Fifth wheel lubricant

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by LesAshmore, Dec 9, 2009.

1. LesAshmore

LesAshmore Read Only Funster

Well the time is drawing closer and I am wanting to be prepared with everything in hand, I wonder if anyone can help me with the lubricant that is used on the fifth wheel plate please, I also understand that there is a pad that can be used that is a type of silicone, Can anyone advise please ?.
    :thumb:

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you are going to use a silicone pad, you do not put any grease on the plate whatsoever, a bit if needed on the kingpin. The silicone plate does the job that you would put grease on for so it is a cleaner system.Most dealers, spares outlets for rvs/5vers stock them and they are not dear. the silicone plate is pre cut and shaped and you just push it up over the kingpin and tap lightly into place - job done

maggie

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Personally I do not like the silicone discs - you have to spend time lining up the hitch too much for my liking to avoid catching the disc, if you have a good 5th wheel grease you can line up the king pin and provided the ramps are touching you can reverse straight under and it will couple easily without worrying too much about getting the height right - go to any good transport place and you can but a 1 litre pot of special grease or use any good EP2 grease and before hitching make sure there is no bits stuck on but generally any debris will be pushed off as the two slide together.

Very much personal choice

4. Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel Read Only Funster

My lube plate fits around the kingpin tight does not hang down takes just a long to couple and uncouple the 5ver as it does with grease on unless the plate is not fitted right:Doh:

The best bit is no dirty grease in your truck bed:thumb:

Bougfht my lube plate of ebay :thumb:

;;
    ;
    ;

5. agilityeye

agilityeye Read Only Funster

got to agree best thing i ever bought :thumb: got ours when we were on holiday in the states.
    it fits tight on the kingpin and it hitches up just as easy as it was on grease:BigGrin:
    Ian

6. chaswb100

chaswb100 Read Only Funster

Alex at Calder supplied & fitted one when we collected our Kountrylite.All part of their excellent service.
    First Class piece of kit.Much better than all that grease in my opinion.No problem with it when hitching up.

Regards - Chas

7. robrobc

robrobc Read Only Funster

I have used silicone plate since I got the 5'er, simple to fit, no problem in use.........job done :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: