FINED for parking in Paderne (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I posted in another thread, we were done for parking in villamoura, not in a mh but a hire car, and we got a form in Portuguese and on the top it was 150 to 300 euros, and a list of places to pay, so we went to the post office expecting the worse, but found out of the lady that if you pay within the time printed on the ticket you only have to pay a complete days charge, which turned out to be 8 euros, we had three days to pay, and luckily we were in the time but she said they were very strict on the other fines which keep rising the longer you leave it.
I know this is not you asked but a bit of an insight into their parking fines.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just another thought on this ... if there was NO ticket on your vehicle and the police did NOT tell you you were in contravention of something then this may give you a 'get out' clause anyway - surely they should have given you something there and then to alert you to the fact that you were doing something wrong. It may be that they are trying it on by not issuing a ticket at the time so they can ask for a larger sum later as the fine "hasn't been paid within a few days at the lower rate".

I'd try writing and telling them that you were NOT informed by the police at the time of the 'alleged offence' and no ticket was issued at that time.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
"as far as i recall,thats a cycle helmet mam,and i think its parked inside the line.
I at this stage appreciate any help-are you sure there are no "no motorhome " signs?
thanks"

As far as I can recall - there were no 'No Motorhome' signs. Have looked back through my holiday snaps and we had plenty of Paderne, with no signs showing. I am a bit twitchy about wild camping and would not park if there had been signs, no matter how many other vans were there, believe me it was rammed.

Have just checked the camper contact app (as this is how we found out about it) and it has been removed.

I think you have been very unlucky that on that day and time when you were there a policeman happened along that had his jobsworth hat on. I freely admit that if he had come along on the days that we were there he would of made a killing, as the place was packed.

Sorry not to be of much help but that is as definite as I can be,
There is indeed a no camping sign . Check on the right just as you enter the parking from the village. Just beside the tree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think there is more to this than meets the eye, first off where was the op when the photo was took he couldn't have been far away as the door was open, his stuff was lying outside and bikes parked behind, he says he doesn't speak Portuguese, did the police talk good English, or how did he know what they were telling him, why wait all this time to start complaining after he's been in touch with a Portuguese lawyer, afraid it doesn't add up to me, sorry if I have it wrong, but just how it looks to me.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think there is more to this than meets the eye, first off where was the op when the photo was took he couldn't have been far away as the door was open, his stuff was lying outside and bikes parked behind, he says he doesn't speak Portuguese, did the police talk good English, or how did he know what they were telling him, why wait all this time to start complaining after he's been in touch with a Portuguese lawyer, afraid it doesn't add up to me, sorry if I have it wrong, but just how it looks to me.

sounds more like he was done for camping not parking maybe?

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
When we stayed with Pedro we often walked by there , we found it always to full of motorhomes never saw a UK number plate . However speaking to a Dutch couple they had been there for a couple of months . We and others thought that the place was too small for the amount of vans squeezed on there even if it was free. As someone here said the spot has been removed from camper contact ,perhaps the reason was just too many vans 6 would be enough.
Hope you get sorted but as John said don't let it ruin your life !
Regards Dave &June dotsontour

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Yes, the OP did state the police spoke good english Chaser :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You wouldn't have expected this parking to cost me £40 - in Great Yarmouth.
They said it was dangerous to other users of the car park. You can see it was packed!

25092013110.jpg

25092013108.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You wouldn't have expected this parking to cost me £40 - in Great Yarmouth.
They said it was dangerous to other users of the car park. You can see it was packed!

Probably because you are overhanging the pedestrian walkway and could possibly be a nuisance to someone in a wheelchair or pushchair / buggy, especially a twin buggy. Might have been more acceptable had you had a letter telling you not to do it again but "rules is rules" I suppose.......

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Probably because you are overhanging the pedestrian walkway and could possibly be a nuisance to someone in a wheelchair or pushchair / buggy, especially a twin buggy. Might have been more acceptable had you had a letter telling you not to do it again but "rules is rules" I suppose.......

It looks bad but there was no where else to back over, you can also see how wide the walk way is. There seem to be almost more marked out foot paths than car park.
I'd tried to park in the coach park but was not allowed.
I had checked all the car parks along the front and they all have height barriers. (this was in 2013)
As the car park was massive and empty I thought this was the best alternative.
In reply to my letter of complaint they said I could park on many of the streets!
There was me thinking I'd best not cause an obstruction on the narrow streets.
In future I'm going to be less considerate and Great Yarmouth can shove it, its not even very nice.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Isn't the walkway in front of the van?

.........at least all 4 wheels are inside the 'box'(y)(y)

might be 'illegal' but .... an almost empty car park.......... unreasonable

Deleted User
As they say in the UK "rules is rules"

They made £40 out of you, but you won't return - they don't see it like that though. Your best course of action is to save your away trips up and jump on the tunnel/ferry. (staying away from Paderne obviously!!)

Someone will be along in a minute though to tell you what a criminal you are :xwink:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
might be 'illegal' but .... an almost empty car park.......... unreasonable

I was totally to blame, I should have realised, We are talking parking attendants here - maybe if he had any brains he could have a proper job.
Could it have been a contract company policed car park and they are on commission?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We are talking parking attendants here - maybe if he had any brains he could have a proper job.

Harsh comment..and unfair..
so let's say he cut you a bit of slack .. then later his supervisor turns up to check he is doing the job 'as per the regulations ' ?

would you risk your job to 'cut someone some slack ' ? ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Very good point Jim, "Jobsworth" has become a derogatory term but lets consider what it means. It means doing something (like giving some leaway on a parking issue) could lead to the "Jobsworth" losing his job. As you very rightly say in your last sentence "would you risk your job to 'cut someone some slack ' ? ?"

I wouldn't.

D.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Then I would suggest that the supervisor was also a bit of a dick. The car park was almost empty.

They saw no problem with plonking a post in the middle of the hatched area, at least I was relatively visible!

I'm over it now but stupidity still really winds me up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Then I would suggest that the supervisor was also a bit of a dick. The car park was almost empty.

They saw no problem with plonking a post in the middle of the hatched area, at least I was relatively visible!

I'm over it now but stupidity still really winds me up.
The problem is that the area clearly said 'no parking' and your camper's 'bum' was overhanging and whilst your wheels were not in it you were still 'hanging' over a non-parking area, now instead imagine that a load of motorcyclists rode up and parked in it because they though it was okay to do so.

I'm not saying that the fine should have been imposed but you choose to park in that car park as you did because you couldn't find anywhere else ... unfortunately in this case the only thing to do would be not to park, not ideal, but nonetheless a choice.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surely the clue is in the sign, CAR park, havnt been to Yarmouth for a couple of years now but never had trouble parking along the sea front so why try parking in a car park with small bays.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Motorcyclists do not do such anti-social things. It clearly says No Parking.
Don't get your Y-fronts in a flap ... it was just an example ... :xdoh:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Surely the clue is in the sign, CAR park, havnt been to Yarmouth for a couple of years now but never had trouble parking along the sea front so why try parking in a car park with small bays.

I think it's more about common sense..... which seems to be lacking in both Local Authorities, and its employees............ large car park..... small bays.... all empty.......:doh::doh:lone motorhome parks up and pays............... numpties

and they have the cheek to call it GREAT Yarmouth..........

:rofl:

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
In reply to peterc10. The answer is yes. Coleraine which dealt with Northern Ireland registrations was closed and everything centralised to Swansea.

TM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back