First time to Austria and Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Just looking for any advice and for a trip that we are planning for June/July 2016

We expect to travel via Eurotunnel to Reims, Metz, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Munich to a site just over the Austrian border at Lofer, near Salzberg for a 2 week stay. With a couple of overnight stops

On our return we have about 4 extra days spare, before we need to be home, and so were thinking of coming back by a more southerly route through Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

We hoped to travel from Lofer, probably via Innsbruck and Lucerne, to a site at Brienz, set on the lake, for 2 nights. From there we would travel to a site at Morges on the side of Lake Geneva, for 3 nights. From there we would travel up to Reims(overnight) again and then make our way home

Our European driving is limited to France and Spain, and only once with a MH. What we would like is any advice on the proposed route, particularly through Switzerland, to make sure that we are on the right type of road and don't miss any scenery

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If its 3500 straightforward you just need vignettes if using motorways bought at borders .. over 3500 a bit more tricky...

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Further to the above a little information please.
We are 4500kgs and tow a smart car on a trailer I assume I will need the dreaded "GO box " but how about the trailer/ smart car is it similar to Switzerland and a viginett required for both ... ?
If so may have a rethink any info much appreciated.
D

Nettie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2014
Brean Somerset
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E769
Exp
Since 2010
When we went through Switzerland last year, we bought are viginett at the services before you get to the boarder. Firstly its cheaper & secondly, when you get to the boarder the police wave you straight through..(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We are 4500kgs and tow a smart car on a trailer I assume I will need the dreaded "GO box " but how about the trailer/ smart car is it similar to Switzerland and a viginett required for both ... ?
D

Sorry it is gobox for Austria and most places east of there. unless you are prepared not to use their motorways, it is possible but more difficult and you do have to plan it.

beware: even though you have the gobox they can still catch you out, sometimes with ridiculous issues. Many MH ers avoid Austria because its a pain( I crossed awkward b*st*rds out).

Switzerland is easier because you buy the over 3500kgs permit.

http://swift-kontiki.co.uk/switzerland/swiss-motorway-tolls/

this is easy to get, has no comebacks and costs about £2.50/day on a self dec basis regardless of how far you travel. I think this would cover the trailer as well but not sure where to check.

hth
Jon

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
D

2 vignettes for Switzerland if towing..... You can get across Austria toll free if heading to Italy

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the info
Suspected the "Go box" and 2 vigenettes would be the requirement so give it a miss.
Through Switzerland earlier this year and paid the heavy vehicle tax and 1 vigenette for the car gave the trailer vigenette a miss just felt that was a p....take too far.
Thanks again
D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back