Fiat x250 servicing intervals

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phill D, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Phill D

Phill D

Thought this thread would be of interest to anyone who has an x250 euro 4 or euro 5.

our x250 euro 5 is coming up to 12 months old, so got z call from the local Fiat garage telling me my service was due.
    he told me that although our van has only done 5000 miles mostly motorway that a full service was necessary to maintain our warranty. £350:Sad::cry:
    So i called another Fiat service centre and was told i needed a short service £135. :cry:
    Duley read up the hand book and it says 48000kms or miles equivelant or 24 months.

So called back the Fiat garage and had the discussion, they insisted a service was required to maintain warranty.Eek!:

So called Fiat camper assist and this is what they confirmed.....
    To maintain my warranty i needed to comply as follows..
    48000kms or mile equiv, or 24 months and on a euro 5 or if the particulate filter lite comes on asap. I need not have any service irrespective of the miles covered unless it was 48000kms or 24 months. Only normal top up of levels. Also that it need not go to a Fiat service agent as long as the service is fully recorded and good oil and parts are used and the recipt is kept. :thumb:

So beware parting with your hard earned cash through fear factor:thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  2. GaryW

GaryW Funster

Thanks for the confirmation Phil,I have a Fiat X250 euro 5 and was sure I had read the service interval was 24 months.
    Mine was first registered 15/04/2012 so that now gives me plenty of time before my first service is due.
    Just got the habitation service to sort out now for this year.
    Gary.

3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Just checked my handbook x250 2008 Euro 4 and service interval is 45000 kms. :Eeek:

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Fiat service schedules

This subject has been discussed on the forum before - Fiat really ought to sort it out.

The dealers are just putting a doubt into peoples minds and causing them to have an unnecessary service and extra expense.:Angry:

5. aba

aba

it is recommended that if not serviced that you take it and get the brakes and other things checked every 12 months.
    if not by the time it gets to 24 months some things could be beyond a simple clean and lubricate and need replacing especially if you have been using it at this time of year when they put that nice corrosive rock salt on the roads.

6. Phill D

Phill D

I agree that there are many things you can do " by choice " to look after your baby, not be conned by some service agent who want you to believe they know best. i just wanted to clear up the position on maintaining my warranty. Which is what i have done for myself. It is always wise to keep a watchfull eye on things.

I regularly crawl under the van and have look around and clean out potential areas that might hold muck or salt, all depends on the individuals skills and knowledge. Like many on here i have an engineering background, i guess that helps me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Funnily enough I too was looking into this as our camper will be a year old at the beginning of June right in the middle of our 47 day foreign holiday! :RollEyes: I too was sure we didn't have to have a mechanical service until 2 years old but the information isn't that 'clear', so I'm pleased someone else has clarified it for me. Ta chuck!:Smile:

We will still have to have a habitation service carried out though, but the Swift SuperSure warranty says:

So at least there's some 'leeway' in that so I don't need to worry.:thumb:

8. busby

busby Funster

I would not run any diesel engine for more than 8000 miles without an oil and filter change and no matter what the mileage would always service at least once a year. Busby.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Phill D

Phill D

Interesting opinion, whats it 8000 miles based on please? As modern engines and synthetc oils are way ahead of what we were used to only a few years ago:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mel

Mel Funster

You whould have not been happy with our firm then .

Oil and filter changed at 100000km 62000 mls.

Mercedes actros.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  11. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

Can't see the point in spending 50k+ or whatever on a motorhome and then skimping on the maintenance.
    Our local Fiat van centre did an oil and filter change for £160 incl VAT at 12mths 4000mls.
    Adjusted hand brake etc and gave a once over.
    I feel that since we obviously did not buy the vehicle from the dealer it helps to build up a relationship with them in case a warranty claim arises.

12. Phill D

Phill D

The point i was trying to make is what is required to maintain your Fiat warranty not what you choose to do with your prize possession.

That is your and my choice, not any garage or service agents.

This is not about skimping on service.

What you feel comfortable with is what you should do.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Our van is now due everything being 3 years old and I am never sure which service it needs, full or interim?
    MARQUIS offers 3 platinum, gold, silver some with mot some without, very confusing.
    Not sure which one to go for, it's been serviced every year, even the first year and we were told after that it did not need it.
    We didn't use fiat service centres last year but was assured that fiat parts were used, lot cheaper than fiat and was assured that the warranty would still be valid, a lot cheaper!

14. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Quite right to, with todays oils and modern day engineering tolerances 20.000miles shouldn`t be a problem.
    Having said that I`m still old school and even though I`m a retired engineer that worked for Shell Oils and Chemicals I still change my oil and filters twice a year, for the small cost involved the glow plugs and injectors stay squeeky clean plus I get to look at and check the vehicle over.:thumb:

Ha My Honda VFR gets the oil and fliter changed 3 times a year but that is pampered:man_in_love:

15. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

My van gets serviced and maintained by Adams Morey a well known and reputable chain of commercial vehicle garages in the south.
    Ever since 2007 I alternate annually with low mileage service one year and full service the opposing year.
    This not only satisfies me but Adams Morey and Fiat as well.

16. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I too was subject to this conn with my local Fiat dealer last year and in spite of drawing to their attention the servicing details on the Fiat website they insisted I required an annual service.
    When I queried this with Fiat Customer Support (More like Fiat Business Support) they told me it was OK for dealers to offer something different to what they recommended.

I took this up with Trading standards as I had emails from both the Dealer and Fiat customer support to substantiate my complaint.

Trading Standards upheld my complaint and attempted to contact Fiat Customer Support who repeatedly refused to reply.

In the end, I received an email from Trading Standards which said they would write to my local dealer and warn him against this practice and they would be monitored. They also said they could go no further with Fiat as their Customer Support was based in Italy and they would not respond to them.

So in essence, Fiat are aware what is going on and are not willing to correct their Dealers on this shoddy practice. As for these Dealers, well their just ripping off their customers.

• Like Like x 3
  17. arao99

arao99 Funster

I have a motorhome based on the Peugeot Boxer euro 5 that is less than 12 months old . The handbook says that if i do less that 8000 mile in the first year it must be serviced to keep the warranty,otherwise 2 years and 20,000 miles. Is this not the same engine as the FIat x250?:RollEyes:

18. Phill D

Phill D

i believe it is the same engine but the Peugeot ones are usually slightly less bhp i think for some reason.

just goes to show the differing outlooks by manufacturers ( badge placers ).

the man i spoke to at Fiat services UK was quiet clear what was needed to maintain warranty he also stated what we choose to do extra outside that is by choice but has to be to the standards set out in the schedule, i.e. quality of oils / filters etc. and the book stamped keeping all receipts.