First continental trip

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by steveclecy, May 12, 2010.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Well, here we are, setting off Saturday morning from NW England to catch the 1830 Dover-Calais SeaFrance crossing.

Euros bought, Saga Platinum Credit Card ready to go. Small document case with two passports, one pet passport, two driving licences, one insurance certificate, one MOT, one Registration Document, Ferry Tickets (reference anyway), breakdown insurance.
    Plenty of gas, ACSI Camping Card book ready, card signed, all French sites loaded onto SatNav as POIs.

Been planning this for months and months, but still got that uncomfortable feeling something is forgotten.

Watching the weather on Meteo.fr with a little disappointment, surely it will brighten up soon?

Hope to arrive early enough at Western Docks to be bumped up to an earlier crossing. Wonder what our chances are on a Saturday?

Pleased with price of Channel Crossing but have been watching the Forum for concerns about the viability of SeaFrance. Will be well hacked off if they go to the wall now!

Guess the mad rush to return the grounded flyers a few weeks ago may have increased their profitability.

I am sure the 16 days will be over in a flash.

Steve

2. don

don Read Only Funster

We have used sea france quite a few times using a carnet ticket, very pleased with the total package.:Smile:

3. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

don't forget to enjoy it all, we love it in France (see below).

4. warwick

warwick Read Only Funster

Have you got your Yellow High Viz Vests, set spare bulbs, warning triangle, beam benders (I must admit I don`t always bother with thses or just carry them) Health Cards - not vital.
    Take your vans keycard if you have one.
    Have a good trip!

5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Steve ...we are setting off from pas de Calais Sunday /Monday to go around Brittany for 4 weeks... starting in southern Brittany working around to the northern parts of Brittany then back into Normandy and home.......so if that is on your route look out for us and say Hello.

Just come back two weeks ago from 3 weeks in the mid France going east into Rhone-alps then back home...it was hot weather so hoping for some more good weather.

Mel:thumb:

6. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Don't forget to copy every document and keep them seperate just in case. Another good tip is to scan them into your puter then e-mail them to yourself. This will allow you to go to an internet cafe and retrieve them in the case of an emergency.

Above all have fun.:thumb:

We are going under on Friday on noon train, metz, lzern then Lake Garda. Hope the weather bucks up or we may have to change our destination.

7. steveclecy

Good point,Warwick!

Have everything you listed except beam benders - which we really should have bought but never mind.

Although this is our first Motorhome trip to France, we are fairly well seasoned motorists in France and (tempting Providence) have never been pulled up for any reason.

Steve

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

You are going to buy and fit the beam benders aren't you?

9. drs

drs Read Only Funster

Get your beam benders fitted there are reports that the French police will pull you over if there not fitted even during the day.

10. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Great tip, emailing them...thanks never thought of that. :thumb:

11. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Word off advice> DON'T carry all your documents in one case!! If it is stolen (as happened to a friend whilst at a service station in Spain) you will have lost everything!! good luck and enjoy the trip!

12. steveclecy

Picked up MH from storage facility on my way home from work today. Caught a quick glance of myself in the mirror - some chap there wearing a tie! That was a first. Quickly removed (along with other work-wear) when I got home, and now in full holiday mood!

Felt guilty about the beam adjusters so bought a set from Halfords this morning. Will hopefully fit whilst in the ferry queue tomorrow. Looks liks a good profit margin to me, though. Still, following sound advice from others, I would have really been angry with myself had I incurred the wrath of the Gendarmerie.

Hopefully, with a little bit of WiFi I will report our progress.

Steve

13. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Dont bother. Just drive around always between 12 and 3pm. Everyone in France including the cops is at lunch for hours. We saw some the other day at a Market buying a stack of chinese food which they took back to the police station, no doubt for a three hour feast and a snooze.

14. Big Momma

Big Momma Read Only Funster

There is usually a shop at the ferry terminals where you can buy the emergency kit you may have overlooked (High Vis vests, spare bulb kits, warning triangles (2 required), beam benders etc.

If you use 'Pay as you Go' mobiles top up before you go.

Just enjoy :thumb:

15. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

gendarmes fine you for not having beam benders even during the day ?

please explain how the gendarmerie are going to ascertain whether or not you need them if it is daylight ?

many modern vehicles now have flat topped beams , no beam benders necessary !

16. allie sommerville

allie sommerville Read Only Funster

We've done many a trip without bending our beams :BigGrin:

17. drs

drs Read Only Funster

Really can't remember where I read it just remember it from somewhere.

18. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

my granny told me not to believe anything you read , and only half of what you see !

she must have caught me with the daily mail !

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Yes they are most insurance companies condition of insurance is that you have one.

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

must say some must have lots to spend .have never had health insurance for abroad d1 11now health card yes. probably couldnt go away if i had to get ins for 6mths trips.
    as for beam benders never had any of them either .have got some yellow stuff to put on your lenses never used either. if stopped stick abit of black tape on ,then remove as soon as possible if you have plastic lenses.
    do carry lots reflective vests get em from builders .triangles two of.
    fire extinguishers yes.
    first aid kit ok if you know what to do.
    durex always good for carrying water ,ha ha or beer .