First Time Going To France And Spain (1 Viewer)

Skydog1

Free Member
May 4, 2013
WestGate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
Hi we hope to go away end of June to France and Spain for 3/ 4 weeks we would be glad of any help regarding what we need to take for the trip will I need another gas Bt we have 2 6 s ,we intend to go from Dover. It would be great if there was some one going at the same time that we could tag along .I have driven all over France and Spain but not taken the Motor home.
All help gratefully received .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we use approx 20ltrs of gas during a 3 week holiday, that is fridge on gas 24/7 plus cooking, more than that if we need heating. If your van keeps the fridge cold on 12V whilst driving then you may well use a lot less also if you eat out a lot that will reduce your usage. I believe the French "Le Cube" has the same connection as 6kg butane bottle, or is it propane, maybe someone can clarify, we have a fixed tank and carry enough for 3 months, hee hee.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Skydog1 we did 3 weeks last year and went all over Europe. We used one 6kg and a little bit of the second one. Mainly stayed on sites with EHU, but a few where none were left, so fridge used the gas.
We carry a gas BBQ and a cylinder for that, so that conserved the van gas quite nicely.
Remember in Spain you need two warning triangles, and everywhere in Europe requires that every occupant has their own hi-vis vest in the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Whilst it may not be the law to have hi-vis vests visible in the cab (ie on the back of the seats), it makes sense to do so if you're a foreign-registered vehicle. One less reason to be pulled over and checked.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We were in France & Spain for 26 nights in March mostly on Aires and without EHU and just started our 2nd 6kg cylinder at Dover on the way back
If you havn't already, get yourself a copy of All the Aires
If you are going from Dover, consider the Park & Ride at Canterbury before/after your crossing (abt 20-30mins away)
Have a look at some of the blogs and threads on here regarding routes , sites etc.
Consider a 3 mobile sim for phone or tablet for their 'feel at home' service
Keep an open mind about where to go, and above all ENJOY it.

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
We have been in Spain for five days now, having driven down through France. Get yourself the "Campercontact " app, it's free and you can download offline maps, it's brilliant!! French Aires are for the most part blooming awesome, ( my blog has all the coordinates so far). Take as little diesel as you need, it's about 92/95 p a litre in France and we actually paid 83 p a litre in Spain the other day!!
Apart from that, EVERYBODY we have met has been so friendly, so helpful and Debs and I are loving it. We plan to be around Albir until the middle of July if you get near, give us a shout, a beer or wine will wing your way!! Enjoy it!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skydog1

Skydog1

Free Member
May 4, 2013
WestGate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
Thank you everybody for help ,still taking advice if anybody has any and if you going to France and Spain in June would still like some company

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Company can be fine but you will be fine on your own for once the left/right hand drive is resolved (about ten minutes) there is little or no difference to driving in the UK except the roads are better (a lot better) and in Spain other than on the Costa's generally quieter too. At the Aires, wherever you stop, you are likely to meet only friendly faces and if you should, in the unlikely event, breakdown, the person who answers the breakdown service will be English speaking and would arrange for any problems to be solved without any stress.
For many years we drove a very old van that was prone to problems owing to its age, no matter what had been done before travelling. The result was several encounters with lovely helpful people who went far beyond what I might expect at home if we broke down. I do not speak French and my Spanish could be learned over a weekend by a five year old.
Life is an adventure and if you have covered your insurance and breakdowns, just relax and let them worry. Just do the same sensible things you do at home and you will have a great holiday.

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
driving on the opposite side of the road will be much easier than you may think, most people i speak to about it say it seems to come natural (but you have to keep your wits about you) it can sometimes catch you unaware:LOL: We went to France and Spain last year in our PVC for the first time (been in a car many times to France though) our aim was to visit lots of places like Dune da Pilau (please excuse the spelling) Rocamadour, Carcassonne, amongst many more and never booked anywhere to stay, we drove to destinations and mid to late afternoon got the ACSI book out and looked for somewhere to stay the night before moving on, we did this for about 10 days until we met up with friends in Spain, but the journey via France doing this was so easy, we stayed on a few aires (yet to still find a nice one) and camp sites on our journey, if like us you will love traveling through France, its so easy, so much to see and do, and MH are well catered for over ther - hope you have a blast - Good luck and safe travels (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back