LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well, for ages I wanted to get a new stereo fitted and couldn't make up my mind which one. It was saga after saga but now it's been done.

I firstly went to an audio shop in Warrington to be completely messed about by them. Wrong stereo ordered, bring it back for a measure etc etc.

Eventually I got one on a special, a proper posh Alpine with all the gizmos.

It includes Sat Nav blue tooth dvd player reverse camera etc etc etc etc ..

Managed to pretty much fit it myself although I had too get my neighbour to help with the Mercedes double din cage as I opted to modify the original from a single to double.

And here it is.
20170203_110416[1].jpg
20170203_125039[1].jpg
20170203_130942[1].jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you said in the title "finally upgraded" I thought you were changing the Rapids for a proper van(y)

Martin

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
A real professional job so well done Mr Haganap.........I hope my oven surround looks as good when I get around to it next week.

You've just inspired me !!!!!!!:roflmto:

Regards.

John P(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks good, always better to have the satnav etc., built in so much neater.
Just taken my Clarion out ready for trade in and replaced with a cheap eBay one.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Just had a Sony MEX4100BT fitted today by Halfords.
Spent two months touring before Christmas with a Sam Smith cd stuck in the player so long over due. Not as good as Mr Haganaps but it has a cd player, usb and bluetooth, and thundering sound.
£130 fitted.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
@Lenny HB I was going for the clarion nx501 but the Alpine was so much more buck and on reviews the Alpine is tops. I went for the INE w970BT bought from a sort of overstock dealer. It's last years model and if cost me £450 yet was 850 in the shop. When he brought it over he had about 12 different ones including some stonking 8 inch versions with built in DAB etc for about £850 (£1200) in the shop. All warrantied and genuine stock.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Lenny HB I was going for the clarion nx501 but the Alpine was so much more buck and on reviews the Alpine is tops. I went for the INE w970BT bought from a sort of overstock dealer. It's last years model and if cost me £450 yet was 850 in the shop. When he brought it over he had about 12 different ones including some stonking 8 inch versions with built in DAB etc for about £850 (£1200) in the shop. All warrantied and genuine stock.

Paul ... I had so much trouble in the past with people .. so called professionals .. messing up my battery connections re my solar panel etc when they fitted new leisure battery and later new engine battery .. I am paranoid now having any work done on van that involves connection to my battery.

I know it's probably a daft question but is there any way having this work done, they could cock up my connections or blow fuses again? I would love to have music as I drive. Also, would blue tooth be installed alongside it please as when on motorways I am sometimes on call alert?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Joy, there is little to go wrong but of course things always can. However, it's a simple installation and should not effect anything else in the van. However, I would go for DAB system as motorhomes are notoriously bad for radio reception. As for bluetooth? most radios have bluetooth fitted these days making calls on the move much safer and easier.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
looks lovely , nice and tidy fit :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
QUOTE="haganap, post: 2219020, member: 974"]@Lenny HB I was going for the clarion nx501 but the Alpine was so much more buck and on reviews the Alpine is tops. I went for the INE w970BT bought from a sort of overstock dealer. It's last years model and if cost me £450 yet was 850 in the shop. When he brought it over he had about 12 different ones including some stonking 8 inch versions with built in DAB etc for about £850 (£1200) in the shop. All warrantied and genuine stock.[/QUOTE]
My Clarion is the NX502e, I brought my when new model came out. Was originally £1000, UK price came down to £540+ £120 for the dab unit, I brought from a German supplier for £530 inc. Dab unit. I wanted a unit with IGO satnav.
I noticed Pioneer have now changed to IGO.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Paul ... I had so much trouble in the past with people .. so called professionals .. messing up my battery connections re my solar panel etc when they fitted new leisure battery and later new engine battery .. I am paranoid now having any work done on van that involves connection to my battery.

I know it's probably a daft question but is there any way having this work done, they could cock up my connections or blow fuses again? I would love to have music as I drive. Also, would blue tooth be installed alongside it please as when on motorways I am sometimes on call alert?
If you are only fitting a stereo should be a straightforward plug in job, they may have to swap two wires over (yellow & red live feeds).

In my case much more complicated as I wanted it wired to the leisure battery so had to take a feed from the Elektroblock, also wired the sound from the TV to it and reversing cameras took me a few days.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
@haganap Do you not find that with the GPS unit in the middle and below the dash that you take your eyes off the road a lot more whilst using it (the GPS)? I prefer my GPS to be just in my eye line mounted on the top of the dash or lower windscreen.. Just asking(y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@haganap Do you not find that with the GPS unit in the middle and below the dash that you take your eyes off the road a lot more whilst using it (the GPS)? I prefer my GPS to be just in my eye line mounted on the top of the dash or lower windscreen.. Just asking(y)
car Sat Navs / Radios are mounted centrally in the dash.

Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I fitted this unit myself it was £160 from Halfords and was easy enough to fit with very minor wiring mods. It does everything that I want as it has a radio no CD or DVD (which I didn't need or want) it also Bluetooths onto my phone so I can do DAB from the phone app and also Spotify, it will do phone as well but I wouldn't expect to use the phone much as I have my communications officer in the passenger seat usually. I have a seperate sat nav as I want something that's moveable to a hire car etc and it comes with lifetime map upgrades. Nice big touch screen that's so much easier to see and use than the single DIN unit that it replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 20
Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a Garmin drive 50 with the lifetime maps upgrade again bought from Halfords when they had a deal on. It's not a motorhome specific unit so I have to make sure that I look out the window at the signs to make sure the van will fit (Burstner A class) and I was really happy with the unit during our last trip around Europe covering over 2600miles. But as I said I want something that can be taken into another vehicle if required. The downside of course is a more cluttered dash which I'm willing to put up with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back