LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have two gas-it tanks both filled by one outside filling point never turned them of yet and would be a job to get to. But have posted recently about one of the tanks over filling because the auto cut off had not kicked in. This is my reserve tank and so was not on (gas outlet valve shut) but was completely full. I have let some (a lot) out and used the tank down to 20% and refilled and the cut off is now working. But will keep an eye on it.
Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reply from Gaslow to my question

Q. What is the danger of not closing the outlet valves when filling.

A. Thank you for your enquiry, you should always turn of the outlet from the cylinders when refilling, otherwise the pressure on the regulator increases and can damage it while filling. Also if its not turned off, you can risk getting liquid gas into the regulator.

So there you have it..

Why it may damage the regulator with a Gaslow bottle, .. but not with a tank... no idea

Liquid LPG would only enter if the 80% shut-off failed.. so an added precaution, that makes sense..

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The gas in the tank will be at vapour pressure for whatever the temperature of the day. The pump inlet & outlet are at vapour pressure too until the pump is switched on. At that point pressure will rise in the tank whilst the pump is in operation. It won't be a huge increase in pressure because the vapour pressure will be trying to stabilise but it might be enough to damage the regulator. I'd imagine that the possibility of liquid in the vapour line could occur because of the disturbance to the contents of the tank as liquid enters - the inlet & outlet aren't far apart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As I said the tank has a snorkel device to prevent liquid gas entering the outlet to regulator
yes, understand that..

but the snorkel won't stop the pressure increase during filling .. it works with liquid.. not vapour

so why is the bulkhead regulator at risk with a bottle but not a tank ?

I cannot see the difference

Edit

just realised, the regulator on a tank is two stage

a high and a low stage .. so can cope with the higher pressure during filling ?

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As I said the tank has a snorkel device to prevent liquid gas entering the outlet to regulator
Ours on the other hand, is a liquid feed off tank (apparently) and has a vapouriser on the opposite side of the vehicle which prevents liquid gas entering the regulator. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Posted that i had a problem with one gas tank over filling well now the regulator on that tank has failed. Large amounts of gas coming out of the vent hole. I found/heard it minuets before setting of on a trip.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back