First motorhome - buying a friends a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Emily

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I'm a complete newbie to motorhomes but we are looking to buy one to follow my husband around the country doing his hobbies. We have two dogs, no children, but would want the flexibility to take two more passengers. It is likely to be used around 2 or 3 weekends a month, 8 months of the year. with the potential for longer trips around Europe.

A friend of my husbands has offered to sell us his old motorhome. It's a burster a647. Around 20,000 miles. 55 reg. He has offered it to us for £21k. We don't know if this is a good deal or not, I can't find many for sale on the Internet. He was the second owner.

I think because it is so big I would likely need to take a test to get a c1 added to my licence but my husband would be fine. Any idea how easy these are to pass/recommendations for schools I could do over weekends?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can't answer your questions but ............
welcome animated smiley.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Emily,
See http://www.gocaravanning.com/motorhome-specifications/model/burstner-a647_162.html for a few details. Looks like it is a 4000Kg model so you will need a C1 licence. I've seen something recently that it costs about £1k to get this, assuming you pass 1st time - but I've not had to do this myself so I cannot be sure this is correct.
Note that most people make a mistake when they buy their first motorhome in that they get the incorrect layout - so think through very carefully whether the Burstner layout suits you. Think about each part of the day and how the layout would work for you. Everyone has different ideas so there is no BEST layout, just one that is the best for you personally.

Upvote 0

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
My brother has been buying and selling cars for decades.
His rule no. 1
Never buy or sell a car to someone you know.
Having said that, he sold me a classic Rover....complete pile of shit.
Must be a family thing?(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Only you know the bond/friendship.
I bought a Mk3 Land Rover,from a mate who was night foreman and good fitter,of a quarry garage,whenever i went in (Night hawking...LOL) it was in the warm and dry,and having little bits done here and there,so,i thought,up to scratch ?
NO! It would have failed an MOT on the spot!
First check out.."Juddergate problem" I know nothing about this,but someone on here will advise if this model was liable to suffer this
So,depending on how far you can go,with out spoiling the friendship,might i suggest you ask them...Nicely. If you paid for a "Habitation check" and nothing untoward flags up ,will this money paid out,be knocked off the price ?
The "Oily bits" are not a problem,only the cam belt if fitted,this HAS to be changed at "X miles,or ...Five..years".
Bargaining..
Could be,if he is approaching 70 yrs,he/they,may not be able to pass the medical for above 3.5 ton. "SOME DEALERS"...(Note!) can spot a person downsizing,either bald or grey,and rub their hands with glee .
Best of luck,i do wish you and your friends continue to be just that,wether you buy or not.
Tea Bag

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I once bought a car from a frend twenty years ago.
Our franship was never the same agane as he ripped me off my no 1 rule never sell or buy from family and friends
Bill

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No, never buy or sell anything to a friend. Although, you friend may be accommodating and allow you to borrow the van for a weekend. Then you'll know if that is the van for you.
I have lent ours out to VERY good friends! You never know until you ask! :D

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Emily and a big :welcome3:,you have two dilemma's here.To buy from a friend,possibly could be OK or ruin the friendship goes wrong.
The other is do you really want this van so much that you are prepared to take another test to get it.
As you say you are a novice why not hire for a trip and see how it goes,your friends van could still be available on your return.
Perhaps if a good friend and you are determined you could give an undated,unsigned deposit cheque to hold it for when you make up your mind for sure.Good luck,life is full of decisions!!

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
A saying that I adhere to:

You can be friends with the people you do business with but you can't do business with your friends. (y)

There are lots of MHs for sale out there, go and look at loads then decide on the layout (but don't take too long about it or you'll be missing out on all the fun). There are also many people who got it right first time and are very happy with the layout they have.

Welcome and best of luck.

KH

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back