First time for everything.....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gordon-G, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gordon-G

Gordon-G Funster

hello all. Having just bought our first MH and dying to try it out, we are heading to Perth at the end of this month for a couple of nights to give it a go so to speak. We purchased the MH with nothing in it as far as equipment goes, no plates, cutlery, bedding, etc etc. We do have an awning which I'm going to attempt to set up, as well as sides to go with it. This will be our first attempt with a completely new to us van so does anyone have any friendly advice to give from experience?
    G

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Gordon-G

Gordon-G Funster

Have bought and downloaded the ebook, will peruse it and print off the relevant pages for our first trip, thanks for the pointer!

4. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

As you have mentioned the awning, my best tip is to NEVER put out the awning without also using tie down straps. Even on seemingly calm days, a sudden gust can "take" it and cause damage to the awning, the camper or both and be expensive.
    As for equipment and bedding, just take stuff from your house and then buy things gradually as becomes necessary. Although I know it is exiting kitting out a new "home".

• Like Like x 1
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i wouldnt leave the awing unattended in fact for your first trip id leave the awning where it is, just enjoy your selves

• Like Like x 3
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Come over to Millport this weekend. Country western festival. 4 funster vans here :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gordon-G

Gordon-G Funster

Would consider it but broke my elbow last week in a cycling accident, can't drive at the moment, hopefully will be OK by end of month

8. adt

adt Funster

Just go local for the first trip and if you've forgotten anything that would make life easier - write it down.
    If it's anything major - it's just a short trip back to get it.

Our first trip was just 9 miles along the road to Ravenglass where we and the dogs all loved it but we ended up with a list with around 8 or 9 purchases to make that made life easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WillH

WillH Funster

Don't worry, every time we leave home my wife always asks "What have we forgotten this time". Just enjoy yourselves, have fun, and put it all down as a new experience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dizzy Izzy

Dizzy Izzy Funster

We are newbies too,picked our first MH up in June.We followed the go local advice about 10 miles from home.We had already bought plates,cutlery etc as had a four month wait to pick up but other things we took from home.Over the summer we have bought the things we really need and leave those on the van so we are ready for a quick getaway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dizzy Izzy

Dizzy Izzy Funster

Forgot to mention,on our first trip we forgot the corkscrew and in this day of screw tops, our wine had a cork!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

I had to set up an empty MH recently. Great plans on what I wanted/needed to buy but in the end I bought little that was on my lists.

Now I reflect, a lot of what I bought, sits in cupboards unused, much of what I thought I needed has never been required and;

Most of my puchases have been made, at possibly higher prices, on the day I needed it from wherever I could get it. But that is balanced off by the amount of money I could have easily wasted.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jimiol

jimiol Funster

Awnings can be hard work try it home first, take pictures colour code which bit goes to which bit. Saves a bit of embarrassment at the campsite but equally someone at the campsite would probably help.
    Take a torch. Toilet paper. Matches or lighter. T towel. Something easy to cook. Milk t and coffee t spoon other cutlery. Crockery. Pans. Alcohol if desired and corkscrew and bottle opener. Umbrella and sunscreen. Phone charger. Outside chairs. Chocks or levellers. EHU lead. Adjustable spanner & other basic tools.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

In my MH notebook, I have 2 pages marked

Things I need and don't have
    Things I have and don't need

I wonder how full the pages will be on our return from our next trip (which includes Twin Lakes and Lincoln) due to last just over a month.

p.s. the first wine supply will be BiB (bag in box)

• Like Like x 3
  15. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Over several years we have made up our own checklist which has been successful. However, we recently went to Scandinavia for 6 weeks and dutifully completed the checklist as we went along. Unfortunately we got a bit distracted as neither of us was very well at the start (we should have postponed but had already arranged to meet someone) - we forgot to check that all the boxes had been checked before we left..................!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    I've only been motorhoming for a year, this is definitely sound advice! Before your long trip, take a short local trip - I speak from experience when I say you'll soon find out what you need to pack :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. 2bob

2bob Funster

a torch

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Don't buy anything you already have in the house to start with just take stuff from the house, go for a short stay not too far from home, make notes of the things you use/don't use.
    Leave the awning at home!

• Like Like x 1
  19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

1. If going to a Club site, your membership card; EHU cable; water hose &/or container/funnel
    2. Outdoor chairs & table
    3. Map
    4. Notebook & pen
    5. Sense of humour

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Tip.. practice putting the awning up at home.. until you can do it like a pro..(y)

then on site you won't become the tuggers evening entertainment.. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1