fifthwheelers and ferries

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by bluecoolcath, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bluecoolcath

bluecoolcath Read Only Funster

Anyone got any experience of booking ferries with a fifthwheel? We have a Nissan Navara with a celtic rambler and it looks like we will have to go freight. Anyone have any recommendations for who to book with.

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Measure the truck and 5ver when hitched to give you the overall length in meters and split it between towing vehicle and caravan, go onto ferry website and tick option 4x4 then option towing trailer or caravan, you will then get 2 boxes for the height and length, in 4x4 put length and height e.g. 5mtr. and 1.83mtr then in the box for towed item the same again e.g. 8mtr and 3.5mtr. I have used the measurements for our 5th wheel as the example. Remember to allow for such things as your aircon unit on your roof in the height section.

Welcome to Fun

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

PM chatter - she has done this and has the right ferries and the formula to go as a caravan - think she was quoting £140 Dover / Calais

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

When we had our`s we always if possible went Dover to Dunkirk (Norfolk Lines)... They knocked spots off all the others...

And if I remember correctly where you book like a car & caravan we knocked a few feet off the 5th wheel,,,,, otherwise you are being charged for the bit that is tucked away under the nose of the 5th wheel if you get my drift...

The others we used which were a bit more expensive but suited us because we lived down South was L.D. lines.... from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, not sure if they are still running though.

Hope this helps.. :thumb:

5. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you can cross on a sunday with a friday return Norfolk Line at the moment are the cheapest as 'caravans go free' on the dover /dunkirk crossing on those days

6. Wheelie

Wheelie Read Only Funster

Ive done the tunnel with my fiver, that was ok, if i had to pay for it all it would have been expensive but i had tesco vouchers and it only cost me 60 quid, i will however be booking a ferry shortly from portsmouth to caen if my memory serves me correct was about £250.

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

We pull a trailer and the tunnel allows for that

When we book our RV and trailer through the C&CC (to get the 10% off) we always book the RV and A trailer.. They need how long each part is, how tall .. As the trailer is lower than the RV they even want that size...

Have though about Norfolk lie, but it is the issue of Ezzie... Stena Line through Harwich to he Hook is to expensive.

May be worth a call to the CCC if you area member.

Bob

8. threelegs

threelegs Read Only Funster

5 th wheel

Hi. I am a newbie to 5 th wheels. Heading down to collect a 2004 Wildcat plus Dodge Ram in a couple of weeks to bring back to the Isle Of Man. Intend to do some Diy on the fiver then head to France for a couple of weeks. I would appeciate any tips on ferrys etc and any other ideas for our new toy !!

It will cost me a fortune on the IOM Steam Packet,,, so intend to find a storage place near to Heysham in the future.

Thanks Ade :Doh:

9. majo

majo Read Only Funster

I'm booked on DFDS (Norfolk Line) this Sunday the 7th and returning on the 26th. Booked through the CC 5er and Nissan Navara total length 12.5m. When entering dimensions I put tow veh 5.5m and Trailer (caravan) 7m, although 1m sits on top of pick-up
    Return price £89.00 (14.00hrs out and 18.00hrs return)