Filling water tank - which is best ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RICSB, Jul 7, 2012.

?

Which one do you use

Poll closed Jul 17, 2012.
  1. Water Roller with sub pump

9.8%
  2. Plastic jerry can

27.5%
  3. 7.5 meter hose pipe

41.2%
  4. Longer hosepipe

41.2%
  5. All the above

19.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RICSB

RICSB Read Only Funster

Good morning all, we have just sold our California and upgraded to an A Class when in Europe last year our 5 litre water top did us just fine - a Cali doesn't need much water. But now is different, with a 100 litre tank to fill !! Do I buy a hose? A 25 litre jerry can ? A water roller with a pump ? What do you guys do ? Off to lake Constance in a weeks time and need some guidance - please !!! :Cool:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If you just use sites a short hose will probably do. We wild all the time and get water when and where we can so carry an assortment of hose lengths that total around 40 mtrs when all joined together plus a 2 gall watering can, an assortment of tap/hose fittings so we can utilise whatever source we find.

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Not listed in poll we use 10ltr water can find this the most convenient method of filling, with enough water when I can't use hose but may take a couple of trips, but does not have to be done at one go unless you want to.
    Have various lengths of hose that fit together, if one length is unsuitable, this saves unrolling too much hose, and easier to work with.

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I use a hosepipe for big fills but to top up I use a 10l jerrycan. My method is this; the filler is below the dinette window,I put the can on the tableand take a piece of brewers hose out of the can and syphon into the tank. I have now 'upgraded' to a syphon pump £3 for 2 from Maplins.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-piece-siphon-pump-342424

Attached Files:

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We carry various lengths of hose from 25mtr down to 1mtr plus a 10ltr plastic container and a 5ltr one. Also various connectors.

Mike

6. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We have 2 x 15metre and 1 x 7 metre hoses and a 10ltr water carrier. The plan for the future is to see if I can buy a 25ltr collapsible water carier as that will (hopefully) fit in the Rolson collapsible trolley and adapt an old caravan Whale pump, with a long hose and long 12v lead to a cigar lighter plug-in, to transfer - four trips will pretty nearly fill the tank.

Though a lot of people don't worry about it, the green and the yellow garden hoses contain a somewhat unhealthy chemical to keep the hoses flexible, so they ought not to be used for potable water. Blue catering quality hose doesn't and so is recommended.

John

7. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

Water

Yes, we do pretty much the same. Use, blue :thumb:quality hoses for water. We also carry an aqua roll and pump for when we are on a site and miles from the water tap!

Have a fabulous time in your new baby!!

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I bought a blue water hose when we got the camper, split it into two, and fitted a variety of connectors on the four ends, especially the hozelock type, which seem to cover a lot of possibilities both here and abroad. It's usually cheaper to buy hozelock attachments on your local market rather than in a DIY superstore or garden centre. Make sure you have at least one connector that can be tightened around the end of a tap, like a jubilee clip.

Most of the time I use a 20 litre plastic jerry can to top up the tank. This is especially handy on Aires when a queue builds up at the service point each morning. Often there are more water taps than there are service bays, so when someone with 8 million litres of accumulated grey water is parked forever over the drainage gulley you can still slip in with your jerry can and get fresh water without having to queue in your vehicle. If I'm feeling knackered or it's a long walk to the tap I strap the jerry can to my bike and use that as an adapted push-along water carrier.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We carry a flatpack hose, a 3 mtre blue hose, a water carrier ( 40 litres ) and whale pump bought for a fiver from a certain Upmarket Hippy :thumb:

Seems to cover all the options

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

filled mine today using a house hose

I filled my tank today using the house hose.

In France it was the flat hose

At shows it is a 5 gall plastic container and a pump.

Horses for courses spring to mind... always found someway to do it.

Bob:Blush:

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

With the Rv I used hoses, several different lengths, all told could stretch to 50mts .. if that was short I reverted to woman power and a watering can... :Laughing:

This was at Plouha Aire .. as you can see she has it nearly full.. all 72 gals / 325lts.. that's about 32 trips with the watering can.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

10 litre watering can for me - sometimes when away its the only excercise I get.

13. wasp

wasp Funster

After seeing Scotjim`s photo with the waterin can last year I bought one in France, best bit of kit I`ve had, up to that point it was an aquaroll and a submersible pump,and of course the hose pipe:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. peter marshall

peter marshall

I use two quite different methods, I carry one long hose with the connections fitted If I am on a site for any length of time that has water on the pitch I connect to the tap and the van using a replacement cap with a hose type fitting on the outside so I have a permenant water supply, for short stays I use a 5 litre bottle and a funnel so both very different, I also add water before leaving home but not to much, I did have a roll up flat hose once but it kept bursting and
    soaking me in the process lol. Peter

Ps If going abroad carry different size tap connections most are the same fit has ours, but some are a bit larger.