First time for everything..... (1 Viewer)

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hello all. Having just bought our first MH and dying to try it out, we are heading to Perth at the end of this month for a couple of nights to give it a go so to speak. We purchased the MH with nothing in it as far as equipment goes, no plates, cutlery, bedding, etc etc. We do have an awning which I'm going to attempt to set up, as well as sides to go with it. This will be our first attempt with a completely new to us van so does anyone have any friendly advice to give from experience?
G

OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Have bought and downloaded the ebook, will peruse it and print off the relevant pages for our first trip, thanks for the pointer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As you have mentioned the awning, my best tip is to NEVER put out the awning without also using tie down straps. Even on seemingly calm days, a sudden gust can "take" it and cause damage to the awning, the camper or both and be expensive.
As for equipment and bedding, just take stuff from your house and then buy things gradually as becomes necessary. Although I know it is exiting kitting out a new "home".

Upvote 0

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Just go local for the first trip and if you've forgotten anything that would make life easier - write it down.
If it's anything major - it's just a short trip back to get it.

Our first trip was just 9 miles along the road to Ravenglass where we and the dogs all loved it but we ended up with a list with around 8 or 9 purchases to make that made life easier.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't worry, every time we leave home my wife always asks "What have we forgotten this time". Just enjoy yourselves, have fun, and put it all down as a new experience.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We are newbies too,picked our first MH up in June.We followed the go local advice about 10 miles from home.We had already bought plates,cutlery etc as had a four month wait to pick up but other things we took from home.Over the summer we have bought the things we really need and leave those on the van so we are ready for a quick getaway.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I had to set up an empty MH recently. Great plans on what I wanted/needed to buy but in the end I bought little that was on my lists.

Now I reflect, a lot of what I bought, sits in cupboards unused, much of what I thought I needed has never been required and;

Most of my puchases have been made, at possibly higher prices, on the day I needed it from wherever I could get it. But that is balanced off by the amount of money I could have easily wasted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Awnings can be hard work try it home first, take pictures colour code which bit goes to which bit. Saves a bit of embarrassment at the campsite but equally someone at the campsite would probably help.
Take a torch. Toilet paper. Matches or lighter. T towel. Something easy to cook. Milk t and coffee t spoon other cutlery. Crockery. Pans. Alcohol if desired and corkscrew and bottle opener. Umbrella and sunscreen. Phone charger. Outside chairs. Chocks or levellers. EHU lead. Adjustable spanner & other basic tools.

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In my MH notebook, I have 2 pages marked

Things I need and don't have
Things I have and don't need

I wonder how full the pages will be on our return from our next trip (which includes Twin Lakes and Lincoln) due to last just over a month.

p.s. the first wine supply will be BiB (bag in box)

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Over several years we have made up our own checklist which has been successful. However, we recently went to Scandinavia for 6 weeks and dutifully completed the checklist as we went along. Unfortunately we got a bit distracted as neither of us was very well at the start (we should have postponed but had already arranged to meet someone) - we forgot to check that all the boxes had been checked before we left..................!

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just go local for the first trip and if you've forgotten anything that would make life easier - write it down.

I've only been motorhoming for a year, this is definitely sound advice! Before your long trip, take a short local trip - I speak from experience when I say you'll soon find out what you need to pack :D

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Don't buy anything you already have in the house to start with just take stuff from the house, go for a short stay not too far from home, make notes of the things you use/don't use.
Leave the awning at home!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
  1. If going to a Club site, your membership card; EHU cable; water hose &/or container/funnel
  2. Outdoor chairs & table
  3. Map
  4. Notebook & pen
  5. Sense of humour

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Tip.. practice putting the awning up at home.. until you can do it like a pro..(y)

then on site you won't become the tuggers evening entertainment.. :LOL:

To be honest I can't keep the MH at home as have nowhere to store it, was going to practice it on site on our second day. We hired a camper van last year to go to a music festival and I ended up going around the site helping a number of people who couldn't figure out how to put up their awnings. I'm just going to take my time (and a lot of pics lol), if I become a subject of entertainment then I probably have lightened someone's day.
Thank you everyone for the advice, I will enjoy speaking to you all in the future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well, we did our first trip and had a great time! We put up the awning/privacy room in about an hour after a short consultation of YouTube :).
The check lists came in handy but the best thing was having a notebook to take note of what we could use next time. Next trip is seeing a couple of friends at the end of October at Seton Sands in East Lothian. Now just need to get that fridge gas igniter fixed........:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
First outing? Go camping near a big shop! A Go Outdoors next door would be even better lol
We actually have a Go Outdoors about half an hour away from where we live, in my home town actually, AND I get a further 10%discount for being in the Fire Service :D

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Very few essentials are costly so don't worry too much. If you have to buy them as you travel they can be left in the van thus reducing the length of future checklists :D.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back