Oct 17, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
7 years
Hi,

Been around this and the sister forum for quite a while, gaining valuable information and tips, so thanks to all.

We are taking our 32 ft R Vision to France, starting from Calais and staying overnight mid-way (all advice welcome) and then staying for 6 nights at Parc Verger before returning presumably via the same route.

My questions are, (besides the overnight recommendations)

Overnight stop in Dover, as we hope to get a very early ferry.

Toll charges - I would prefer to use motorways as we don't have too much time, and the ease of use appeals - but what sort of cost is involved for what I assume will be a class 3 vehicle.

Route - Definetly not doing the Paris option, so Rouen seems to be the way to choose, but are there huge problems with traffic around the bridge repairs, and if so can anyone recommend an avoiding route ?

All help greatly appreciated.

Mark

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Morning

with regard to Dover you can stay on Waterloo Crescent/Marine Parade over night, loads of MHs do it, you're only 2 minutes from the ferry and you can watch the ferries coming & going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi and welcome, can't help much with your questions but I hardly ever come back the same way I go in the van, so much to see::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome, enjoy your trip. :Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We came back on toll roads from Limoges in June, total cost was about €60 but this was for a car, I guess HGV will be dearer thou by how much, I don't know. Rouen was "interesting". Traffic wasn't too bad but you have to guess your way through, road diversion signs were non existent.
We are going again in August in the MH and this is the route I will be taking
((Coming on the A28 from the north to Rouen, the diversion route takes the A29 in the direction of Amiens and Le Havre, then the A151 in the direction of Rouen, then the A150. If you are heading south to Le Mans/Bordeaux etc. you then pick up the A13 west to Le Havre and shortly turn south on the A28, or earlier onto the N438 if you want to avoid the A28 tolls. We think the tolls are well worth it as the A28 is speedy and hassle free, unlike the N438. Whichever you choose, just be alert to be in the correct lane and follow the diversion signs! Heading north is the same route around Rouen in reverse, also with diversion signs.))
Coming back was easier. Just follow the blanked out Calais signs till you get to the closed bridge then go past the bridge and follow Boulogne signs.
Coming out of Rouen that way was busy with lots of hill starts. You need your wits about you because there are a few illogical ( Captain) junctions!
Have a good time though. Dover seafront, as has been mentioned, is good for parking or if you want an aire type stop, Canterbury Park and Ride, Old Dover Rd is good and cheap but closed on Sundays and there's a pub at the entrance with good food.
Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Yes we made the mistake of just following the SatNav after getting off the ferry at Calais and we got snarled up good and proper on Paris's Boulevard Peripherique. Won't be doing that again.

Easiest way to go through Rouen if you've got any doubts is to go round it. Personally I'd head for Le Havre along the A29, cross the Pont de Normandie over the Seine estuary then find the quickest route down to the A28 - our SatNav usually takes us along good roads between Honfleur and the A28. More miles but an easy drive. By the time you've crossed the Pont de Normandie (about 3 hours' drive from Calais) you've got just over 300 miles to Limoges.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and welcome:welcomefunster:
Margaret & Bill (south of Scotland)

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Ist post

Rather than hanging around in Dover we've always found we can get an earlier ferry than booked - had to pay an extra £7 once but other times free. Just ask at ticket office. Prefer to rest up in France. If you're using toll roads there is a very nice free aire at the Baie de Somme which is an easy drive from Calais.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back