Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I've been an AOL user now for about 15 years, and have always had an immediate connection whenever I needed it, but it was oft times a wee bit slow, especially in the evenings when the world and his wife are on line, and sharing the exchange.

To cut a long story short, I threw a cup of coffee over my laptop keyboard last week, and whilst it seemed nothing had happened, on Monday, the computer failed to start:cry:

It wouldn't boot beyond the first rumble of the hard drive starting.

I took it to pieces, cleaned and drie what I could, and then played a hairdrier over it for an hour or so, until I could see no moisture.

I booted it up, and put it into safe mode, and found that the entire software suite, and all files were corrupted. I had no alternative but to do a factory re-install. Took best part of a day, but finally, Windoze started, and all seemed tickety boo.

I wanted to download some support programmes, but I don't like IE, and didn't have the latest AOL software disc, so I decided to try Mozilla Firefox.

What a revelation. Fast, smooth, infinitely customiseable, full of features, very stable, and it handles my AOL e-Mail account better than AOL:Eeek:

It loads and displays about 10 times faster than AOL, and it's mail file handling is far superior.

I highly recommended it to anybody. It's free, consumes little resources, is intuitive, and lightning fast.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Another convert! :thumb:

Welcome to the community of stress free surfers!

They all learn in the end....... I did!!!:whatthe:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Yep converted to Firefox about a year ago, I agree it is indeed very good.:thumb: MS IE watch out. I also started to use Thunderbird recently instead of Outlook also very good :thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Welcome to Mozilla! Firefox and Thunderbird are great, they do what you want, not what Microsoft think you want.

Bill

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
now you can pimp it :Smile: click Tools then addons,where is says Gett Addons to the left you will see Browse AllAddons doulbel click it,it should take you to the addon page there is loads of themes in there to use :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Although I love Firefox,I tend to use Cometbird for all my mobile surfing.

A slicker version of Firefox and works better and faster for me on the lappy.:Cool:

IE is so bloated and cumbersome now I haven't used it in a long time.

Loaded it a little while ago to see whether the developers of IE8 had taken heed of all the complaints and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:Eeek::Doh:

Firefox and Cometbird for me too.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: I have been using Firefox for a long time and decided to upgrade to the lastest version about 6 weeks ago. CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH.

To CUT a VERY LONG STORY short. I am looking to downgrade. I DO KNOW that some add-ons can cause problems. But I had NOT problems with Firefox 2. Yesterday there must have been 40 crashes, just when I was trying to do something IMPORTANT. IE8 is a waste of space. Google cannot utilise my OnSpeed, so only use it when OnSpeed is not required. Roll on the next version of Firefox. I understand that Firefox 3 Portable works. I might have a go at that. :thumb:

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I have an old Pentium III 450 Mhz laptop with only 192MB RAM (at its max). It's fine for my basic needs. But IE use was dreadful. I looked at Firefox but their newer versions outspec'ed my old laptop and I couldn't find a way to get the previous versions. So I found Opera and downloaded it. Now browsing is a dream again...even with only 192MB of RAM!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Sad: I have been using Firefox for a long time and decided to upgrade to the lastest version about 6 weeks ago. CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH,CRASH.

Hi John

same problem, I started a thread about it

Link Removed

Disabling AVG safe search seems to have cured it .. it's a known problem .

Firefox crashes due to AVG SafeSearch

hth

jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not upgraded yet, but I don't use AVG so I will give it a go. Firefox rocks:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John

same problem, I started a thread about it

Link Removed

Disabling AVG safe search seems to have cured it .. it's a known problem .

Firefox crashes due to AVG SafeSearch

hth

jim

:Smile: Thanks Jim. I did go through all those a AVG problems. It's just DAMNED annoying. I was very happy with 2 and I knew that 3 had a problem at the time with OnSpeed which I use over here in Spain. They then had a fix for that problem, so I updated to 3. Sometimes it is OK, sometimes NOT. IE8 and Firefox are the only 2 browsers that allow OnSpeed to work with them. IE8 works 1 out of a 100 since I updated to IE8.
Why do I need to use OnSpeed when I have Wifi on camp? Because it fools some TV channels that I am still in the UK. It allows me to catch up on things I want to see or cannot view any other way. :thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I have a problem with Firefox, sometimes the text on some web sites is tiny and I have to go to view and zoom to see it, any suggestions?

Ralph

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
And then, of course, you can graduate to Safari. Mmmmm

Cheers Graham

I looked at Safari some time ago now abd just couldn't get on with it.

I'll take another look.In fact I'm downloading it right now.......::bigsmile:

Always looking for alternatives.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a problem with Firefox, sometimes the text on some web sites is tiny and I have to go to view and zoom to see it, any suggestions?

Ralph

Hi Ralph, Tools> Options> Content Then you can choose the default font size

Hope this helps.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers 6pm Cowboy (Graham)

Thanks for the redirection back to safari browser.

LOVE the "wonderwall" view.

I could just get back to using it again.

Slick and smart and works for me.:Cool:

Just goes to show it pays to keep thinking "outside of the box"::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back