First solo overnighter - trip report! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
OK, so this was a couple of weeks ago now, but having asked Broken Link Removed I said I'd post a report. So here you are. Not the first time out in the van, but the first time going solo.

I decided on Hayling Island as my destination - thanks Les!

Main reasons was that I'd never ever been before, and it looked quite compact (given I was there for a quick overnighter), and there was official parking, so not-quite wild camping but ideal for my first time out.

I set out late on the saturday afternoon, having spent the day fettling with the van (and affixing my new Funster stickers!) and enjoying the beautiful sunshine (where'd that all go then?). Had a very pleasant drive down - I may not have aircon in the MAchzone, but my coach-driver style fans do an amazing job to keep things cool. I do love the reactions the machzone gets from passersby - it's generally either a friendly smile, or an expression which can only say "wtf is that??" :ROFLMAO:. I also got some good waves from fellow motorhomers, and did some good waving, although not always returned (not Funsters obviously :winky:)

Crossed over onto the island and headed for the beach. I parked up initially midway between Funland and the pub; had a wee and put the kettle on for a brew (motorhomes are great aren't they ::bigsmile:).

A little later I walked along the beach down to Funland in search of fish and chips. Mission accomplished, I headed back to the van to dish up my dinner onto Broken Link Removed and watched the sun go down.

So then thoughts turn to settling in for the night. I was getting a little apprehensive as the day visitors empties out of the car park, and it started to become frequented by the youth with their bmw's and massive exhaust pipes. I'd parked facing outwards, and decided on the sofabed rather than the bunk in case I wanted to drive out in a hurry. Then spotted the no overnighting sign! Not situated anywhere near to the parking ticket machine usefully!

So trundled a bit further down the island to find the official overnight parking, and a bunch of other motorhomes. Paid my 8 quid for the night. Feeling much happier about this spot. Went for a dusk walk along the beach (which turned into a litter pick - if you can be bothered to carry 3 tesco bags worth of scoff down the beach to stuff your fat faces - bloody take your rubbish back with you!! :Angry:). Back at the van, supped a beer perched on a rock over the sea, then headed in to bed.

Great nights sleep! Breakfast by the van, cup of tea on the aforementioned rock. Packed up and headed off. I drove further down for a bit more of an explore of the island, before hitting the road and heading home.

Brilliant first solo trip out!! I'm looking forward to more overnight dashes to new places - I love the fact that the van is always there; for a long trip away, or to go somewhere new just for a night.

Thanks to the various advices I've had off here that made for a successful trip out ::bigsmile:

Jamie :rollonfloor:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hey Jamie, thing you have got the hang of it, thats what its all about, good report. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back