Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi all,

Well we've finally done it and bought a fifth wheeler. So I will say a fond farewell to the old motorhome.

A question to all you experienced 5er owners and that is - do you insure your fifth wheeler as well as your truck? We already have breakdown cover on our current motorhome but I guess it will all be different with our new 5er. The truck of course will be insured and also have European Breakdown cover but what do you all do with regard to your 5er should you need breakdown cover?

It's a 27' Sun Valley tugged by a Nissan Navara.

Any advice would be gratefully received as we are virgin 5er's :roflmto:

Thanks,
Mick & Marion

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Welcome to the fifth wheel clan.

We have our fifth wheel, Dodge Ram and truck camper insured as one with Campton Insurance.

Our breakdown cover is with the RAC and the Camping and Caravanning Club Arrivals Scheme. We have also registered with the RAC Commercial breakdown because the guy we were speaking to in Bombay assured us that the Arrivals Scheme covered any size and length, we weren't sure if he knew what a fifth wheel was so for peace of mind, should we ever be broken down on the side of the road with the fifth wheel, we knew that whatever happens we would be rescued.

See pm

All the best

Nigel and Pamala

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
welcome to the 5 alive , camptons is who i use . not allowed to break down must fix it myself or struggle home. made it from seville to santander with only 4th gear in march. hope its not reapeted next time away. ha ha .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Whilst looking for insurance for our new 5ver, I found about 7 different companies who would insure 5vers, but only one, Camtons, who will insure both the 5ver and the pick up as a package.:thumb:

Bare in mind one thing about Camptons package tho'!!!!!!!!:Angry:
Thier combined insurance will NOT cover your pick up for comunting, merely "social, Domestic & Pleasure".- in other words, towing the 5ver and sight seeeing!
This was NOT pointed out to us before we took thier package and personally, I wouldn't trust Camptons as far as I could throw them!:Angry:.......quite apart from the fact that thier attitude was VERY off hand on the phone - and I know its not just me cos they were the same with ffiona. EVERYBODY likes ffiona, she's just one of those type of people, so when she says they were funny b*ggers, there must be something wrong!:Angry:

Luckily, ffiona and I use her Citreon C1 for comuting so we were OK, even tho' it came as a complete surprise!:thumb:
Now that the policy has been taken out, we will probably cary on for this year and will just have to put up with the fact that we can't use the Nav' to comute (even in emergencies!) but when the policy is due for renewal, I will first contact Denise at MFU mutal in the hope that thier "combined" policy has been returned to them (for new customers) and if not, I will seriously consider paying the extra to have the pick up and the 5ver insured seperatly in order to gain greater flexibilty of use!:winky:

Last edited:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Whilst looking for insurance for our new 5ver, I found about 7 different companies who would insure 5vers, but only one, Camtons, who will insure both the 5ver and the pick up as a package.:thumb:

Bare in mind one thing about Camptons package tho'!!!!!!!!:Angry:
This was NOT pointed out to us before we took thier package and personally, I wouldn't trust Camptons as far as I could throw them!:Angry:.......quite apart from the fact that thier attitude was VERY off hand on the phone - and I know its not just me cos they were the same with ffiona...............................................:

I can only speak as found and that is that the service from Camptons was very good. Everything was clearly explained in advance of purchasing, documents arrived promptly, paperwork was completely in order and accurate .................and the price for the combined policy was very competitive...............shall I use them again............most definitely.

Rob

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We've been using Camptons for nearly three years, and we can honestly say the service we received was second to none. We were quite surprised to hear your comments, is there another office other than the one we use in Godstone, Surrey?

Nigel and Pamala

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We've been using Camptons for nearly three years, and we can honestly say the service we received was second to none. We were quite surprised to hear your comments, is there another office other than the one we use in Godstone, Surrey?

Nigel and Pamala

I honestly don't know, I'd have to check my paperwork. Perhaps they were just having a bad day that day. It's always nice to read that at least someone has had good service:thumb: , even if it leaves you thinking, "what the hell have I done!" :ROFLMAO:

RobRobc & Sundowners.
As a matter of interest guys, what does your policy state? Would you be covered for commuting, if you needed/wanted it?

Last edited:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I honestly don't know, I'd have to check my paperwork. Perhaps they were just having a bad day that day. It's always nice to read that at least someone has had good service:thumb: , even if it leaves you thinking, "what the hell have I done!" :ROFLMAO:

RobRobc & Sundowners.
As a matter of interest guys, what does your policy state? Would you be covered for commuting, if you needed/wanted it?

zaskar

Our policy does not include commuting, and I assume (although making assumptions in any circumstance is always dangerous ::bigsmile:) this means not at all. This is not an issue for us as we are retired and cannot therefore really see a situation when we would commute. I do fully understand your predicament though, maybe it is worth a phone call to them to see if that could be added to your policy.

Rob

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
At the moment I have nothing but praise for "Campton`s" they are the only ones that would insure both my 5th wheel and truck on the same policy, at what I thought was a reasonable price,, £513-09 including the usual insurance one off set up fee, and Claim Service & Legal Scheme with RVM.. So £499.09 without the mentioned..

A club I am with quoted over £600 just for the 5th wheel,, and £280 getting insurance separatley for the truck == £880 combined and that was one of the cheaper options..:Angry:

My son is borrowing my truck to go to Germany for a helicopter Comp,, and Camptons have charged £26 to add him to the policy for 10 days and that includes a green card..

Courtious/helpfull/ and obliging... cant be all that bad,, me thinks..:thumb:

OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Just a quick update in case anyone is interested.

I've spent the past couple of days phoning round re insurance and today I spoke to Camptons. I found them the most helpful and most competitive company that I've tried so far - and an added bonus in that they know what a fifth wheeler is :ROFLMAO:

So we've decided to go with Camptons and the cover includes using the Nissan for commuting.

Very happy with the service from them.

Mick and Marion

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you got sorted Syranara - and welcome to the 5er brigade :thumb:

Our insurance had to be done differently as the truck is a business vehicle and has commercial insurance.

We insured the 5er with 4Site for £350. Worked well for us.

Al & Gill

S

steve-bailey

Deleted User
Steve B

Hi::bigsmile:
We have had a 5th wheel for 8 years and the only company to give us full cover for all our needs is the NFU in Louth Lincolnshire.
They cover the whole setup for all risks with no sensible exceptions.
We also have a demountable camper + box trailer added as an extentions.
All this for around £800 per yr.:thumb:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Just insured our 5ver and Pickup with camptons, very helpful people Cost £548.79:thumb:

Ant & Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Thats about what we pay, ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I guess I must be as reckless as you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rob

:ROFLMAO: Thanks Rob

the first quote was £880.00 but they forgot to add my protected NCB which brought it right down:Smile: which was good till I mentioned it to Debs who then said "oh goody i feel a shopping trip coming on":cry:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
:ROFLMAO: Thanks Rob

the first quote was £880.00 but they forgot to add my protected NCB which brought it right down:Smile: which was good till I mentioned it to Debs who then said "oh goody i feel a shopping trip coming on":cry:

Oops, that's not good.

I have just got back from the garage, Maz needed 3 new tyres on her Jaguar. £806.00 inc VAT :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

No shopping for her.:shout::shout:

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back