Anth79

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
wallsend
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hey guys me and the family (wife and 2 kids) are on the hunt for our first motorhome. We like the layout of the windward rear lounge design as the seat converts in to bunk beds which is ideal for the kids and keeps them out the way. Any advice on buying our first motorhome? Thanks

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
:welc: A big welcome. LOADS of helpful people on here !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi there anth79. Welcome to MHF.
You've done the right thing joining a forum , you'll get loads of helpful advice. Plus a very numb bum, reading everything.
Layout is king, as is having enough seat belts for the kids. This is what we looked for .
Though we started off with a 15 k budget then blew it. Lots of smelly old sheds about , at a premium.
Plenty room to lounge about in and have your own space if the weather is bad outside. Preferably one that's winterised if you want to use it all year round. Smart modern , clean interior with a big Fridge freezer, cookerhob and grill. Webasto deisel heating, Seperate shower cubicle that's big enough to bend down and pick the soap up in . Huge king size over cab bed, and two bunks . So if there's four of you , no bed making. Cab seats that swivel round Into the lounge . To make a nice family space.
We found it in the CI mizar GTL living top class. Plus we got it right first time. A rarity seemingly.
They don't make them anymore. Ours is a 2006 model . They changed the layout after that year and the build of the interior was lightened up. Not as solid. Not as much lounge space.

Depending on your budget you may be interested in ours as she's up for sale soon. Refoamed and Reupholstered in a modern fabric. 4 new Michelin agilis Camping tyres , new cambelt , new breaks all for our recent New Years trip to Scotland. 30k on the clock. Loads of Other added extras ...... Solar, b2b monitor, fiamma awning , bike rack etcetcetc
We are downsizing ( lots) as the kids have grown and no longer come with us. We want to get to more out of the way places so are going down the panel van conversion route. Once she's had a hab check and full service she will be up for sale. 25k Ono
PM us if your interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum. The motorhome buyers guide written by Jim is available from his shop to right and Will save you more than the cost of the book.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anth79

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
wallsend
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi there anth79. Welcome to MHF.
You've done the right thing joining a forum , you'll get loads of helpful advice. Plus a very numb bum, reading everything.
Layout is king, as is having enough seat belts for the kids. This is what we looked for .
Though we started off with a 15 k budget then blew it. Lots of smelly old sheds about , at a premium.
Plenty room to lounge about in and have your own space if the weather is bad outside. Preferably one that's winterised if you want to use it all year round. Smart modern , clean interior with a big Fridge freezer, cookerhob and grill. Webasto deisel heating, Seperate shower cubicle that's big enough to bend down and pick the soap up in . Huge king size over cab bed, and two bunks . So if there's four of you , no bed making. Cab seats that swivel round Into the lounge . To make a nice family space.
We found it in the CI mizar GTL living top class. Plus we got it right first time. A rarity seemingly.
They don't make them anymore. Ours is a 2006 model . They changed the layout after that year and the build of the interior was lightened up. Not as solid. Not as much lounge space.

Depending on your budget you may be interested in ours as she's up for sale soon. Refoamed and Reupholstered in a modern fabric. 4 new Michelin agilis Camping tyres , new cambelt , new breaks all for our recent New Years trip to Scotland. 30k on the clock. Loads of Other added extras ...... Solar, b2b monitor, fiamma awning , bike rack etcetcetc
We are downsizing ( lots) as the kids have grown and no longer come with us. We want to get to more out of the way places so are going down the panel van conversion route. Once she's had a hab check and full service she will be up for sale. 25k Ono
PM us if your interested.
Thanks for the advice I love your motorhome but it is way above our budget.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thanks for the advice I love your motorhome but it is way above our budget.

No problem . We started off with a 15 k budget. But as we'd had really nice caravans , what we were viewing came nowhere near what we wanted. We felt like we were taking a backward step. We were same age as you were , well Ralph was. I was a bit older. :blush:
I ended up using my isa to up the budget. Best thing we ever did. Had loads of quality family time in her. End of an era. But she will suit a family , or a couple wanting more room. Beds for grandkids.
Remember to look at as many as you can. Lay down , sit on the loo, stand and bend in the shower. Imagine all of you being in there on cold wet days .AND Most of all you can't smell a picture:rofl:

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Anth 79.
Welcome. This is a fantastic forum for info'. It's second to none!

Safety of the kids is the first thing to think of. Some Motorhomes are advertised as 4 berth but only have seat belts for the driver and passenger seats.

Next, don't be swayed by that shiny exterior. Check the MH out throughly and check particularly for any water ingress leading to damp. Don't touch anything with 'spongy' feeling wall boards, a damp smell, or any hidden mould.

Above all, don't part with any money for motorhomes that sound ridiculously cheap. There are lots on online scams.

Ask on here before you leap! There are often Funsters who live close who will give you a helping hand, or who will send advice via these pages.

You have many, many adventures ahead. The kids will love it and will remember it when they're 40!

Good luck
James

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Can't really add much to the above.

Check there are travelling seats with seatbelts for all passengers.

Check the payload - you will almost certainly need a motorhome with MAM (maximum authorised mass - what the whole shooting match weighs fully laden including all people) in excess of 3,500 kg. Over 3,500kg you will need a C1 on your driving license so check that as well.

Always be careful when buying, lots of scams out there. Never ever part with a single penny until you see the motorhome and check out that it is legitimate - that the person claiming to be the owner actually is the owner - the V5 matches the vehicle, all the usual checks. Again as said above there will be someone local who can look at van either with you or on your behalf to tell you if it is worth travelling to see it.

And most of all, have fun looking.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Can I add, as well as travelling seats, test drive with the kids in the back and get them to tell you about noise levels and ride comfort. Nothing worse than a child being car sick back there and you can't hear them calling for you because of the noisy body..

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and welcome to Fun(y)

We wish we'd got all this good advice "before" we bought our first van:) Take your time and see as many vans as you can, as Ralph-and-Bev said, try lying down on the bed, check out the loo space and shower, is there enough space for all the usual "activities" in the loo?:LOL:
I now know that men need less space in the loo than women do:whistle:

Take your time choosing and see as many van layouts as you can before taking the plunge(y)

Margaret

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi and welcome,

Looking is so much fun :)

When we were looking, the layout of some the motorhomes were lovely. But we realised that the passenger seats on some of them are right at the back with a rear loung. Not sure i would feel comfortable with younger kids being that far back. I definatley wouldn't hear them!

Ours are seperated by the table and it can be difficult to hear, but at least i can turn round and speak to them.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
:welc: Hi, we hired before deciding that it was a good idea to purchase. We also decided we wanted a rear lounge but settled on a front lounge with two bench seats because we think it will suit us better. I guess what I am trying to say is be patient and take your time and if you haven't hired perhaps trying different configurations first may help you out. Some dealers that offer hires will refund the hire price if you buy from them within a certain period afterwards.

Good Luck

Steve

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi Anth79
Welcome!
I joined last year and have just got my first MH after doing some serious homework on what my wish list was and it paid off.
I found that looking on the web was good fun, but looking at the MH's in the flesh was a real let down.
It was either advertised as being in A1 condition at a dealer and turned out to be a real pig or the private seller was economical with the truth. Not everyone are like this though!
So my advice would be to draw up your wish list, decide on size and layout, go look at some or go to a show and sit in some and then do your homework. If it's a private sale, check out what the sellers put on Facebook - it's amazing what life stories people tell on there - I found out that the van I was looking at had gearbox and clutch repairs in Germany whilst they were on holiday, only for the seller to say that he's never had any issues with the clutch or gearbox!
Then, when you have settled on your van - get it HPI'd if it's a private sale. Another van advertised on eBay that I was about to part with my cash wasn't owned by the seller for her to sell!
So yes, looking is fun!
But finally owning one is even better!
Good luck

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back