'Finds' in a second hand van ..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Apr 12, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have you bought a second hand van recently.. did you have any unexpected 'Finds' .. things hidden or forgotten about and left by the previous owner.. ?

Been exploring the nooks and crannies in the Hymer.. in the sink cupboard and under a false bottom, I found secreted away ten , yes ten packs of baby wipes.. and two small collapsible buckets.. bonus.

Under the L shaped bench seat.. the best find so far... an Electronic Digital Safe.. and not a cheap one.. it's solid .. bolted to the floor.. and it was open with the instructions inside on how to reset the code.. it has four AA batteries which were long dead.. dated 2012 .. so after fitting four fresh batteries I reset code and got it working... very useful for passports, cards, or other small valuable items..

Other useful things found in the garage..
    Silver external and internal screens
    Allay chevron board for bike rack
    Awning tie down kit
    Bag of bungee cords.. and other odds and sods

so what were your best 'finds' ?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Baycott

Baycott Funster

After being told by the dealer that there was only one leisure battery, found another one in the designated space all connected and both have given me good service for the last 3 years (y)

• Like Like x 5
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Dust........... :mad:

• Like Like x 7
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Nice one..

I forgot to mention .. as did the dealer.. two 60watt solar panels, also a Strikeback alarm and a battery master, both fitted by Eddie Vanbitz

• Like Like x 4
  5. SandT

SandT Funster

A very heavy "A" frame and a washing machine, have removed both.
    Lots of packets of soy sauce (some had leaked) and a compass !
    And worst of all a carpet under the recently laid wooden floor!!

Terry

• Like Like x 1
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We never even saw a speckle, much to mums delight :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Well Toni's new acquisition has revealed all manner of stuff.. Not weird stuff but...
    I think at some stage the van had been owned by a couple of blokes who used it as a party bus..

There was extra sockets EVERY WHERE.. But not proper ones, oh no..
    All they did was run extension leads all over the place.. Running the leads in mini-trunking stuck to the floor !! All surface mounted of course and a couple just run across the middle of the floor so you can trip up on them !
    Silly multi coloured LED strip right round the top of all the cupboards, wired in such a way you either had to be on hook up or use the large inverter fitted..
    The inverter was interesting too
    Instead of doing a proper job, they just ran 3 MORE extension leads.. depending on what part of the van you wanted 220 v in depended on which extension lead you plugged in !!!

Four MASSIVE speaker cabinets ( the rear two had been GLUED to the wall using that black mastic used to fit windscreens ( fortunately Lee is a painter decorator so will be replacing the wall covering in the back of the van where all the goo is )

An audio video system ( all wired but no actually tv or anything else ) the like of which I have only only seen in the most expensive vehicles.. Sadly, whilst it is all singing and dancing the whole mess is surface mounted yet again ( again in mini-trunking ) so is all coming out

Oh.. and a well used bong too !!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. SandT

SandT Funster

That might be mine, can you describe it please ?

Terry

• Like Like x 3
  9. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

5 tonne jack, double cycle rack, single motor bike rack, ( in garage ), all sorts of useful knick knacks. Left by kind previous owner.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  10. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Nothing too interesting, well used pair of flip flops, a dust pan and brush, personal washing equipment (shower scrubber thing on a cord), awning tie down kit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Nahh.. it was a real crappy one.. not a proper bong....couple of plastic Fanta bottle.. I spose it would have worked of course ( even stone heads canna really muck up a 'bucket' ! )

12. SandT

SandT Funster

What a disappointment, my wife has been looking for my "bong" for a while!

Terry :dance:

• Like Like x 3
  13. jumar

jumar Funster

Our latest van came fully kitted out ready for use, all they removed was their personal clothing, bike and wallet! In the garage was an oven, microwave, table, chairs etc. and a new full size motorhome cover.

As well as this it already came with refillable gas, solar panel, satellite and Avtex TV so was already a bargain.

• Like Like x 3
  14. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Our last caravan came from a couple who were getting divorced, it was parked on the husband's mum's drive as he was working away. It came with everything included, even tea towels but no FB pies. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Carpets which we have since binned, Thetford blue stuff, several Thetford toilet rolls (too big for the Thetford roll holder) and a hook-up lead. I can't recall anything else.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Our van is so old, I found the bill for the Last Supper under the communion chalice.........:cry::cry::cry:

• Like Like x 17
  17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

All of this makes our find fairly insignificant. In the small cupboard thing under the oven, was 4 cans of Speckled Hen! Nice (y)

They got consumed in the first voyage. I was hoping for more extraordinary finds, considering it is an ex-rental, but the cleaning staff did a fairly thorough job on it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

We found a mini ironing board still wrapped:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

We were surprised with ours - three DVD's, about 20 CD's (bit weird music though), foot-pump and torque wrench. Under the U shaped seats, a full luxury - matching carpet set, great awning, pillows, two windbreaks, two unused sleeping bags, a very nice fishing rod/reel combo and some toilet/grey/waste/washing chemicals (new). She also had two (one full, one nearly full) gas tanks, a new spare tyre, a full tool set, jacks and chocks, an unopened Euro breakdown kit, multitudes of manuals and books.
    Under the dinette seating were a full set of screw up steadies, re-chargeable torch with charger, fairy liquid and a very 'soiled' pair of pants stuffed behind the steady box (nice)!(n) Over the time we have also come across several socks, not one pair though.:(
    I inherited two very nice tee shirts and in total about £3.00 in change and about 6-7 Euro.

Quite a bit of kit there.

Trikeman.;)

• Like Like x 6
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A long dead illegal immigrant on top of the Back axle.

• Like Like x 12