Firestone Air Ride assister "springs" (2 Viewers)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

I am in need of some clarification, Has anyone got Firestone "Air-Ride" rear spring assisters fitted? I am looking at the downloaded pdf of the fitting and the units appear to be fitted Ahead (in front) of the axle. can anyone confirm this? I had assumed that they fitted between the axle and frame, this would mean the removal of the "bump-stop" and that means removal of the rear wheels!!! as the tyres foul the spanner. IF however they ARE in front of the axle then they will be an "easy"(er) if awkward fit.

Thanks

Pete

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

I have Airride fitted and they go where the bump stops are - were. Best thing ever - apart from Solar and gaslow oh and Sat dish :ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi
I am in need of some clarification, Has anyone got Firestone "Air-Ride" rear spring assisters fitted? I am looking at the downloaded pdf of the fitting and the units appear to be fitted Ahead (in front) of the axle. can anyone confirm this? I had assumed that they fitted between the axle and frame, this would mean the removal of the "bump-stop" and that means removal of the rear wheels!!! as the tyres foul the spanner. IF however they ARE in front of the axle then they will be an "easy"(er) if awkward fit.
Thanks
Pete

They fit ABOVE the axle and yes, you DO have to remove the bump stop.
NOTE ALSO- (This was not known by AirRide according to my phone conversation with them!)
On the Later P32 Chevy chassis (and yes it does exist no matter what some say!) you MAY find that there is an extra strengthening member welded to the chassis RIGHT where you dont want it! :Doh:
On my '99 Georgieboy Landau 3301, this required cutting.

Now, before we all start panicking, and at the risk of blowing my own trumpet! :Blush: can I just say that as an Aircraft design engineer of 25 years experience, I have more stress analysis experience than MOST people and I checked CAREFULLY what I had to do.:thumb:

Imagine the chassis as a "C" section with the open end facing inboard.......right?
The strengthening member looks like an upsidedown "L" section welded to the outbourd face of the main chassis rail, with the short leg of the "L" runing underneath the bottom of the "C" section chassis rail with an (approx) 3/8" gap between the two.
It is this (not the main chassis rail) which had to be blended around the airbag giving a minimum 1/2" clearance on the inflated bag. This meant I had to cut out about 1" of the lower flange and blend it using 3" to 4" rads.
If you're gonna cut it, NEVER leave a sharp inside corner as this will lead to a stress concentration in the corner of the cut and possibly lead to cracking. ALWAYS cut a smooth radius.

H.T.H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Air ride(s)

Hi

My chassis is Spartan (Pusher) and there are no Stiffeners in the way. the "bump" stops are directly over the (round) axle. (the pdf seems to show the lower (air) spring support attached to the spring leaf(s)) which is what is causing consternation, in that, it is in front of, and clear of the axle?.

Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

My chassis is Spartan (Pusher) and there are no Stiffeners in the way. the "bump" stops are directly over the (round) axle. (the pdf seems to show the lower (air) spring support attached to the spring leaf(s)) which is what is causing consternation, in that, it is in front of, and clear of the axle?.

Pete

Hi Pete

Mine is a Spartan pusher chassis with Granning Air ride, as I recall the bags are on top of the axles above the leaf springs, I'll have look tomorrow to confirm, pic if required ..

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Air Ride (2)

Hi Jim

The chances are your chassis is the "mountain master" which has air suspension units.
I`m afraid mine is the "bog standard" leaf spring job!! with 16 year old "saggy" springs!. hence the "requirement" for a bit of a lift!

I started out thinking it was "overloaded" at the rear but the weighbridge says otherwise. but with a big G-M lump and Gearbox behind the rear axle then its not surprising that after 16 years it`s getting a bit tired. and as it was never fitted with "jacks" then the springs have had all the load ALL the time.

I have drawings of the chassis but the wheels obscure the spring setup. so thats not a lot of help either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back