Filling my 110ltr water tank daily!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Doyce, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Doyce

Doyce Read Only Funster

Hi, can anyone advise on the following please? I've just changed from 7 years caravaning to my first motorhome, a CI Mizar GTL Living. We were away last week for the first time and found it astonishing that I was having to refill the 110ltr water tank almost daily! At first I thought there must be a leek, so search everywhere and found nothing. I'm comparing the usage against the two 30 ltr containers I used on my tourer, of which lasted 3+ days and where still in the same habbits on how we use the water!

Any answersor suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Pete

2. chas

chas Read Only Funster

Hi Pete- My first thoughts would be to establish if you definatly have a 110 litre tank and then, if so when you do fill up do you fill it really fast and perhaps then get a surge back from the filler point which may be a air blockage.
    Also do you rely on what the water gauge says, as normally these are nowhere near accurate. If your tank is full with the amount you state then some prudance of the water you use is needed. Also does the water supply feed the flushing system of the toilet if so then its another drain of water on the tank.

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

What capacity is your Grey tank? Are you constantly having to empty that?

What goes in...must come out....so they say...:Rofl1:

I agree with Chas...Wondering whether the tank is really full or whether there's another issue.

Steve

4. Doyce

Doyce Read Only Funster

Thanks for the reply both. I'm not 100% sure on the grey tank capacity, it's either 80 or 100 ltr but either way I only emptied it half the amount of time compared to filling. I did wonder however whether the toilet would have an impact as my old tourer didn't flush from the tank like the motorhome does. Having said this, the toilet only got emptied 3 times in the week as it only tends to get used at night by my children.

Maybe I need a little more 'trial and error' filling the tank to the brim and running it down till the taps dry up for a better indication of the usage?

5. Rockingdodge

Rockingdodge Read Only Funster

You'll know when it's full to the brim as you should get drain-off through the overflow which should be somewhere round the fresh water tank

Regards

Roger

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

best way to be sure is to remove the seat cushions in the dining area, You will then see a screw top which is the water tank. Just fill it directly and you will then be sure it is full. You may simply be using too much water but It does seem excessive. Perhaps, its because we are a dirty family :Wink: but we nevr use anything like that. Just filled mine up prior to stratford and 3 days later we still have over half.:thumb:

7. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

8. 656

656 Read Only Funster

My Mrs can use 100 litres a day, no bother. Just remember to use only as much as you need i.e. when showering, wet down, turn off, soap up and then rinse off.

9. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

We have a 70 litre fresh water tank and that normally lasts about a day for 5 of us. We don't shower in the van all the time and when we do no not all of us on the same day.

When I initially fill the tank I fill until the water pours from overflow pipe, I then turn on the hot taps as the Truma Ultrastore which our van has for hot water has it's own tank of 10-14 litres and by turning the hot tap on the air is released and the tank is filled from the fresh water tank, once the hot tap runs with water I then top up the fresh water tank.

10. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

Hi
    We had a leak on our Hymer that only showed up when the pump was on,
    we had water at the taps ect but a small leak was pumping water under the sink
    out to the floor where it was slowly going out of the van, no real mess but
    a b------r to find, may be worth a look???

Goood luck.

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Have you got a Trauma water heater with an automatic dump valve? Either you have been in some frosty conditions,it can happen even now or it is faulty.

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi does the pump run when it should not be ? ie taps off and no loo flushing ? Next you may have to wait a few days ( rain here ) to check if it is dry under the van / park on a road where it is dry :Rofl1:
    terry

13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hiya,
    Welcome to Motorhome fun.We are a family of 5 with a 2006 Mizar GTL living top class , so it could be the same model.
    We've just got back from the Isle Of White and all used our shower daily as we were on a fully serviced pitch , and it was red hot and sunny all week bar 1 day:sin:
    So we did get through more water than usual .
    I'd try filling up the tank till its over flowing.
    We dont take much notice of the electronic 1/2 , 3/4 electronic sensor thing , as it has been known to be wrong. We've been known just to lift up the seat and look in the tank to check , before now.
    We have found we have lots more water to use before filling up , compared to the previous caravans we have had.
    Hope you dont have a leak , and are just a bit heavy handed with the water usage.
    Bev

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

100 litres a day! does the wife look like this?

seal.jpg

15. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Another reminder goes the other way. Don't carry too much water around, water companies do it much more cheaply.

Seriously water adds weight! This means you may be over weight, legally, and it also costs in fuel.

We carry a medium size bottle of Asda-type H2O for emergencies, (5 litres = 5Kgs) and a 2 litre one for a quick cuppa or several, We stick in what we might need at a campsite, and empty it before leaving, which seems to keep everything fresh and working without undue effort.

That's torn it!

16. Doyce

Doyce Read Only Funster

Thanks for the reply Terry. Yes the pump does run every 10 mins(ish) even though the taps etc wern't being used. It was quite anoying so I would just turn the pump off on the display. I did wonder if this was normal? I kept an eye out for leeks etc but found nothing. Also didn't use the shower once due to usage!

17. Doyce

Doyce Read Only Funster

No shes bigger and smells worse (even with the water she uses) :thumb:

18. Doyce

Doyce Read Only Funster

That's great advice, much appreciated as I'm still on the learning curve!!

19. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

My pump will only run when I turn the tap on. If yours is constantly switching itself on and off it would suggest a loss of pressure in the pipe, i.e. a leak.

I`m not sure on the size tank I have in my van but it does me and the missus for a weekend, both having showers both days, plus all the other usage for washing up, cups of tea and cooking etc. And, I always seem to bring home a good portion of it.

20. Terry

Terry Funster

That could point to a leak :Eeek: or the more likely seals on your pump :Eeek: letting the pressure drop. Double check under your van on dry tarmac on a dry day with the pump turned on.If it is the seals you can get new ones or a new pump. SEALS AROUND £10 NEW PUMP SAY £50 ISH
    terry