Filthy lorry drivers,regulation needed! (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
wonder if I will become one of those filthy truckers in October when I pass my LGV2 or will I dispose of my waste properly
down the toilet
BILL

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have drafted 3 responses to this and deleted them all I don't want to be banned for breaching rule 1.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
You don't see it in Europe due to simple fact truck drivers have parking that in the main is free or minimum cost with facility's for washing and toilets
What do we have £20 a night on shit services and meals that they could possible afford
Once again euro land puts us to shame
Even down here in Croatia it's a little crude but most of laybys have chemical toilets and bins
Sadly, I agree with Baldeagle 7470, 11 years in Charente maritime and the ailment is here in France. As most of you, my wife and I have shopped in the UK within a height restricted area ie no lorries or motorhomes and have seen FREQUENTLY nappies on the ground OUTSIDE mucky D's, Asda, Morrisons and the list goes on. Changing sprogs in cars and cannot be "arsed" to properly dispose of the waste, rubbish discarded where standing as packaging is opened to eat/ smoke..... sad but some have ZERO self respect and as such WHY would you expect them to respect others or the enviroment . As posted before elsewhere, the truth is unavoidable and simples "YOU CANNOT EDUCATE PORK"!!!!!!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
One of the problems with building toilets in a quiet lay by somewhere is they end up getting used as a dogging site or cottageing. Then they are closed down , this is the world we have now.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I had to google cottageing (innocent that I am) not exactly escape to the country!

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
"Truckers tizer" as it was referred to on the recent motorway workers programme.

Not always lorry drivers, but the vast majority is (deadlines to meet and all that)

Not sure about the poo bit though, quite a challenge to do a "clean job" (or clean jobbie :D ) I would have thought.

Over the last couple of decades I have encountered thousands of truck drivers in my ex line of work and I would estimate at least three out of ten would stink out my ticket office to the point where it needed lots of freshener.
Now when I say stink, a lot of time that includes the stink of piss and turtle heads!
On the flipside, this means that the majority of drivers were washed and clean and were clearly potty trained.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our canals are suffering from the same malady. Cheap living on old boats by those who don't give a t**s, means chemical loo's being emptied right into the canals, areas of woodland bordering canal towpaths full of s**t and nappies, plus carrier bags full of household rubbish. Animals treat the place better then humans.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I am an ex HGV driver . I have filled up bottles and plastic bags . I have never thrown anything out of a window and always got rid of anything into a bin .

The provision of toilet facilities is sadly getting worse with councils closing facilities to save money .

Imagine having to drive for 4 1/2 hours without a " comfort break " because you don't have time to stop . when and if manufacturers or employers decide to fit facilities into drivers workplaces the problem may get better .

Not standing up for litter louts as they are lazy sods , just saying that people do have to resort to these measures .

Putting the blame solely on HGV drivers is short sighted and ignorant .

Is it still legal for a driver to urinate on his nearside wheel ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We noticed in France the litter bins at the road side stops are huge. They look like a normal bin but it's a long sock type thing which is lifted out by a lorry with a crane on to be emptied. It must of been over 12 ft long, one bin with a huge amount in or longer between emptying.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wee in a plastic bottle everyday...

But I empty it out in an appropriate place when necessary...

No way am I going to throw away a perfectly reuseable plastic bottle...

There are so many Woosies around when it comes to wee weeing!

I bet 99% of all human wee never gets anywhere near a loo...

...and if wretched dogs can, then why not me?

JJ :cool:

PS. I can go for over two months before needing to empty my black tank...

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
The provision of toilet facilities is sadly getting worse with councils closing facilities to save money .

Imagine having to drive for 4 1/2 hours without a " comfort break " because you don't have time to stop .

Putting the blame solely on HGV drivers is short sighted and ignorant .

Agree wholeheartedly, most unfair to blame drivers.
Government and industry need to acknowledge the needs of the people manning these vital transport services and provide facilities and time to use them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Agree wholeheartedly, most unfair to blame drivers.
Government and industry need to acknowledge the needs of the people manning these vital transport services and provide facilities and time to use them.
Industry rather than government. It is they who decide on the transport methods so (as in so many other aspects) they should provide appropriate vehicles for the job.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I too am an ex lorry driver, sadly there are those who would shame a pig in our numbers, same can be said in ALL sectors of society. As JJ quoted we seem to be a little "delicate" with the subject of pee/wee/urine what ever you call it. French supermarkets/diy stores/ general parking areas no matter where one will see males both young and adult with their backs to the crowds "pointing Percy" into the hedges. I have as do many driven flat out for 4 1/2 hours to make a delivery on time to enter the depot and be told "sorry, no toilet facilities for drivers" and then told to wait in line for unloading which may take upto 4 hours. I suspect you think I gest .... sadly not. Motorway services where parking is now at £25 plus per night with deplorable facilities and little or no security. But you have cameras I once said to a supervisor in the motorway services "Oh, that's for us to make sure YOU pay ... NOT for your security. If you want something to REALLY worry about then consider this all too true senario.
It's Saturday afternoon early evening in summer, it's hot and the motorways are busy. You "trundle" along in the middle lane and behind you is a 44 tonnes artic slowly closing the gap between you. No problem he is a professional driver and is in full control .......... BUT.... this driver has been pushed by employers to do hours that would make you crack up.
Monday 15 hours work followed by a 9 hour break during which he has to eat drink and toilet.
Tuesday an easy 13 hour day and life of luxury a break of 11 hours,
Wednesday 15 hours work and another 9 hour break
Thursday a 13 hour day and a chance to "catch up" on sleep with 11 hours off
Friday a very early start with 15 hours to position for a good run in Saturday after another 9 hours break
Saturday, ah yes for most a day of rest, lets take the cars out and "trundle along" its the weekend "hooray" no-one is in a rush .... except the poor sod behind doing his level best to get home and see his family, use a clean toilet, have a shower and eat food that should not have already been given to pigs yesterday and most of all sleep in a bedroom that is not 7 feet by 6 feet with precious little in the way of luxury.

As the gap between you grows ever smaller, say a little prayer that the driver is a pro is in full control and has not simply fallen asleep behind the wheel EXHAUSTED.

A lorry drivers job is not easy or glamorous, is rarely well paid and for many not a job we would choose to do had we had our time again but they are extremely hard working and on the whole honest and good people.

AH that's better ...... rant over ...... I feel much better now the medication is kicking in

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Industry rather than government. It is they who decide on the transport methods so (as in so many other aspects) they should provide appropriate vehicles for the job.

Sadly, industries rarely regulate themselves adequately. This is why so many aspects of industry are controlled by Government Legislation and also by Trade Union agreements.
This thread highlights a long overdue need.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
the councils have closed down 60 per cent. of all truck stops in the last 20 years. we are told park in the services. and as stated at £25 at least a night. it is not on. we need the truck stops reopened .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the councils have closed down 60 per cent. of all truck stops in the last 20 years. we are told park in the services. and as stated at £25 at least a night. it is not on. we need the truck stops reopened .
I am reminded of a thread (not sure which forum) from some years ago which complained about lack of safety and theft risks for trucks. I wondered at the time why the hauliers (and, possibly, the insurance companies) didn't get together to make secure facilities available at hauliers' yards across the country.

Probably, like so many these days, they want somebody else to pay for it for them.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I am reminded of a thread (not sure which forum) from some years ago which complained about lack of safety and theft risks for trucks. I wondered at the time why the hauliers (and, possibly, the insurance companies) didn't get together to make secure facilities available at hauliers' yards across the country.

Probably, like so many these days, they want somebody else to pay for it for them.

there is a problem there as when you set up the operators licence you are only allowed how many overnight trucks you say you have .
even regular parking up on land could require an adaption of the operators licence .
i know one of our vehicles was always taken home by one of the drivers and parked in the village hall carpark . we had to apply for permission .
its not as straight forward as it seems .
its a strange and complicated world we live in .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
there is a problem there as when you set up the operators licence you are only allowed how many overnight trucks you say you have .
even regular parking up on land could require an adaption of the operators licence .
i know one of our vehicles was always taken home by one of the drivers and parked in the village hall carpark . we had to apply for permission .
its not as straight forward as it seems .
its a strange and complicated world we live in .
I accept it may not be straightforward but if it is a measure which would reduce thefts and make things better for drivers then I should think it would not take too much persuasion for government to make any changes necessary, especially if it were at no cost to the public purse.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
wasnt knocking your idea .
but many dont understand there are rules for everything .
remember locals get a say when operator centers are set up . many times its hard to get the number you need these days . allowing for others the locals would object .
its a difficult one . we might think its simple but honest it isnt .
just adding one truck can get a no.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
And one for the ladies ! Why predominately men who pee in public even where there is a perfectly good toilet where they are !! I have lived in France fir 11 years but still cannot get my head around why as an example you would stop for petrol , fill up, walk to the entrance to pay , go to kabe side pee against the wall and then go in and pay !!! Beggers believe to me . I did ask a French female friend what do the ladies do and her answer was wait for a toilet ! Excepting in course in all cases when you are in the middle if no where .
And we took 17 French motorhomes to Scotland and told them not to pee in public . Same man caught 3 times ! Once in a lay bye with other cars there , he has a toilet in his motorhome for Gods sake and another time on a camp site !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back