first French trip (1 Viewer)

Jobur

Free Member
Sep 7, 2010
Funster No
Hi,

I am going on my first camper trip to France next week. We are planning to go from Brittany down the coast to la Rochelle. We would like to spend a night near a vinyard or chateau around the Loire on the way back.

I have a VW Transporter, so no shower or toilet.

I would love to hear any suggestions of nice places to stop or visit on the way. Do any of the Aires have showers, toilets? Would campsites be better for us?

All recomendations welcome.

Thanks all!

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
We did our first trip to France last week, and my limited experience of aires is that you might be lucky to get a toilet close by, but not likely to get a shower.

If you get the "all the aires in France" book it gives you details of the facilities at each of the listed aires, but I would guess camp sites might be better for you.

David

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi,

I am going on my first camper trip to France next week. We are planning to go from Brittany down the coast to la Rochelle. We would like to spend a night near a vinyard or chateau around the Loire on the way back.

I have a VW Transporter, so no shower or toilet.

I would love to hear any suggestions of nice places to stop or visit on the way. Do any of the Aires have showers, toilets? Would campsites be better for us?

Thanks all!

How long are you going for because there are so many nice places to stop and visit that you may not get to La Rochelle and back in the time that you have alloted.

Somebody else may know but showers are a rarerity on aires, as said you can always find a loo but not at 2am in the morning.:whatthe:

Resort to the Sainsbury's bag :winky:

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
. Do any of the Aires have showers, toilets? Would campsites be better for us?

Thanks all!

Aires generally have no toilet or shower facilities, that said, many are close to public toilets .. but showers are very rare and usually al fresco .. not good in winter :roflmto:

No use on this trip but for future reference, the aire at Stenay has showers, toilets and laundry facilities.. shared with the canal marina.

Your best / cheapest bet are Municipal Sites which are reasonably cheap and usually have decent facilities.

Most towns have a municipal site, the local tourist information office will advise.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Depends on the time you have. Take a look at our blog - we've done the areas you mention although on two separate trips.

Bon voyage and have a great time!:thumb:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Alot of the motorway services have showers,toll and free motorways.Not used them myself but nearly every service staition i have stopped at on motorways abroad has had them.
dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Your best / cheapest bet are Municipal Sites which are reasonably cheap and usually have decent facilities.

Most towns have a municipal site, the local tourist information office will advise.
Hi Jobur,

I agree with Jim, but make sure you have your own sink plug, bar of soap, and bum paper. :ROFLMAO:

By all means stop off at an Autoroute Aire for a shower in the daytime, but for your own personal security, do not overnight on them. Get into the towns and village Aires for a secure and peaceful night's sleep.

HTH,

Jock.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Buy a porta poti /loo for the camper then you can use Aires. Go on a municipal every few days for a proper shower. Most Aires are free so you will save the price of the loo in a few days. Villandry Chateux on the Loire is lovely (well the gardens are) you can camp overnight on the road outside but along the Loire Levy nearby there are loads of great wild spots right on the river.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back