Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I was told when I bought my bus to fill the water tank till it overflowed and done this ever since.

Now en-route i alway loose water and generally arrive with about 3/4 of a tank on the gauge.

Am I overfilling to start with? and if so why do i not just loose the overfill rather that the tank gauge telling me it's only 75% full then.

If I fill it to overflow on the pitch it doesn't loose any water.

Ideas???

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I noticed the same thing on our Georgie Boy. I once pulled up a couple of miles after filling the water tank and saw water running out. A quick check confirmed that it was siphoning out an overflow pipe. I can only guess that it's being on the move with the water slopping about is enough to fill the overflow and start the siphoning. It never did it if I filled up on site.

Regards
Doug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mine always reads 3/4 after filling to overflow.
the guages are never accurate, at least on euro vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
It's exactly as Doug said - siphoning! I had the same problem when standing still, with the Georgetown. If I stopped filling it the moment that it started to overflow, I was OK but if I left it to overflow for a few minutes, it would set up a siphon effect and damned nearly empty the tank. Luckily the tank was in the bedroom and I coiuld actually see it happening.

I think Linda put up a decent explanation on here not so long ago - and also gave a simple rememdy for it - but for the life of me, I can't find it. Mind you, I am suffering from a very bad case of man-flue just at the moment and can hardly see the keyboard to type on - oh, woe is me :Sad:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Definitely syphoning but how do i cure it?

Did it to me this afternoon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi. I just fill ours up to 1/3rd full for travelling. Its enough to overnight with and your not lugging tonnes of water around paying for the fuel to move it :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back