f.o.c. (For some reason, very few Brits in the area),

We would thoroughly recommend the place!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back