First time in France a few questions (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We are going over to France for the first time and were going to play it by ear in terms of places to stay. We have taken on board what people say about Aires but we will want to stay at some of the camp sites. My question is can we just turn up at this time of the year, we leave beginning of April, or do we have to book up beforehand. We may just want to stay a couple of nights and move on. Also we are worried about being there over Easter and weekends when it is liable to be a bit busier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, we're really looking forward to it. ::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you go as far as Avignon make the few extra mile to Pont du gard there is a site La Sousta within 200 meters of the roman aqueduct:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having had to take all of our summer holidays in July and August I see no reason to worry about finding places on medium-sized to large aires if you use your common sense and plan your journey to arrive when most others are leaving, ie mid-morning.

If you've got a SatNav, download and install the free aires/MH parking POI file from http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php just before you set off (it's updated daily). They also do a free Smartphone App, bu it's a bit easier to use their website if you have occasional wi-fi access.

Keep any Euro coins you get in a money pot for use on aire ticket machines - not all of them accept foreign bank cards.

Diesel pumps at petrol stations may also be labelled 'Gazole' - it's the same thing. Sans Plomb or 'SP' is Unleaded. The cheapest fuel by far is at supermarkets, typically up to 20 cents a litre cheaper than Autoroute service areas. If you download SatNav POI files for Carrefour, Intermarche, LeClerc, Auchan and Super-U you'll never have trouble finding a nearby supermarket.

The French have a standardised speed limit system for built-up areas where any town/village name sign with a red outline means 50kph/30mph from that point onwards - don't wait for the 'Rappel' (Reminder) signs.

Weekends are busier for obvious reasons, and the Easter weekend particularly so, BUT Good Friday is not a public holiday in France, so use it to get to your destination and stake out your pitch for the weekend, then stay until the following Tuesday. Simples.

I can fully understand you wanting to include campsites in the mix on your first trip over there, but take the opportunity to give one or two aires a go as well. I certainly wish we'd discovered them earlier.

Bon voyage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For easy access to Avignon try Camping Bagatelle next to the Pont Edouard Daladier - don't bother with the nearby aire underneath said bridge, it looked awful when we visited. The campsite was fine and was within easy walking distance of all the good bits.

I agree about the Pont du Gard, mentioned above - well worth a detour.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We were thinking going in August will we have to book sites and will aires be busy :Smile:

We have been several times during the summer holidays and never booked a site yet, we even turned up at Annecy and got in the first site we tried. France has loads of site and aires so you will never be stuck for somewhere to stay.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
1st time in France

One thing your could think about would be a Euro card such as FX. It's a great way of 'saving' and financing a trip. It simple to buy Euros and put onto the card when the rates are good. A good book to look at as well is Camperstop, or you can just buy the POI version to load onto your Sat Nav.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
if you go as far as Avignon make the few extra mile to Pont du gard there is a site La Sousta within 200 meters of the roman aqueduct:thumb:

What a fantastic campsite. Went there about 18 years old with a tent in a heatwave. Spent the evening swimming down to the Pont and back with some friends to cool down. When we came back, a pile of 16-20 year olds had gathered on the campsite side to strum guitars and watch the sun go down. Our entrance fee to the party was a couple of washed up old trees we carried above our heads across the river for the camp fire. A proper mix from across Europe. We even got free beer for supplying half a tonne of firewood!

That whole area is fantastic. Orange, Nimes, Pont du Gard, Avignon, Uzes...

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just thought, if you're going down that side of France, Dijon is a lovely city for a stopover - excellent market on a Tuesday. A municipal campsite with attached aire can be found within cycling distance of the town centre, with riverside bike tracks most of the way in and a lake side park nearby.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Petrol stations

Didn't know that thanks.:thumb:

I wouldn't worry about it, most supermarkets have at least one 24 unattended hour pump which accepts credit/debit cards. the only issue is some only take Mastrcard so its' better if you can have both master card and visa to cover all options.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
France trip

Hi, My advice is to make sure that you have good breakdown cover I speak from personal experience , :cry:but on a lighter note Im sure you will love France I had a great time even though I was a little unsure about the roads /driving on the wrong side as it were but I was ok just be careful when pulling out of garages/filling stations :thumb:

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
pack ya things in ya van make sure ya got diesel and water and booze and away ya go france aint 3rd world whatever u forget u will get in france
just get out there and leave ya cares behind

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back