"First Aiders"... Do we have any ????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just a thought............. As a lot of us are getting on a bit, and you never know what is waiting round the corner...

In view of how big some of the Rally`s & Meet`s are getting..

Would any "Trained first aiders" be willing to display and offer their services should the need arise.

I have the chance of a half a dozen (6) or so of the sign`s below.... they are sticky backed vinyl and would need sticking onto an appropriate board with a wooden spike.... (The same as This spot is reserved type thing)..

To be displayed outside your vehicle if you are trained and can offer any help...

A lot of members would not know who to turn to should the occasion arise..

Just a thought...

[​IMG]

The signs are approx 6 inches square, and as said sticky backed, just peel the back off and affix to an appropriate board..

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I'm "airline' first responder trained but as yet haven't been to any rallies o_O.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I used to be but lost it when retired....I always carry a saw so can lop of limbs if necessary. You will need to provide the anesthetic of your choice...I prefer whisky. I will need a half bottle as a bit rusty there days..

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Both myself and wifey are trained first aiders, however, both of us have rescinded that status due to the litigious society that we live in! Namely that should a trained first aider, who is in possession of a current certification, fail to do something, then they can be sued! This doesn't mean we wouldn't administer first aid to someone in need. We do carry first aid equipment in the van at all times.
    A sad indictment of the times we live in :-(

• Like Like x 16
  5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I wonder if at the bigger longer rallies there might be an opportunity to have a basic first aid or CPR session organised?
    If there was interest?

Thing is about first aid, not cut fingers, is that you really can't do any harm but without intervention the causality might die.

It's not about certification, its about confidence.
    Stop the bleeding, immobilise a fracture, keep a heart pumping until the emergency services arrive.

• Like Like x 7
  6. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Same as

• Like Like x 3
  7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Me too, when I had to finish with the Fire Service, and subsequent employers weren't interested in renewing my certificate and having an experienced First Aider on board. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

For various reason over the years I have been on a good number of first aid courses and refreshers, but like Daniel I am always concerned about the risk of litigation. For this reason I would not act as a formal first aider but would help if my skills were needed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

another here that used to be a certified first aider. let it lapse a few years back. still willing to help in an emergency though

• Like Like x 2
  10. JFD

JFD Funster

Trouble is, First Aid qualifications seem to go out of date so quickly, and techniques change frequently!!

When I used to have many of the neighbourhood kids around ( the pool was a magnet!)' I used to insist on a responsible adult attending with offspring, but it turned out that I was the only qualified First Aider, which was not a good situation!

A quick call to the St John guys resulted in a free (but contributions welcomed) first aid couse (just a couple of hours) for all and sundry, held at my place. Perhaps you could arrange such at the beginning of your rally, to help keep folk up to date and 'raring to go', and avoid the need for identified First Aiders?

• Like Like x 6
  11. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I've found there don't seem to be as many first aid courses available as there used to be. Sitting in the chiropractors today I spotted a leaflet for a first aid on children day course which I thought might be useful. But the courses at local colleges don't seem to be there any more.
    Although I think in an emergency anyone with training would do their best to help, nothing is as good as an up to date refresher course . I just happened to do the best course I'd ever attended ( had to for work) just before I went to Africa for 4 months research/ work. So glad I did.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Just completed a 12 hour first aid course but mainly for babies and children !

• Like Like x 3
  13. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I'm a first aider .
    I think there are very few examples of this in this country.

14. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

That's a really good idea. If someone suffers a cardiac arrest, waiting for an ambulance to arrive is no good - it will be too late. The unfortunate person needs CPR straight away. Compared to years ago many more people have a good idea of whats involved in giving CPR but more people need to be trained.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  15. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Mo I wondered if camperfest have to have a first Aider on hand because they are organising the event? Although won't help if there is a crisis at night.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

I did a pool lifeguard course about twenty five years ago. So of your near a puddle at a rally I might remember how to get you out. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

If it was life or death i think people would help

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

As I understand it from when I did 1st aid. If you do a 1st aid course through your employer for work your then covered by employers insurance whilst at work for doing 1st aid. If your at a rally or school fete this is seen as another business and your not covered for being a named 1st aide there. If you was driving in your car and saw a need to do 1st aid your ok as your not linked business wise, like wise if out for a walk etc. If you training was with St. John's and up to date they will back you as long as it's not for business only as a member of the public.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Bit of an urban myth this one, nobody has ever had a claim brought against them.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Zoppydog

Zoppydog Funster

Both of us were NHS qualified practitioners so happy to display a sign.
    We will be at Chester and York
    Chris and Tony

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1