First night in the staff car park solo :-) (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I had a silly o clock report time of 0520 this morning which means getting up about 3am to make it in time for the commute and staff bus etc into work.

Instead I rolled up a little after 8pm to the staff Carpark in the Motorhome and had a nice relaxed night getting up at 0430 instead :)

Might not sound much difference but on the back end of the clock you feel it.

Dodged a 2nd bullet also as my little girl had a temperature last night and mum was up every half hour with her so that would have destroyed any quality sleep I was likely to get. (Yes mum needs sleep too but she did not have to fly a 70ton jet with 200 people off skiing this morning).

Anyway off home now I have packed up to rescue a tired mummy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've paid for it, you still are in terms of tax and insurance, so why not use it. And as you say, lack of sleep is a killer and no stranger AAIB reports.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Great idea and hope baby girl is better soon!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Great idea. Makes a lot of sense. Better than waking up half the family in the process of getting off to work.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Nah, just a lowly surf on his way to work but I often wondered how our pilots kept awake.

According to some sources, they don't. They tend to wake up for take off, landing and food ;)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
According to some sources, they don't. They tend to wake up for take off, landing and food ;)

I recall one study where pilots were wired with a heart rate monitor to see how they performed. The highest reading turned out to be when the hostess served them with food.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
So I had a silly o clock report time of 0520 this morning which means getting up about 3am to make it in time for the commute and staff bus etc into work.

Instead I rolled up a little after 8pm to the staff Carpark in the Motorhome and had a nice relaxed night getting up at 0430 instead :)

Might not sound much difference but on the back end of the clock you feel it.

Dodged a 2nd bullet also as my little girl had a temperature last night and mum was up every half hour with her so that would have destroyed any quality sleep I was likely to get. (Yes mum needs sleep too but she did not have to fly a 70ton jet with 200 people off skiing this morning).

Anyway off home now I have packed up to rescue a tired mummy.
Did you find any issues with your Insurer. I considered using my van to travel in to work on a couple of occasions, secure parking etc but my Insurer would not cover travelling to, or from work, not even on the odd occasion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Did you find any issues with your Insurer. I considered using my van to travel in to work on a couple of occasions, secure parking etc but my Insurer would not cover travelling to, or from work, not even on the odd occasion.

Interestingly I did not think to check for commuting.

Just looked and It's not covered. So what I did was drive to some private land at an airport on my day off to stay the night. Then in the morning I got a staff bus to work and back. I then relaxed for an hour on the private land and got changed and drove home. That's covered.

All law is interpretable. But I'll have to give them a ring this week to add commuting just in case some dull person interprets it different to me and tries to cause issues.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

Just looked and It's not covered. So what I did was drive to some private land at an airport on my day off to stay the night. Then in the morning I got a staff bus to work and back. I then relaxed for an hour on the private land and got changed and drove home. That's covered.

All law is interpretable. But I'll have to give them a ring this week to add commuting just in case some dull person interprets it different to me and tries to cause issues.

Better safe than sorry, especially if something happened to it in your car park, involving another party who may be very direct with the location ?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Things like this I wouldn't even consider asking ?:unsure: If I've insured a vehicle for daily use I'd expect to be able to use it for any use that I wanted.
Mine you it does remind me of when working in the UK, getting them to understand that my works vehicles didn't necessarily have an "overnight parking" place as they would more than likely be being used.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The UK is a bit to (I can't say) for my likings with stuff like this. Life is full of grey area and you need it to actually work.

Let's say I drove to see my mate who lives in the village next to the airport the day before work and chose to park it up in the staff car park. Have a really driven to work for work purposes or have I just taken advantage of free parking at a location I have access to? I then decide no point in moving it as I am working the next day anyway and as it's not advertised as a overnight parking/camping as you say it's just some private land I am parked on. All private land generally states you park at your own risk anyway so they don't care.

My insurance covers me to park on private land for the purpose I bought it for. That should really be the end of it.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I use mine to work in (as a mobile office) and also to visit customers. So I need full business use cover, not just commuting. That does limit the available firms who are even prepared to quote.

If you run into any problems, give the Louth branch of the NFU Mutual a call. The NFU are well used to this mix of occasional business with predominantly non-business use. Although I live there, I only suggest the Louth office because the agent there has made something of a speciality of m/h insurance. I'm with the NFU, but via a different office, purely for historic reasons.

See
www.nfumutual.co.uk/branches/louth/
and
www.nfumutual.co.uk/personal/insurance/our-insurance-products/motor-insurance/motorhome-insurance/

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@davidathomas42 I agree with that sentiment and you can guarantee that your insurer will only see the very riskiest element of commuting as a twice daily, rush hour drive and likely to load your policy accordingly.
Unless they're very understanding and happy to give you bespoke cover, they won't see it as an occasional commute, or even to cover an unforeseen breakdown of your usual car.
But from their side, I suppose if they gave you bespoke 'occasional commute' cover, how would they prove that the one time you need to claim, was the only such journey that month ?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

My policy is with Comfort (Aviva) and does include business use / commuting. It didn't add much to the premium.

The company head office is 170 miles away, but there is no way I would risk an overnight stay in their staff car park. The main road leads to an infamous estate that featured many times in Road Wars.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Let's say I drove to see my mate who lives in the village next to the airport the day before work and chose to park it up in the staff car park. Have a really driven to work for work purposes or have I just taken advantage of free parking at a location I have access to? I then decide no point in moving it as I am working the next day anyway and as it's not advertised as a overnight parking/camping as you say it's just some private land I am parked on. All private land generally states you park at your own risk anyway so they don't care.

My insurance covers me to park on private land for the purpose I bought it for. That should really be the end of it.
If it wasn't for you being at work though you wouldn't have parked it in the car park in the first place and if you mate lived so close that you did so ONLY to visit him and then left and went home again then it would possibly be considered as 'not-commuting'. However as you know you're going to go to work the following day so you will be leaving the vehicle there they'd probably deem this was still commuting. You may get away with it if you moved it somewhere else and didn't leave it in the staff car park BUT the question still stands that even if you could get round the initial trip TO your work, you'd still be classed as commuting when you leave AFTER work ... it isn't just about the journey to, but also from, your place of work, which is how some of the companies word it on their policies.

IMV it is still commuting if you intentionally drive somewhere and know that you will then be leaving the vehicle there and going to work nearby, not worth the risk of being uninsured.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Things like this I wouldn't even consider asking ?:unsure: If I've insured a vehicle for daily use I'd expect to be able to use it for any use that I wanted.
Mine you it does remind me of when working in the UK, getting them to understand that my works vehicles didn't necessarily have an "overnight parking" place as they would more than likely be being used.
When you take out an insurance policy it always asks you what your intended use is, eg "social, domestic and pleasure only", "SDP and commuting" etc so you should know exactly what you're covered for at the time you buy it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I interpret my car insurance in a similar way.

Mine Includes commuting to and from a PERMENANT place of work.
Well...as we were jobbing electricians my place of work was wherever the job was but no car use FOR the job.
I interpreted as 'no commercial travelling' :ie..a company rep travelling from customer to customer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
When you take out an insurance policy it always asks you what your intended use is, eg "social, domestic and pleasure only", "SDP and commuting" etc so you should know exactly what you're covered for at the time you buy it.

You do but you can forget.

I have a Daily driver. A Motorbike. A Rally Car (Road Legal and insured) A Motorhome and my wife car which I am on her policy.

Then I get rental cars a couple of times a month.

Believe me its easy to forget what has what.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back