First 'proper' adventure. Have I got it right?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Robert Clark, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi Guys.
    Leaving in 10 days time for our first 'proper' adventure. Driving a 8m MH along the Romantic Road, Bavaria, Austria, Northern Italy. All stops are single nights, sadly not enough time to extend the trip.

Dover - Calais, lunchtime ferry crossing. 1.5 hour drive to Campsite Blaarmeersen - Ghent

Ghent - Wurzburg, 5 hour drive,Campsite Wertheim-Bettingen - Bettingen

Wurzburg - Rothenburg. 1 hour drive, Campsite Tauberromantik - Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg - Augsburg. 1.5 hour drive, Lech-Camping, Affing-Mühlhausen

Augsburg - Hohenschwangau. 2 hour drive, Campsite Hopfensee, Füssen

Hohenschwangau - Salzburg, 3 hour drive (avoiding toll roads), Panorama-Camping. Salsburg

Salzburg - Carinthia, 5 hour drive (avoiding toll roads), Campsite Klagenfurt Wörthersee
    travel via Villacher Alpenstrasse

Carinthia - Cortina d'Ampezzo, 3 hour drive. CAMPING ROCCHETTA, Cortina d'Ampezzo
    Visit Passo Giau

Cortina d'Ampezzo - Innsbruck 4 hour drive, Ferienparadies Natterer See, Natters
    Travel via grossglockner high alpine road

Innsbruck - Freiburg, 4.5 hour drive, Campingplatz am Möslepark, Freiburg

Freiburg - Ardennes, 4 hour drive, Camping Bertrix, Bertrix

Ardennes to Calais, late afternoon ferry to UK

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Robert

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Wow. I don't know if you got it right but sounds like one heck of a lot of good planning went into that.

Have a WONDERFUL time.

Hopefully some of the more experienced travellers will come along in a minute and be of help to you with advice for your trip. :)

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Robert.. no offence intended.. but you will need a holiday after that trip... far too many stops in such a short time scale..

• Like Like x 4
  4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Agree with ScotJimland, too much driving for me .......too many stops.........too tight a timetable......but good luck with it(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Sounds like one of my old work schedules. It would take me at least 3 months to do that lot now.

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

So are you all advising Robert to re think the schedule and perhaps drive without as many stops, i.e. longer driving hours, or to re-think the route/destination? He sounds like he would appreciate any advice you can give from your experiences.

7. Robert Clark

No offense taken !
    As we can only get away for 2-3 weeks at a time (maximum) and we want to 'go' places, I can't see that we've got much option (unless I've missed something, hence the post in the first place.
    We've done a number of long road trips in the US, and the traveling between places was often as good as being somewhere. Having said that, we've allowed some time for cycling and walking on the shorter trips so we are determined to get out of the MH and do something.
    Appreciate your feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I bet you don't stick to that schedule! You'll find somewhere fab and stay longer - best laid plans and all that!!!
    Enjoy it wherever u end up!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Movan - just read your signature and it reminded me of an Indian proverb told to me by a Navajo guide in Monument Valley this year. It goes something like this.......Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Both... you don't want to be driving EVERY day ..
    I'd take two or three days to get there and back.. with four days on location . Or not go so far.

But we are all different, and much depends on your age.. When I was younger I did mad dashes to the Med., without a stop... from Glasgow..

Like Dave said .. the same journey today might take three months.. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Robert Clark

ScotJimland - would this work better?

Dover - Calais, lunchtime ferry crossing. 1.5 hour drive to Campsite Blaarmeersen - Ghent

Ghent - Wurzburg, 5 hour drive,Campsite Wertheim-Bettingen - Bettingen (2 nights)

Wurzburg - Augsburg. 2.5 hour drive, Lech-Camping, Affing-Mühlhausen (2 nights)

Augsburg - Hohenschwangau. 2 hour drive, Campsite Hopfensee, Füssen (2 nights)

Hohenschwangau- Freiburg, 4.5 hour drive, Campingplatz am Möslepark, Freiburg (2 nights)

Freiburg - Ardennes, 3.5 hour drive, Camping Bertrix, Bertrix (2 nights)

Ardennes to Calais, late afternoon ferry to UK

Cuts out Austria and Italy, but gives more 'quality' time on the Romantic Road.
    Or how about 1 night in Ausburg and 3 nights in Hohenschwangau?

Appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Regards
    Robert

• Like Like x 2
  12. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Your revised schedule is more like a holiday!
    Your original schedule was more like as Dave says a truckers delivery timetable. At least now you are giving yourself time to get out of the van and actually see the places rather than just drive through them.
    The Romantic Road is fabulous, we did it a couple of years ago but we took nearly a month over it. And we still didnt see everything.
    Remember that plans are made to be changed - if you are enjoying somewhere dont feel like you have to charge on to the next place just because its in your "Plan". Its not work where a project plan has to be adhered to! And you dont have to try and see everything in one trip - there is always next year and the year after.
    Remember too that you dont have to use campsites in Germany. There are thousands of Stellplatz in Germany, many free, most of the others a very reasonable fee and most with EHU (usually on a meter). Get the BordAtlas which has a comprehensive listing. Its in German but theres an English glossary thatmakes it easy to work it out.
    Just relax and enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  13. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Or
    Dover-Calais enjoy the scenery at a leisurely pace in the general direction you would like to go set a maximum time you want to drive towards your 1st stop over .
    When there, take time to chill and enjoy that area then make a plan when you want to move again .
    Theres lots to see if you've not been that way before you may like it you may not
    Theres always the next time if you run out of time.
    Like you I enjoy the drive as much as the stop over.But I gave up the multi drop style long ago.
    Whatever you choose enjoy your journey we are only here once.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we never plan itineraries much more relaxing to go with the flow stop longer if you like it move on if you dont

• Like Like x 4
  15. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Don't miss out on Rothenburg, it was the highlight of the Romantic Road for us, that and Fussen. We travelled down the Rhine, onto the Romantic Road this May. The bits in the middle are (as far as we were concerned) not so brilliant. We stayed in the Stellplatz in Rothenburg, just across the road from the entrance into the walled Town - I think it was about 10 euros per night for a really nice spot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

I don't know how busy it will be in August, but we didn't plan anything at all, and stayed in stellplatz's rather than campsites. PM me if you want a list of where we stayed.

17. Robert Clark

Sent you a PM (I think)
    Regards

Robert

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

On a 2 week schedule, we find it best to target one particular region to tour.
    Europe in bite size chunks is far more relaxing than a driving holiday whilst attempting to see it all at once!

• Like Like x 2
  19. TerryL

TerryL Funster

On our first trip we tried to see as much as we could and later realised that all we'd actually seen was miles of roads. So now we just aim at an area with a researched list of places we'd like to see and go with the flow. Sometimes the weather changes things too. Whatever we miss will still be there to enjoy later.

Just finished "planning" our autumn trip to Romantic Road and Alpenstrasse so let us know how you get on.

TerryL

• Like Like x 1
  20. Robert Clark

Thanks for the feedback guys
    Based on advice given we are not making any firm bookings but will 'go with the flow' and see where the adventure takes us
    The only firm bookings will be our first and last nights sites
    Will post details of the trip if anyone is interested
    Regards
    Robert

• Like Like x 4