First Motorhome - Thoughts and Advice Appreciated (1 Viewer)

KKB

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
North of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

Having written a post earlier to introduce myself, wishing you all a happy Burns Day, I thought that I would ask for your thoughts and advice before partaking of a wee dram (whilst I can still hopefully make sense)!!

A complete newbie to motorhoming but have camped in the UK for many years. Time to move from a tent to something a bit more luxurious. Having done a fair bit of research on-line I think it fair to say that I have grasped the fact that the 3 most important things are layout, layout and layout! With that in mind I think the Hymer B544, with the 2 bench sofas, fits the bill for us. Going to be just the 2 of us for the majority of the time but would like a decent lounge area and the ability to carry/sleep 4 in total.

For the first couple of years I expect to use the motorhome in the UK, mainly Scotland but will venture further South at times as well, and use it all year round. Going to be away for a maximum of 3-4 weeks at a time but mainly weekends. In a couple of years I do plan to head off to Europe and escape the worst of the winter weather here. Will be looking at 2-3 months away at a time then. My good lady wife is keen to share in the driving but not if it is too big. The 544 seems ideal at just over 6 metres. I hope to spend no more than £25K but would stretch beyond that for the right van. Also happy, (surprise, surprise), to spend a lot less than that on a quality older van. I think I would have to go for a 2001 onwards to get the double floor and JTD engine.

I have seen the 544 for sale by Wizza and it looks a solid van and a good buy. The 524 for sale by Titley looks a nice van as well but perhaps the lounge is a bit small for us. Not sure.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Is there any other motorhome that we should be looking at? Is anyone trading up and looking to sell my dream motorhome?

Is there a big difference between the double floored and single floored Hymers in terms of warmth? I do like to be warm and the motorhome will be used in winter.

Are there any issues with insurance for an old motorhome? Is there a cut off in terms of beyond 15 years or 20 years etc.

What do funsters think of the 524 vice 544?

Thanks for sticking with my post. I look forward to reading any thoughts and advice you have to offer.

Now where did I put that bottle?!!(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi and welcome.
Make sure you have enough seat belts for the number of passengers you are likely to carry followed by beds. Not the other way round as there are many four/six berths out there with only two seat belts.(y)
Double floors are better insulated than single floors and all the pipe work runs inside, better for winter touring.:D
We went for twin side bunks so we have plenty of lounging room, this was after being sure we wanted a fixed bed (n)
The search if part of the fun, good luck.(y)

Edit. Insurance is a post code lottery but depending how far oop norf in Jocklandshire you should be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Sorry pressed the post reply a bit quick wanted to say payload layout garage size you can never have enough payload always buying bits and pieces good luck with your search

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The 544 is a good vehicle , not too long 6meters so no problems on the Scotish Roads, good build quality, you should find a good one under your budget, the othe thing buying any van, check for damp.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good sized toilet that you can sit down without banging your knees or have to open the door to pull your trousers up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KKB

KKB

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
North of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a wee update on my situation. Dead excited, and a wee bit nervous if I'm honest, as I now own my first mh. Flew South over the weekend and bought a Hymer B544 (the one that Wizza had for sale on here) and made the longer drive North through the snow in Scotland. A baptism of fire having never driven a LH drive vehicle in the UK before!! Safely home in one piece though. Really chuffed with the van, I think the layout will work well for us and there is lots of fun to be had over the next few years. It will hopefully allow us to make all our big mistakes and gain some experience, mainly in the UK, before opting for a newer model when "she who must be obeyed" retires. Stand by for some really noddy questions as our adventure begins. Wizza was very patient with me and knew his van inside out. He and his wife were genuine, lovely people and it was a pleasure doing business with them. If all the funsters I meet in the future are as nice I'll be well happy. Off to practice my reversing and work out the turning circle of the van in a big, open yard. What could possibly go wrong?!!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Following three american RVs , the last one a twin slideout Four Winds Siesta at 29' long we had to downsize due to licence restriction.
We have had for the last few months had a 2003 B544 Hymer with 30k on the clock, quality build, brilliant motorhome ,so good that we are trading it in for a new one B544, collecting next week.
Useful lounge space with room to put feet up which is missing in many eurovans.
For our purposes , perfect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: KKB
Upvote 0

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Thanks kkb glad you got home safely we was worried about the distance you had to travel and the weather not helping.Hope you have as much fun as we have over the years.You can email ,text or ring me. If you have any questions you need to know just get in touch on post on fun I am sure there wil be lots of help thanks again Wizza

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
If that layout works for you then great. I would just say that if you find it doesn't don't persevere - change the MH. We thought we had done all the research, thought about all our needs etc when we first bought last June. By October we had changed the MH!

This MH will show you that you have either found what you want or it will focus you to what you want next time. Its all good.

We didn't lose any money trading in after 3 months and now have our ideal layout, so don't fret on your decision too much!

Jen

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have had a B544SL from new since 2007. Have never had any problems with it from day one and the layout is very convenient. In fact I have been looking at other layouts recently and can't find a better one so I am sticking with it.

You might find it easier if you fit a twin lens rear view camera, one for reversing and the other for long distance rear view, I have found the setup invaluable .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to the forum, I have a B584, 56 plate and I like it a lot, second one in fact so feel free to mail me anytime should you have an questions.
Was a Nimrod 'sooty' myself many years ago, 236 OCU and then 42 Squadron at St Mawgan.
Enjoy your van.

Norman.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back