fibreglass body deterioration (1 Viewer)

Chizz and Jax

Free Member
Mar 27, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hope someone can help me with this one. My eura mobil motor home is made of fibreglass and whilst cleaning it noticed a few patches where it was chalky and matt. Did a bit of research and sounds like it could be oxidation where the gel coat has been lost?
Also to further worries on closer inspection the surface where this has occurred is peppered in black spots. Anybody out there know off this condition? Or experienced the same.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the problem is not too severe, this product should help. I use it to maintain the cab section of my A-class. If the problem needs professional repair, I would still use Farecla to maintain it afterwards.
http://www.farecla.com/industrial/profile-gelcoat-restorer-wax

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If it needs more than just a clean and polish, I would suggest you visit a boatyard or boat builder and ask for professional advice.. they are usually very knowledgeable and helpful with fiberglass issues.. and usually stock products if you need to do a repair ... they may also offer to do the work if your not happy about tackling yourself.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Sounds like the gel coat may have aeration ie small bubbles are formed within the gel coat as it sets, once the surface deteriorates with age, wear and uv degradation, small pin holes appear on the surface. The black spots may well be fungal growth within these pin holes. Firstly, unless very matted, avoid using any abrasive polish, it will only make the situation worse. Clean the gel coat with a surface biocide not bleach or a bleaching agent. Polycel mould killer will do the trick and is easily available. Leave the biocide on for a couple of dry days then wash thoroughly with plenty of water to remove the dead fungus. Once dry, seal with Polytrol which is available from good Yacht Chandlers. Repeat as necessary, this is not a permanent repair but, the only real alternative would be to re gel coat, paint or wrap.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Do you have post any pictures of the fibreglass?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would give it a good polish with the Farecla gel coat restorer and wax first, I dont see why the Gel coat would have any air bubbles in as it is specifically formulated to cure without being porous.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back