Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I am just trying to organise myself:RollEyes:for our first trip on the continent and up to now I have either ordered or gotten an extra mirror , an acsi book,extra hook up cables
beam benders, all the aires book ,continental adaptors for hook up am I right in thinking that to get past the possibility of reverse polarity you just swap the the live and neutral over on the adaptor and mark up accordingly to avoid any mix ups :winky:GB plates,maps spare bulbs, dayglo jackets 2 ,warning triangles ,first aid kit, now just need to book ferries and breakdown cover any recommendations :thumb:what have I forgotten so far :Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
consider ADAC and CAXTON FX

Consider ADAC cover.. cheaper and more comprehensive and covers you in the UK as well as all over Europe..

Caxton FX card - preloaded euros for petrol stations in towns and at nights and weekends ..saves credit card charges...

Bob

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
am I right in thinking that to get past the possibility of reverse polarity you just swap the the live and neutral over on the adaptor and mark up accordingly to avoid any mix ups :winky::what have I forgotten so far :Doh:

First you would need to know if polarity is reversed-so a tester would be good idea,then,I have a short lead(about 12") male one end,female the other wired the 'wrong' way round.
I didn't see water connectors on your list.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Not going till maybe June/July, but from the list in OP`s post I had better start now.......

What`s the extra mirror about?

Anyone point me to the (non techie) idiots guide to electric and water hook up adaptors that may be needed please?

And what`s this about a breath test kit, what on earth is that for?

Thanks

Steve

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I am just trying to organise myself:RollEyes:for our first trip on the continent and up to now I have either ordered or gotten an extra mirror , an acsi book,extra hook up cables
beam benders, all the aires book ,continental adaptors for hook up am I right in thinking that to get past the possibility of reverse polarity you just swap the the live and neutral over on the adaptor and mark up accordingly to avoid any mix ups :winky:GB plates,maps spare bulbs, dayglo jackets 2 ,warning triangles ,first aid kit, now just need to book ferries and breakdown cover any recommendations :thumb:what have I forgotten so far :Doh:

Although somebody mentioned a sat-nav, you might also find it useful to have a French road atlas, or at least some maps of the region you are planning to visit.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not going till maybe June/July, but from the list in OP`s post I had better start now.......
Anyone point me to the (non techie) idiots guide to electric and water hook up adaptors that may be needed please?
Thanks
Steve

1.Electric-1. I carry 3 various length EHU leads-and have,at times used all 3 joined together.
2. Some sites still use French 2 pin sockets for hook up-so that's one adaptor.
3. I find it handy to have French 2pin-Brit 13 amp when on campsites to plug
lappy in-any Travel plug will do that.
2.Water- 1. I carry one reel of flat food quality hose,1 5mtr length of same and a short
piece-around 1 mtr.
2. A variety of Hozelock screw on tap connectors.
3. One rubber tap connector.
4.A couple of hose joining connectors
5. 2 Hozelock nozzles
6. Some spare Hozelock 'Hose-end' connectors-I bet they've got a proper name.

It is going to become,or has already become,a legal requirement in France to carry a 0.05%
Breath test kit in all vehicles. ::bigsmile:

Mike

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
extra mirror

Thanks

Steve

I thought it might be a good idea ::bigsmile:its a milenco blind spot and it sits on the casing of the exterior mirrors
just safer when joining a fast moving traffic flow when wife is asleep zzzzzzzzz

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
warning triangle

One if you do not have a trailer, two if you do (Warning triangles).. first aid kit. Spare bulbs.

decide where you are going... good first night stop if heading South is Neufchatel-en-bray this side of Rouen by about an our and 2 hours from Calais .. in the ACSI .. great little site easy access and nice town, lots of shops in walking distance, cheap fuel, just off the motorway (which is free at that point) ... motorway is free from Calais until exit 30 then you have to pay.. duck off at junction 30 and the national road is fast and good.

I will be at this site from the 5th June for the month.. it is our base for local touring with the car.. have stayed on it a few times.. peaceful (Except for the 7 a.m. bells of the church across the small river that runs beside the site). Have bumped in to other MHF members on this site a few times, very popular as an over night stop in or out and good as a base to tour from.

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Thanks

Steve

Drink drive...it is a new law now.....without the kit onboard it is a 17 euro fine...a simple kits can be purchased for around 4 euros and will last for about a year....maybe in a short while they will become cheaper....because it is a new law the price will be high...soon maybe around 1 euro:winky:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Thanks

Steve

Steve .....Just remember July and August is the time when the French all go on holiday and can become very very busy.:Doh:

a cork screw and a bottle opener
Mel

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004

Our first time too, didn't realise there was so much to do. After reading your thread I've started a list too, well just copied yours really plus all the great replys. I'm sure France will be worth it......as long as I don't forget my list.:winky: Jan

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
June is better

Steve .....Just remember July and August is the time when the French all go on holiday and can become very very busy.:Doh:

Mel

June is better.. see the post for towing in France as I have put a lot of general details on there which may help you.

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
1.Electric-1. I carry 3 various length EHU leads-and have,at times used all 3 joined together.
2. Some sites still use French 2 pin sockets for hook up-so that's one adaptor.
3. I find it handy to have French 2pin-Brit 13 amp when on campsites to plug
lappy in-any Travel plug will do that.
2.Water- 1. I carry one reel of flat food quality hose,1 5mtr length of same and a short
piece-around 1 mtr.
2. A variety of Hozelock screw on tap connectors.
3. One rubber tap connector.
4.A couple of hose joining connectors
5. 2 Hozelock nozzles
6. Some spare Hozelock 'Hose-end' connectors-I bet they've got a proper name.

It is going to become,or has already become,a legal requirement in France to carry a 0.05%
Breath test kit in all vehicles. ::bigsmile:

Mike

Don't forget,... you buy some of these items over here, that is if you forget to get them..BUT...and there is always a BUT they may be a lot more expensive.....:Doh:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks...

Is there a site to get all this stuff from at the right price, or is it a matter of shopping around for everythingindividually.

So what is the breath test kit for? (apart from the obvious).

Steve

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just a reminder

Just a reminder you cannot use open flame BBQ in France... you have to get permission and if they give it they are responsible for the damage.. so it is normally closed grill types off gas like cadac or cobs (very good they are to).

Remember you will also need a camping carnet for the sites you go to.

Bob p.s I am told by Frankie, our resident frog (little frenchie as she is self styled) that it may only be a camp site rule about the BBQ... I camp across it mainly in the dry South of France.. but I have asked her to correct my mistake if I have made it... sorry.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just a reminder you cannot use open flame BBQ in France... you have to get permission and if they give it they are responsible for the damage.. so it is normally closed grill types off gas like cadac or cobs (very good they are to).

Bob

What`s a camping carnet?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Bob p.s I am told by Frankie, our resident frog (little frenchie as she is self styled) that it may only be a camp site rule about the BBQ... I camp across it mainly in the dry South of France.. but I have asked her to correct my mistake if I have made it... sorry.

That's alright Bob ::bigsmile:... I guess in South France it might be more often a NO NO if the owner of the campsite decides he prefers to be safe than sorry , you will usually find the information before you book on their site, ... But not a law on french territory up to now
and I do hope it will stay like this as I only have open flames BBQ and only like this one :Blush::Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
I usually take my French girlfriend when I go to France, she is very useful for that. ::bigsmile:

Something worth getting is the aires as POIs on your Tomtom, super useful, you can also get the municipal sites, both free, just Google.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks...
Is there a site to get all this stuff from at the right price, or is it a matter of shopping around for everythingindividually.
So what is the breath test kit for? (apart from the obvious).
Steve

Most of 'all this stuff' is stuff you would be carrying anywhere you go touring-OK the electrical adaptors are specific to France.
My 'water box' is in use in UK as well and Hozelock bits can be got at most garden centres or DIY stores-in France Monsieur Bricolage is the place to go.
Electrical adaptors can be got at most caravan and camping stores.

The breath test kit is,or will be, as Heyupluv posted earlier,required by French law so that they can either test you,or fine you for not having it ::bigsmile:
Better safe than sorry.

It may seem a lot now,but once you have been to France it all becomes part of your basic kit. If you forget anything,there's always someone who can help you out.I have found the Dutch to be very well equipped,helpful and as an added bonus they often speak English.

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back