First time buyer after a Bongo.... (1 Viewer)

steerpike

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
mendips
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm new
I've decided to go for a Bongo and wondered if anyone had their 2 pence to add.

My requirements:-
  • needs 2 seperate sleeping compartments because I will use with my teenage daughter so some privacy is required
  • would prefer a 4x4 I think
  • would prefer a hardtop though might be persuaded otherwise
  • it *might* become my sole vehicle so needed for some supermarket runs etc...
  • budget is approx £12k
That's about it. I don't want something that will house me for months on end, just the odd weekend away and occasional break to the continent for a week or so.

Thanks in advance

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had a Bongo for years, great camper, we had a side conversion done by Freespirit it was a 4 berth, with 4 traveling seats. It did have 2 beds, but the roof tent can be cold and is not safe in high winds, also when the rock and roll bed is out it is not easy to climb into the roof. We only slept 2 people mainly in the roof tent, a big problem is if anyone needs the toilet in the night you have to open the hatch and climb down into the vehicle. We had a toilet in one of the cupboards which we left out at night. This would not work for you, if both sleeping areas are in use. This was one of the reasons we changed for a PVC. The diesel automatic Bongo comes a 4X4 but it is old technology and the fuel consumption is not good. On the plus side it is a great vehicle to drive and well ahead of it's time with all the features. Good luck and welcome to FUN

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

steerpike

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
mendips
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm new
Thanks for the very useful and detailed info. Plenty of food for thought.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Rock n Roll bed not really suitable for separate sleep space.
Take a look at a Devon Sunrise layout or Wildax Pulsar (Pop Top and High Top).
Two singles, side kitchen, rear Thetford that can be screened from the front end.
Not too difficult to fix up central removable dividing screen between the two beds.

I think that layout would suit you though finding a van with that layout at your budget might take some time - but it's out there somewhere.

Happy hunting.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Had good service from a Bongo for some years,was on my own at the time and found it perfect as I could still haul my body up through the hatch into the pod above.More difficult after a few falling down waters.
Solid,dependable van,I blocked the egr,easy to do,K&N air filter and was a good,reliable motor.
Bit heavy on fuel but to be expected for a 2.5 diesel auto.
Good luck with your search and enjoy the fun.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Could you use and store a trailer for your handglider? Have you been onto Bongofury.co.uk and asked a similar question?

Re fridge; what do you want to chill? We used our Bongo for 8 years without a fridge. We only ever used EHU once when it was foretasted to be cold and damp and it was included in the pitch fee. We used a small oil filled heater that night but could have survived without.

As for your budget, you are likely to get a very good converted Bongo for that price but some conversions reduce the sleeping capacity; you want two sleeping areas and I can't see how you can achieve that without a raising roof.

I would investigate options for using a trailer or getting a roof rack for the AFT and possibly reduce the expenditure on the van to pay for the trailer.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
have you thought of an awning or similar for the bongo that would give you capacity for a second compartment?

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I bought Kon-Tiki, but have still kept my Bongo as it a great van. Heating issue's are more common on the diesel than the petrol. I have high temp and low fluid alarms to warn me about cooling.
Mine is a V6 petrol with a LPG conversion, 54p per litre. Like Motorhome Fun,The Bongo Fury website is very good, to find all that you will need to know.
You can't have four berth's with a tin top. As the Laird mentioned use a awning.
Happy hunting. John.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If I was starting again I would probably look for a VW T4 Westfalia California Exclusive high top. 4 berths, central kitchen, rear toilet compartment, and high quality conversion. £12k should get an early one.

LHD only. There might be some 4x4 Synchro examples, but probably as rare as unicorns.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back